• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

O ring for 12 bolt wheel ?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my taco Tuesday is ruined because I can’t find a good answer for my issue. Removing runflats and putting wheels back together.. Ordered black o ring, because that’s what came out of it.. Now I’m seeing Red..🤯... Should it be red or black ?? Looking through all the posts, new 12 bolt versus old 12 bolt.. Black old one, red new one.. 😖..

Here’s some pics of rim..

7B324578-A2B3-4C03-AACC-7ABBD7EFA738.jpeg52EAB492-6B12-4D4A-B1F9-D67335802F22.jpeg675BBF06-5A19-48D9-8AE7-484BC009FBD4.jpeg99611C13-D84B-4B2E-8A8E-7CF49E9BEE79.jpeg
And O ring

7DCC0BC8-7B51-4F63-B452-677B3A1BF9E7.jpeg
many input would be greatly appreciated..

Ocho out

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like someone put the wrong o rings in, they should not be distorted, red should be the color for those rims AFAICR.

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like someone put the wrong o rings in, they should not be distorted, red should be the color for those rims AFAICR.
I was thinking same thing.. Well, once I get rest of em ripped apart I’ll see if they all have black...now the question is did the improper o rings deform my wheel so that I won’t get a good seal with the red o rings 🤯. Any good sources for red rings that aren’t $20 a piece 😂

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking same thing.. Well, once I get rest of em ripped apart I’ll see if they all have black...now the question is did the improper o rings deform my wheel so that I won’t get a good seal with the red o rings 🤯. Any good sources for red rings that aren’t $20 a piece 😂
They will probably be OK, the ones I got off of Fleabay did not fit, stick with a reputable seller and $20.00 ea. would be worth it if they were correct.

papakb

I've been running 12 bolt wheels with #457 black Buna N O-rings in them for 20 years. No problems, make sure your wheels are clean and it doesn't hurt to put a very light coat of grease on them. Fastenal and McMaster-Carr have them for around $10.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old 12 bolt has a bigger diameter Oring...groove is bigger,
late 12 bolt and 24 bolt use red coated skinny Oring....small groove.

Action

If your new red orings are slightly too big to stay in the groove, put them in freezer for an hour or so. Then get them into wheel and use a few regular nuts to bring the wheel halves together quickly and evenly. Then start with the locknuts and torque pattern.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to do the coating of grease on the rim pieces as well.
A lot of people say it's to help hold the o-ring in place when you are tightening the rm down, but my thought is that the grease will let the o-ring slip into the groove if it is out of location by a little bit. As long as the spot you start at first has the o-ring in the groove, the rest of it should go in if you take it slow tightening everything down.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I worked for Firestone we were taught to NEVER apply ANY petroleum product to a tire, over time it will deteriorate the rubber tires are made of.
So I always use Murphy's tire soap on anything to do with tires, I get it in 5 gal buckets and it has the constancy of grease but is made from vegetable oil.

Having said that a small amount on the o ring would probably not be an issue, but never use grease or say WD40 on a tire bead, if you have nothing else use dish soap.

One other great use for the tire soap is you can pack a tire that lacks even 2-3 inches from the bead to the rim and it will fill up and seat, and you recover most of the soap as it is pushed out and what you do not recover does not hurt anything, and when you are done your hands rinse off clean as a whistle!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was primarily that petroleum eats natural rubbers, but the majority of rubber we use these days is synthetic based, not natural, so not affected by it.
Otherwise, wouldn't all of our tires be disintegrating from being in contact with a freshly paved/sealed roadway?

I'd imagine it has the same basic roots as not setting batteries onto concrete or they will go dead.
Early batteries had the outer box made of wood, and the electrolyte would soak into it or leak slightly, providing a path for electricity to discharge over time. The discharge rate would be much higher on surfaces that could react with the battery acid, such as metal or concrete.
With modern battery cases being made of plastic, this is no longer any type of issue, but I still sometimes hear people not to leave batteries sitting on concrete.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was primarily that petroleum eats natural rubbers, but the majority of rubber we use these days is synthetic based, not natural, so not affected by it.
Otherwise, wouldn't all of our tires be disintegrating from being in contact with a freshly paved/sealed roadway?

I'd imagine it has the same basic roots as not setting batteries onto concrete or they will go dead.
Early batteries had the outer box made of wood, and the electrolyte would soak into it or leak slightly, providing a path for electricity to discharge over time. The discharge rate would be much higher on surfaces that could react with the battery acid, such as metal or concrete.
With modern battery cases being made of plastic, this is no longer any type of issue, but I still sometimes hear people not to leave batteries sitting on concrete.
They still use natural rubber in the formula for tires, that is why we are being warned about upcoming tire shortages because of some storm that damaged many of the rubber plantations.
Tires.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks