• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Air pack question

98hd

I have an XM818 (or most of one), that I don't know what to do with, but have been tossing around some ideas in my melon. It's either come up with something or part it out.

I know on these trucks the brakes work when flat towed, when hooked up to the towed trucks service line. Which proves they can be actuated via an external air supply.

Would it be possible to actuate the brakes via a standard air brake pedal, air in, and air out to the air pack? Seems it would be. Now the big question, would it be safe?

From what I can tell there would still need to be a master cylinder, or maybe even just a reservoir, to hold the brake fluid.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Correct, i think you'd be better off using a master cyl as the brakes have to be in working order for the air to work, that would mean a brake system that has been bled of air in the lines.

sandcobra164

I've thought of doing this on a Deuce before but in a completely different fashion. My thoughts were to run a pair of M105 brake actuators over the rear tandems to give a simple "split" system solution, capping the line going to the rear and leaving the front end stock. The problem that arises is it would likely be fine for a purely off road set up. If involved in an accident on the road, I'm sure my lack of knowledge, much less an engineering degree and documentation proving that the system is certified "safe" would open me up to all sorts of litigation. I would simply fix the system or do as member "Airbornebandsman"? did and convert to a full air system by modeling what is used on an M939 series trucks. He did a great write up of it but I'm horrible at searching and attaching threads.

98hd

I've thought of doing this on a Deuce before but in a completely different fashion. My thoughts were to run a pair of M105 brake actuators over the rear tandems to give a simple "split" system solution, capping the line going to the rear and leaving the front end stock. The problem that arises is it would likely be fine for a purely off road set up. If involved in an accident on the road, I'm sure my lack of knowledge, much less an engineering degree and documentation proving that the system is certified "safe" would open me up to all sorts of litigation.I would simply fix the system or do as member "Airbornebandsman"? did and convert to a full air system by modeling what is used on an M939 series trucks. He did a great write up of it but I'm horrible at searching and attaching threads.
I've seen his thread. Rather than do the conversion, it is probably easier and cheaper to just start with a decent M939 series truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks