• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odd cold start problem

PAm1009

This has happened twice to me in the past couple weeks. My girlfriend lives on top of a steep hill i park my truck (1009) facing uphill when i come out in the morning it does want to fire up its it cranks and cranks i cycle the plugs and hold my foot all the way down on the accelarator and finally goes but is real rough and i have 3/4's of a tank of diesel in it so i know it has plenty of fuel. This is my DD i have had it for 3years with no major problems. I do know my passenger side GP's are going but the truck fires just fine in the morning even when its 18 degrees out. What would cause this to happen? like i said i drive my 1009 everyday and is a great truck this is just baffling my head. Plus i dont want to burn my starter up. Once its running and i shut it off it fies up fine even sitting at my work for 8 hours. Would a big incline like that have effect on starting my truck. I would say it does 2 out of 8 times im am at her house. Thanks for the help
kyle

cpf240

Any smoke from the tailpipe when it doesn't start? If so, what color? My first guess would be that air is getting into the fuel lines. Others have had issues when parking on an incline. Try backing in and see if that makes a difference. You could also replace the short section of fuel line from the check valve on the IP with a clear one so you can see if there are bubbles in the fuel.

Scarecrow1

Like the man said try the reverse parking and see if it make a diff . I wonder if it could also have something to do with how much fuel you have in the tank . I wonder if the angle is steep enough for the pickup tube to be sucking air . Let us know for sure it is an interesting problem........

stationjj

Interesting Post.

A month ago I had my tail end backed up a ramp while installing a hitch. I had plenty of fuel almost a full tank.

When we tried to start it wouldn't turn over. GP were cycling but she wouldn't start. It drove 10 miles with no issues. I could tell the batteries were getting weak after my attempts to start. I rolled the truck off the ramp onto level ground overnight. Charged up my batteries and returned the next morning. The CUCV started up without a hitch the next morning.

It hasn't happened again, but I haven't parked it on a steep incline or ramp. I was very odd I must say.

stationjj

cpf240

Interesting Post.

A month ago I had my tail end backed up a ramp while installing a hitch. I had plenty of fuel almost a full tank.

When we tried to start it wouldn't turn over. GP were cycling but she wouldn't start. It drove 10 miles with no issues. I could tell the batteries were getting weak after my attempts to start. I rolled the truck off the ramp onto level ground overnight. Charged up my batteries and returned the next morning. The CUCV started up without a hitch the next morning.

It hasn't happened again, but I haven't parked it on a steep incline or ramp. I was very odd I must say.

stationjj
First off, I wish people would not say "wouldn't turn over" when they mean "wouldn't start". "Wouldn't turn over", to me, implies that the batteries were dead, the starter wouldn't spin, or the engine was seized.

Secondly, this is the first time I've read of someone fixing a CUCV by removing a trailer hitch. :-D

PAm1009

Havent tried parking down hill yet ill try next time im there. IP does sound right becasue i parked up hill about 2 weeks ago same spot in 18 degree weather and it started fine in the morning. But the truck runs ans drives as should idles real nice no lack of power or anything kinda wierd to me. Thanks for the help everybody this is boggling my mind.
kyle

edpdx

I had the same problem when parking nose up hill. Everytime I parked this way for more than a couple of hours, it was a pain to start- like there was no fuel available. It is the fuel running back toward the tank, thanks to gravity... gravity, it used to be fun, now it's a law. :cookoo:

Found a hole in one of the rubber lines from the fuel pump. It was just big enough to be affected by the vacuum of the fuel getting pulled to the tank. Check for a fuel leak in your rubber lines or in the filter assembly. Lot's of posts about that.