• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

October is Hurricane Relief MV Recognition Thread

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Last month SS member CMPhil had a great idea...that was to enter all military vehicles/owners who assisted in hurricane relief in a "Recognition" thread where there are no winners or losers.:beer:

There will be no "Nomination, or Vote Threads" this month.

Instead, anyone who assisted in any way with their MV's during the three major hurricanes this year are welcome and urged to post pics of their MV's in action.

As stated, there will be no competition, no voting, and no winners or losers.

This thread will run the entire Month of October to allow most relief workers to get back home, have a little R&R, gather their thoughts, and hopefully post up some pics of them in action.

On or around the 31st of October we will close this thread and patracy will post a revolving slide show of participants in the "MV of the Month Winner" area on the left side of the main SS page.

So...If you used your MV during hurricane relief operations please post up some pics and maybe a little of your story so the rest of us can show our appreciation for your efforts.:goodjob:

The only rule this month is that your MV HAD to be used in some way in relief/rescue operations during/after the 3 major hurricanes this year.

Please don't be shy. We know many of you do not like to be in the "lime light" but we just want to share whatever experiences you are willing share with us.

OK...who wants to get the ball rolling??

Last edited:

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When Hurricane Harvey was coming onshore, I contacted Waller County officials offering the use of three HMMWVs (I kept two for my use in case the need arose). Within an hour or so, first responders from the Pattison Area Volunteer Fire Department arrived and left with two M-1038 and one M998. They were used with PAVFD's 5 ton (Big Bertha) along with another individual's 5 ton. My understanding is that the FMVs made more rescues in Waller County than all the boats combined.
Hurricane Harvey Humvee Staging.jpg21105980_10154787847267109_7839133882153930451_n.jpg21150468_10154786022422109_5016693013783412899_n.jpgBoom Kurtin at night.jpgwater fording.jpgwater fording 2.jpg21151416_10154787847247109_3245205067228874850_n.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our small community needs this thread. We have a small, tight knit group. Our motives are often misunderstood and misconstrued. The world needs to know the value of civilian military vehicle ownership. We care about our country, our communities, our families. Our trucks save lives.

To every MV owner involved in rescue and recovery efforts: THANK YOU for spending your precious time, effort, energy, and money. Thank you for putting yourselves in harm's way to help others. Y'all stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond the call of duty.
:goodjob:

I'm honored to be associated with this amazing community. I'm proud to be a Steel Soldier. [thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all who participated in these heroic efforts are regular visitors to the SS Forums.

May I respectfully suggest a quick review of the hurricane-specific threads where their usernames can be harvested, then a bulk PM inviting them to this thread.

Their contributions here can be invaluable to the positive Public Relations for the MV hobby and private ownership/availability of MVs in general.

Thank you for spawning this collective.

Carry on.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Our small community needs this thread. We have a small, tight knit group. Our motives are often misunderstood and misconstrued. The world needs to know the value of civilian military vehicle ownership. We care about our country, our communities, our families. Our trucks save lives.

To every MV owner involved in rescue and recovery efforts: THANK YOU for spending your precious time, effort, energy, and money. Thank you for putting yourselves in harm's way to help others. Y'all stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond the call of duty.
:goodjob:

I'm honored to be associated with this amazing community. I'm proud to be a Steel Soldier. [thumbzup]
I'm sure that's what CMPhil was getting at. Making it work will take a little "trial and error" on our part as many of the folks that participated don't really want to be "in the limelight".

And Chaplain, that's why I haven't tried to screen posts/threads on efforts/participation and sorta merge them into this one.

I'm hoping most (or all) participants will eventually see this thread and contribute. That's why patracy wanted to run this thread for the whole month and not "nominate" or "vote" on anything/anyone.

I would hope that anyone that knows of an SS Member participating will pass our intentions on and ask them to participate, or at least let the member that knows them post whatever they are comfortable with.

It's a work in progress and I think it's a very worthy cause.:beer::papabear:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think if we can add to the info provided, actual or estimated number of personnel and/or cargo moved. Cost of any repairs/maintenance after the storm. Info on fuel used (was it paid for by the individual or provided) and the cost to the individual. Anyone that suffered a total loss.

This would be key information we need to be keeping in the future and consolidate in an AAR.

I would also like to know what type of communications people had and if they were effective.

99nouns

You never heard the saying "When right hand shall give charity for good will of God, left hand be not aware" dont hold me up to that quote, but it was along those lines.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You never heard the saying "When right hand shall give charity for good will of God, left hand be not aware" dont hold me up to that quote, but it was along those lines.
I know the feeling very well. I seldom want folks to know about good deeds done in the Lord's Name.....BUT....we just wanted to offer the opportunity to those who MAY want to share an experience.

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
27XS Humvee Water Remediation Unit 1 is fully equipped with all the necessary high tech water remediation equipment. Deployed 27XS Humvee Water Remediation Unit 1 to friend's hangar for light hangar floor sweep since he is out of town. Trey and Mossberg are the other members of the remediation team addressing our friend's floor. Actually, we just like playing with his hangar toys when he is not there.

Mad Dog Kelly Water Sweep.jpgMad Dog Kelly Water Sweep 3.jpgMad Dog Kelly Water Sweep 4.jpg

AndyT

I am not one for the "lime light", but I do appreciate the sentiment of this thread. So here is a few pics. A total of 8 days straight beginning that Sunday if memory serves.. up to 6ft of water about 50% of the time. 2 impassable areas (water already in the cab), 1 no start issue (drowned out starter, worked till midnight to fix. Back up at 0500), 1 brake issue (got off sideways in a ditch and gravel found its way into a tandem drum.squealed somethin terrible), about 60$ a day in diesel, pulled a dump truck full of rescues out of a drainage ditch, transported supply and rescues between shelters on the dry days , pulled about 300 people out of the water between Sunday and Wednesday, cleared roadways of stalled vehicles, volunteered aid with Harris County high water rescue and local police depts., . That's about it for the recap... had a few hair raising situations, got real tired, and was soaked for more time I care to be soaked for. I now have a greater appreciation for dry underware haha.

20171009_142619.jpg20170829_174807_001.jpg20170829_212624.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am not one for the "lime light", but I do appreciate the sentiment of this thread. So here is a few pics. A total of 8 days straight beginning that Sunday if memory serves.. up to 6ft of water about 50% of the time. 2 impassable areas (water already in the cab), 1 no start issue (drowned out starter, worked till midnight to fix. Back up at 0500), 1 brake issue (got off sideways in a ditch and gravel found its way into a tandem drum.squealed somethin terrible), about 60$ a day in diesel, pulled a dump truck full of rescues out of a drainage ditch, transported supply and rescues between shelters on the dry days , pulled about 300 people out of the water between Sunday and Wednesday, cleared roadways of stalled vehicles, volunteered aid with Harris County high water rescue and local police depts., . That's about it for the recap... had a few hair raising situations, got real tired, and was soaked for more time I care to be soaked for. I now have a greater appreciation for dry underware haha.

DANG Andy...that's about it??????? Holy smokes....THAT's a lot!!!:beer:

I know your fellow SS Brothers appreciate you taking time to share a little of your experience....BUT....I know those you helped will NEVER forget what you did to help them.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thanked your post earlier, but just now have a moment to type.....

What you've done - all of you - whether you think it's much or not was most likely the act of an angel in the eyes of those whom you benefited. Being humble about it OK. Being one of those strong enough, equipped enough, and willing enough to do it is what makes you extraordinary in our eyes. Thank you for being a light in the darkness.

May you be blessed in all ways, always.

AndyT

DANG Andy...that's about it??????? Holy smokes....THAT's a lot!!!:beer:

I know your fellow SS Brothers appreciate you taking time to share a little of your experience....BUT....I know those you helped will NEVER forget what you did to help them.
Well thank you sir. I didn't really think it was all too much... given that some folks (ss members, Cajun navy etc..) left their families for 2 or 3 weeks and traveled hours from neighboring states. Those guys did alot. All I did was hop on the freeway and go look for folks lol . Would have done more, but coffee and Redbull only get a guy so far haha.