• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

od paint in nj

gem1410

Hi--does anyone know who sells Aervoe paint in NJ--I remember some guy out by Cherryhill --Has anyone used Aervoe and how well did it cover--Thanks George

Last edited:

crazyplowboy

A word of warning about Aervoe some of the guys have had problems with it fading pretty bad and actually turning pink if it spends alot of time out side. Some people have no problems with it and some do.

uracal

Aervoe

Aervoe Paint covers very well. The pigment density is very good for the price of the paint. Another plus is that this paint also contains acrylic resin so the addition of a universal acrylic enamel hardener will give that added look, and durability to the paint. I have sprayed this at 8:1 and reducing over 40% with urethane mid temp reducer and had excellent results. I have used Aervoes urethane hardener, but was not as impressed with the results as I was with the "Wet Look" universal acrylic enamel hardener. Also this paint does dry very fast for bulk paint. I would use a more refined reducer to get that coverage you are looking for. Then again, if you are painting out in the wind, rain, and snow just go with xylene.

gem1410

When you use a hardner does the finish stay flat or does it get glossey--with the hardner does the paint scratch alot less--I do paint in the wind outside and had good luck using mineral spirits in a top loading gun--when you reduce 40% how many coats do you need to cover--thanks for the info

emr

ALL mil paint is cheap.period. but as for arvoe it is as good as everything else, and extremly easy to get Al is a top notch guy and a pleasure to deal with,I have picked up paint off his porch at 4 in the morning so i could finish a project the next day, as for the 24087 arvoe is the closest to perfect match by far, also the current woodland is also, when i park next to all the new FMTV's u would think they were all shot at the same time, as for the color change mentioned, i have not wittnessed it, BUT have seen the gilespie 24087 turn so grey i thought this guys M37 was a navy truck, but different people swear by different things, correction the 24087 arvoe on the exhaust pipe near the most heat does turn a little pinkish, but all paint fades there, and paint everything with the same paint engine and all, there is no heat paint out there, it lasts just fine, if u use your truck it will need alot of touch ups anyway, after all it is cheap paint, i painted my 925 at 40 degrees a few years ago and it is just awesome, i certainly would not go below that exept for touch ups and heating the area, these are not corvettes, so good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Randy

Chief1900

Guys let me start by saying I know very little about automotive painting. I will share what little I know. After a long search for a lusterless WWII OD Green paint we settled with Milspray. They have about every color available and were very helpful with coaching me on my decision. Being a novice with paint, I didnt care to mix thinners or hardeners. Thier product was a one part paint. Mix it for five minutes to suspend the heavy pigment and spray it on. It dried fast and covered extremely well. The engineers at Milspray told me one coat would cover my prep surface and would not fade for years. Therefore making it easy to make spot repairs which will be a regular occurance on our vehicle. As for all the mil paint being cheap, I'm not so sure. It looks like we made a good decision but only time will tell. We painted the M54 inside and out, bottom to top and inside the bed with one and one half gallons and got real good coverage.
Don't know if this helps but thought I would share......good luck
:grd:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alan Haage is a good man, excellent service.

I have been using the Aervoe 997B (24084) out of a rattle can since I'm working on a small area at a time (xm757 8x8) and it's almost a perfect match for the Vietnam era OD.
The paint is holding up very well, freshly sprayed paint matches now two year old paint. The 997B is a new formulation and it looks like they took care of the "turning pink" problem, at least in my experience. So far I have used 2 to 3 dozen cans....

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike_Pop

I will never use Aervoe again. I bought several gallons and cans from Alan. Some of the gallons were like peanut butter and some were watery. This was after mixing.

All of the surfaces that I have painted with Aervoe from a spray can or gallon have turned to a chalky gray color wherever the sun hit it in a matter of two years. It's a horrible paint and the manufacturer won't do anything about it. mangus580 contacted them and got nowhere.

Stay away from Aervoe!

Before and after pics, you can see where the wheel well kept one area shaded and less faded:

Attachments

emr

I bought 30 + gallons over the years from Al, all good and up to date, never never saw arvoe turn grey, and no one else has either around here, I have to say U sure did get a bad batch or really messed it up, I said earlier all mil paint is cheap, and noticed a post saying maybe not, by cheap I mean it is not body shop grade paint, it is awesome for what it is, just saying it is inexpensive, and is what it is meant to be, My 24087 arvoe on one truck was in the sun for 10 plus years and only like all the rest of arvoe 24087 just got that awesome jungle dark tint we see in dockumentary's, it is the best for certain colors and to each his own, what one guy loves another may not, but for Al, He is nice and top notch to deal with...Even His spray cans are good, BUT remember ALL spray cans need to be shaken for a proper amount of time, they ALL DO thicken up , and i will say I have brought paint back for use that was so hard U would not believe it, it can and is done, it requires patience and a little now how, old paint works, it just cant be rushed, i have 15 gals from the Armory they were throwing out, all hard, when i need it i warm it up a little and start the mixing process, free paint is nice, and it is the real deal also, and that also again means, it is was it is, not auto grade paint, mil paint is very very forgiving, but people sure can screw it up,...oh I bad mouth no one,unless in person that is,well in general talk but i always back it up, im going to call Al,sounds fishy,I do spend the money to use all the products from the person i buy from when possible, one can not complain if one did not use the products recomended and followed the recomdations, but love to say good things about those who deserve....and Al does...Randy

Mike_Pop

Randy,

I never had a problem with Alan. He's just the middle man. However, I've bought several different batches of gallons and spray cans with the same results: everything turns gray. In my opinion, it's an inferior paint compared to what else is out there.

uracal

Aervoe 24087 painted 2 years ago stored outside

Painted with Aervoe 24087. Applied to 320 dry sanded urethane primer. An epoxy sealer was used. The Aervoe was applied with an air assisted electrostatic airless. A synthetic hardener was used with a synthetic reducer. Three medium coats were applied, then a very reduced ~2:1 fill in coat to smooth out the previous coats. This truck gets used by a construction company as a water truck for "environmental dust control", and compaction and is stroed outside year round in full sun. 5 gallons were used to cover the truck top to bottom, and inside the cab. For the money this was the perfect topcoat. If the truck looks a little faded in a few more years it can be easily scuffed down with a scuff pad and reshot. This is the second year at the Weare Military show.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks