• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Engine Tick on Right bank VC

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night I noticed a noise that almost sounds like a rocker or two ticking on the right hand bank valve cover. I had been doing an alternator rebuild and new belts two weekends ago and didn't notice this noise. I didn't make any road trips since then. I will be opening up that side of the engine on Thursday evening, any insight would be helpful. This is a stock M1009 with a 6.2 engine.

Thanks in advance,
Bert

Last edited:

Barrman

Taking the valve cover off is a major endeavor. I would suggest you check all the injectors for being tight. Use a 3/4" open end wrench to lossen the line, use a 7/8" open end to make sure the injector is tight and then to hold the injector while you tighten the line back up. Do all 4 on each side of the engine.

Next I would suggest you check the starter motor mount bolts. Both the two main ones and the rear support bracket ones. Make sure the heat gaurd isn't rattling against the exhaust manifold.

Check the mechanical lift pump and the lines for being loose.

I would even go so far as pull a the glow plugs on that side. Inspect and probably replace with a new set of 60G's.

There are a lot of things on these engines that can make noise if they are loose. Another possible culprit is an injector itself. If the spring inside one broke, the plunger sounds like a rod about to come through the block anytime you put even a little bit of throttle to the engine.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman,

Thank you for your input, I will work thru your list and report the findings before I open it up.
I was planning to do new glow plugs and remove the injectors for inspection and cleaning anyhow.

The noise is at idle position and applying throttle.

Bert

Barrman

I bought new injector tips a few years ago and started putting them in the M1009 one at a time. I fired it up after each one to check for leaks. When I started it after the 3rd one, I had a severe knock. I tried to give it throttle and the noise hurt. I had a spring that wasn't right.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the starter and it is tight. I pulled the rear battery and tray to pull the glow plugs from the right bank. The glow plugs on that side look good but I will still replace them. I will pull the injectors next then move to the left side on Saturday.

Bert

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed 8 new AC 60G glow plugs without any issues. I pulled all of the injectors, ultrasonically cleaned them, lightly oiled them and reinstalled. That was allot easier to type than it was to do. All of those little hose clamps on the return lines are a pain.
The noise is gone and still need to wash down the engine bay after bleeding the injector lines. I will take it for a test drive after going out for mothers day with the family.

Bert

Attachments

Hasdrubal

"still need to wash down the engine bay after bleeding the injector lines"

I cut a couple of pieces of cardboard and place them against the inner fenders. Shows the spray pattern well when bleeding injectors. Then there's no clean-up required.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear the noise is gone. Did you figure out which injector might have been the noisy one?
I feel it was the right rear cylinder but I didn't see any definitive reason why. I kept all of them in order while cleaning, then when I installed them I flipped the order (front to back) to see if the noise would move. My test drive went well Sunday after noon. I will wait to see if the noise returns.

"still need to wash down the engine bay after bleeding the injector lines"

I cut a couple of pieces of cardboard and place them against the inner fenders. Shows the spray pattern well when bleeding injectors. Then there's no clean-up required.
I did have most everything covered but still had residue to clean up.

Thanks again,

Bert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks