• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD iron rim?

Blake

OD iron rims

I guess the underlying question is if the OD iron rim meet or exceed the standards set for in section 571-120 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (Chapter V--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT, under Title 49)?

There is alot of liability rolling around on a set of rims whether they be stock or custom.

bottleworks

I guess the underlying question is if the OD iron rim meet or exceed the standards set for in section 571-120 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (Chapter V--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT, under Title 49)?

There is alot of liability rolling around on a set of rims whether they be stock or custom.

I believe his point is that MVs are not DOT approved. I would also assume that the stock wheels are also not DOT approved. :?:

sprucemt

That would be the precise reason why a good friend and I choose not to mfg and sell custom wheels for the conversions. All it takes is one tiny little misshap.

bottleworks

If you have a license plate on your MV, you would have to THINK that the vehicles meet DOT regs for the year of mfg.

THINK.

Well, I will take your advice. Let's think. Sense you are talking about my MV registered in NC, I will talk NC law. I can build my own car and title/register it in NC. It does NOT require to meet fed DOT requirements for titling. I have attached that section from the NC title manual. So, what makes you think that just because there a license plate on a vehicle, "you would have to THINK that the vehicles meet DOT regs"?

Let's think. Your attitude seems to stem from your hatred of anyone on here remotely promoting OD Iron. ...And to THINK... This isn't even my issue, I just posted to clarify his point that he was making.

I've seen the DOT stamp on stock deuce wheels.
That's good! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

yorkgulch2

A Denver wheel builder told me that cdot told him if the rim has the correct DOT stamp for the load etc. you can put your own choice of centers in it. You are still liable for the built wheel.

randyscycle

If you have a license plate on your MV, you would have to THINK that the vehicles meet DOT regs for the year of mfg.

THINK.
Most military vehicles are exempt from the DOT standards, or more correctly Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in place today.

After 1967 any vehicle operated on public roads has to have dual circuit brakes, padded dashes, DOT approved lighting, defrosters, electric wipers, and a myriad other small things. Not much on any deuce manufactured after 1967 fits these requirements, but again because the vehicles were never intended for the general public and only for military use, they were exempted.

That is one reason why no more HMMWV's are being sold to the public.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the anti OD Iron crowd is alive and well! Mike must be doing OK, everytime the ODI bashing starts, business goes through the roof!

Wolf, do you see a problem with these wheels? Can you elaborate on your findings from that detailed picture? What wheels do you reccomend so I can get some?

sprucemt

I see the anti OD Iron crowd is alive and well! Mike must be doing OK, everytime the ODI bashing starts, business goes through the roof!

Not me Kenny.

But again you all don't get it. The Deuces and HMMWV's do meet Federal requirements because they are exempt from them. The HMMWV's did not and can not meet CARB and Federal emission standards.

sprucemt

Well, I will take your advice. Let's think. Sense you are talking about my MV registered in NC, I will talk NC law. I can build my own car and title/register it in NC. It does NOT require to meet fed DOT requirements for titling. I have attached that section from the NC title manual. So, what makes you think that just because there a license plate on a vehicle, "you would have to THINK that the vehicles meet DOT regs"?

Let's think. Your attitude seems to stem from your hatred of anyone on here remotely promoting OD Iron. ...And to THINK... This isn't even my issue, I just posted to clarify his point that he was making.

What attitude? I made two statements in two seperate post's none of which has anything to do with the above mentioned business. I thought this was an interesting subject and had some interesting responses.

Blake

Bottleworks, If you want to talk NC law, you better read the document you posted. MVR-55 must be signed and notarized as steps in your instructions. North Carolina MVR-55 states:

This is to certify that I,____________________________, did assemble or
alter the ___ custom built (one of a kind) or ___ replica (kit) or ___ Street Rod
vehicle for which I have furnished proof of ownership, from various and sundry
parts. I further certify that this vehicle meets the Federal and North Carolina
Department of Transportation motor vehicle specifications and is mechanically
safe to operate upon the public highways. I additionally certify that the vehicle
was constructed or altered in the following manner: (Describe in detail the type of
construction, assembly of the vehicle and source of the parts used)

You sign and have notarized a statement saying it does indeed meet Federal and NCDOT motor vehicle specs and is mechanically safe to operate on the highway. I dont know where you get your information but it must indeed meet these requirements.

I have nothing against Mike or OD iron nor do I even know him, I was just commenting on the statements made in this post. Next time, read the complete document you have referenced before you make a post or else it demonstrates your lack of subject matter knowlege and diminishing credibility.

TacticalTruck

Are deuces? M151s? HMMWVs?
I was just asking...:popcorn: There must be a process for getting wheels approved. Look at all the aftermarket wheels. Not to pick on Mike but I'm curious how he designed the wheel and decided things like material thickness and how big he could go on the slots, etc.

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks