• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oA little ferret story

teletech

I'd looked at this thread before and found it inspiring, if a bit daunting. As a fellow ferret owner I know how much work some of that took!
I notice you have kept the stowage from the Mk2 conversion, are you going to look for the MK1 bins or leave it as-is? It's certainly functional like that since you can use the bins for general stowage.
I guess I'll have to make a set of perimeter rubbers for mine. First I have to make the front filler since that's missing on mine. Then I need to come up with a pintle setup. I'm fine with either 1919 or BREN. I've got a decent shop setup, perhaps if you haven't already cut your BREN mount we could work something out where I copy it with the modifications to suit the 1919.

I'd also love to know where you found the information on the serial numbers and such as I still have nary a shred of useful marking to confirm the CRN and would love to know where (if anywhere) mine travelled to.

Ferretboy

Captain stevens has a wealth of info on the ferrets....he also sent me copies of war diaries from egypt and cyprus...some pages list car numbers of ferrets that were there.....

teletech

Captain stevens has a wealth of info on the ferrets....he also sent me copies of war diaries from egypt and cyprus...some pages list car numbers of ferrets that were there.....
I saw Captain Stevens site, nothing for my particular vehicle there so I guess it didn't travel the world like yours did. I was just hoping to pin down it's regiment and service as a start.

teletech

Oh, that's very interesting, the Canadian Ferret has a *very* different stowage arrangement than the British. Much more like a Mk2 British than a Mk1, but not that either since it appears they didn't have any sten magazine boxes. I'd be interested to know if that was always the case or if they changed things at some point. I guess when they transitioned from the Bren to the Browning is when that would have happened as I think they did start with the Bren. Haven't decided which way to go yet myself but your choice was clearly a good call since you have those nice service pics to work with!
What did the Canadian crews use for dismounted weapons? SLR/SMG or did they just carry an Ingles Hi-Power and hope for the best?

You mentioned you were going to reproduce a cradle for the 1919, how did that go and do your have working drawings you could share?

Last edited:

Ferretboy

The canadian eme manual instructions for stowage bins are all dated oct. 65.....when they switched to the 1919.....also i dont have any lists for the unef 2 ferrets or the ones sent to germany for nato exersises..yours may have been in there somewhere...

Ferretboy

Hello teletech....if you thinking of replacing the hub and tracta seals look on youtube.....daimler ferret scout car hub seal replacement....the guy is a brit with a a un white painted mk.2....just a few videos but very nice....and dont worry about replacing the grease zerks.....ha ha.....best to you mate...

teletech

Hello teletech....if you thinking of replacing the hub and tracta seals look on youtube.....daimler ferret scout car hub seal replacement....the guy is a brit with a a un white painted mk.2....just a few videos but very nice....and dont worry about replacing the grease zerks.....ha ha.....best to you mate...
I saw the videos, well done but I do wish he did a text block listing sources for parts and part numbers.

So based on the facebook page, just about everybody with a ferret in the USA had it out on the road over the weekend. Hopefully you got out and about.

Ferretboy

Im getting my fuel tank out to do a relining job....have no time for parties or the sort......getting ready for winter ....or ...what ever may be coming....good luck yee all.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks