• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Obscure question, MEP-831A

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know (because I can't find this documented in the manuals, all of which I have hard-copies of) the actual SIZE of the oil-drain-plug mounted in the side of the skid?

I haven't lost the plug or anything like that, but what I really want is a hose-adapter for that port... because I'm just tired of oil running down the side of that skid and dripping all over the garage floor.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume the baby MEP has NPT threads like its bigger brothers, so just pull the plug and head over to a hardware or plumbing supply shop and match up with some fittings. Seems the 831 doesnt have a proper -24P for the machine (I saw one for the engine in the TM section here, but not for the whole machine).

I think I sourced a 1/2-14 air hose adapter with straight threads that worked fine on my 802. Going off memory here. Does the 831 plug accept a 3/8" socket square shaft to loosen?

Guyfang

Staff member
Tech Info
THREAD CLASS2A 1ST END BULKHEAD
CONNECTION STYLEPLAIN (PIPE) ALL ENDS
CONNECTION TYPETHREADED INTERNAL PIPE ALL ENDS
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 3/8 INCHES ALL ENDS
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE1 INCHES 1ST END BULKHEAD
NOMINAL OVERALL LENGTH1 39/125 INCHES
MATERIALSTEEL OVERALL
STYLE DESIGNATORTHREADED INTERNAL
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORNPT ALL ENDS
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNF 1ST END BULKHEAD
FURNISHED ITEMS AND QUANTITY1 BULKHEAD NUT

Ray70

In simple terms, the thread is a 3/8" NPT pipe thread.
If you mean it drips and makes a mess when you change the oil, a simple solution is to just screw in a 6" long piece of 3/8" black iron pipe, heat up the engine, drain the oil, remove the pipe and stick the plug back in.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In simple terms, the thread is a 3/8" NPT pipe thread.
If you mean it drips and makes a mess when you change the oil, a simple solution is to just screw in a 6" long piece of 3/8" black iron pipe, heat up the engine, drain the oil, remove the pipe and stick the plug back in.
And that's exactly what I was planning to do.

Thank you all for the information

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a short piece of stainless steel pipe, and it fits the oil port perfectly. Problem solved.

New problem tho… I tried to start it last week with a couple of UPS batteries in series. Got the fuel pump to run, but it wouldn’t turn over.

I figured the batteries were too small, and/or didn’t deliver enough amperage… so I got two powersports batteries (about 300CCA each), put them in series, and tried to hook up the generator. Holy Arc-Flash, Batman… melted the terminal on one of the batteries trying to hook them up.

The connections are right, polarity is correct, as is the voltage, but something is shorted in the genset. I can’t even hook the batteries up without a shower of sparks.

I’m wondering if the solenoid is bad/stuck.

Ray70

Definitely sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck or you have a wire backwards.
I've been using the small 12V 21AH batteries in my 831, my 4 wheelers and my son's LPW2 powered tractor all with no issues.
They're cheap and I can lay them on their side in the tractor with no issues.
I'd disconnect your starter wire and see if that stops the flaming arc show when you hook up the batteries.
If so trace backwards through the start circuit until you find the problem.... probably the solenoid.

Ray70

Based on your first post I am going on the assumption that you've had this gen for a while and it's been working correctly until now, right?
And all you did was add the oil drain extension and some new batteries??

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No… this genset is new to me. Reportedly ran before it went into storage. Last serviced in 2021. It’s not seized-up or anything of the sort. I’ve owned a bunch of generators over the years (mostly Kohler and Honda), but this is my first of this sort.

I’ve already done all the usual stuff. Replaced all filters, changed the oil, etc.

Whatever it wrong, something is drawing a LOT of amps when I try to hook up the batteries, and they’re definitely hooked up correctly. Next step is obviously to check that solenoid, and if it’s dodgy in any way, I’ll just replace it (probably should anyway, just on general principle)

It’s on the back side of the engine… so I suspect you have to remove the exhaust to get to it?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...It’s on the back side of the engine… so I suspect you have to remove the exhaust to get to it?
No need to pull the exhaust. Just unhook the wires going to it.
Then remove the two bolts securing the starter to the engine and remove the starter.

There is also relay K2 involved with the starter operation.
1708186877906.png

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you gentlemen getting your Yanmar engine parts? Who is the best online source to deal with?

Got the solenoid out... need to source a new one.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to get parts from fleebay, my local Yanmar dealer and some of the guys from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how I didn't think to check Ebay, but my first hit turned up exactly what I needed.

Gracias.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well... that was interesting.

I changed out the solenoid, and hooked everything back up... no arcing or shower-of-sparks this time... so that's an improvement.

But I thought I smelled smoke, so I turned it to run with the intention to start it, and smoke began pouring out of the starter. I quickly disconnected the batteries.

So it looks like I need a new starter.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few new ones on ebay for $75 to $100
Which ones are you seeing? The ones I see don't look like they'll fit the genset: they're all 12V

114362-77010 is the part number I searched for.

Also tried S114-414A, but all of those I've found are also 12V

DD58

Which ones are you seeing? The ones I see don't look like they'll fit the genset: they're all 12V

114362-77010 is the part number I searched for.

Also tried S114-414A, but all of those I've found are also 12V
364635653813 this is the eBay listing number I have been watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks