• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd M1028 bed

cucvrus

did Bubba know to install a diesel drain tube in the back of the block to keep fuel from getting onto the clutch disc & causing premature slippage?

Good question but Bubba may have been good enough to not allow diesel fuel leakage in the first place. Bubba said "If it leaks fix it." And I had an 82 K30 dually with the factory 4 speed 6.2 diesel. When I parted it out I don't recall seeing a drain tube. I seen mention of it and looked for it and it wasn't there. It was a township plow truck and rusted badly with 35K miles on it. salt spreader life tends to do that quickly. But do tell is this tube metal or plastic. Curious because I never seen one. And like I said if it don't leak diesel fuel in the valley all will be well? I ask because a friend just put the big heavy steel 4 speed in his M1009. Hated it and ended up selling it. I told him to rebuild the TH400. But just curious about this tube. Is it threaded into the hole in the rear block valley? Have a Great Day.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the seller to text me the VIN last night. I used the decoder that porksyplace so kindly posted & I ran it through one of those online vehicle reporting deals & it looks like everything lines up. I do have a question though. On paper its listed as
"1986 Chevrolet D30 Military Postal Unit
Regular Cab 2D (6.2L V8 Diesel)". What is a postal unit? I assume it's a truck used on post & not postal as in mail delivery?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I got the seller to text me the VIN last night. I used the decoder that porksyplace so kindly posted & I ran it through one of those online vehicle reporting deals & it looks like everything lines up. I do have a question though. On paper its listed as
"1986 Chevrolet D30 Military Postal Unit
Regular Cab 2D (6.2L V8 Diesel)". What is a postal unit? I assume it's a truck used on post & not postal as in mail delivery?
It’s just how they all show up in the system, nothing out of the ordinary. It’s not really a postal truck.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. Thanks. One more thing. There's no DMV records before 2000. Is it safe to assume that's when the military sold it off to the civilian market?

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I ended up buying the truck w/dropside bed. Turns out there's alot that wasn't original. Cut down deuce bed, 35s, 4spd manual, carpet, buckets & center console outa a blazer.... But who ever did it did a great job. It's all neat & factory looking. The truck runs & drives good, good tires, good brakes has np205. It was about an hour away from me so I drove down after work today & drove it home. Super straight no rust anywhere no dents doors close good. I'm stoked about the truck. It does have a bunch of issues w/the lights. Got head lights & tail lights but no brake no turn. Turn indicators on the dash & the front of the truck both light up when you mash the brake. No dash lights. Got a aftermarket glow plug button & starter button which I'm not crazy about but it works. I really hate electrical problems! I think I got a steal of a deal, $5500.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my old '68 Chevy 4x4 the front turn signals used to come on when the brakes were used, found that the wiring had come loose underneath and was touching the muffler, which melted the insulation off and caused a short. New wire that didn't touch the muffler, and all worked as it should.
Hopefully your problem is that simple.

Congrats on the buy, I probably would have too, it's a cool looking truck.

A set of rear mudflaps off a deuce would close off that area behind the wheels and make it look more "finished", but that's just my opinion. ;)
Don't know the rules up your way, but that would also be a legal requirement down here.

Cheers

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I hope it's something easy like that. Electrical problems usually end up w/me beating my head against the wall.
Does anybody know if the wiring diagrams for an 86 K30 will be the same as an 86 CUCV?

Miah

Thanks. I hope it's something easy like that. Electrical problems usually end up w/me beating my head against the wall.
Does anybody know if the wiring diagrams for an 86 K30 will be the same as an 86 CUCV?
As i understand the 84 K30 would be a closer match, but i wouldn't imagine a person couldn't figure things out. Believe there were minor changes GM implemented over the years that the Cucvs didn't get cause they were built to the 84 spec for their entire run.

MarcusOReallyus

They absolutely will NOT be. The CUCV wiring is unique. There may be some commonalities, but do not use civilian wiring diagrams to troubleshoot this vehicle.

The wiring diagrams, and every other document you need, are available for free download on this site.

EDIT TO ASK: You are aware that the CUCVs have a hybrid 24/12v system, aren't you? Unless a PO has converted it into a 12v, which some do. Some do a good job, some do a horrible hack job which causes them fits and they blame it on the original wiring , which worked just fine before they hacked it. If electrical is not your strong suit, go slow. Don't jump to conclusions if things don't make sense to you. And do NOT start changing things around because you assume the PO obvioulsy got it wrong! Read the Helpful Threads, ask questions here. We'll walk you through it, no problem.

By the way, you do NOT have an 86. The Army specified that they all be built to the 84 model. If you go looking for 86 parts and information, you will get yourself in trouble. Stop thinking it's an 86. It's an 84 that just happened to roll off the assembly line in 86.

Last edited:

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They absolutely will NOT be. The CUCV wiring is unique. There may be some commonalities, but do not use civilian wiring diagrams to troubleshoot this vehicle.

The wiring diagrams, and every other document you need, are available for free download on this site.

By the way, you do NOT have an 86. The Army specified that they all be built to the 84 model. If you go looking for 86 parts and information, you will get yourself in trouble. Stop thinking it's an 86. It's an 84 that just happened to roll off the assembly line in 86.
10-4 thank you

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got all my light issues fixed. Turned out to be a classic case of check the easy stuff 1st. Both bulbs were blown for the rear brake/turn & the reason the turn signals didn't flash & light up when you mash the brake, the hazards were on. Apparently the hazzard flasher is bad cause the weren't flashing but the switch was in the on position. Turned the switch off & bam it all works like it should. I love it when its easy!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1028 dually trucks would have Dana 70HD rear with detroit locker and sway bar setup, which I can't tell for sure, but it looks right. The rear has longer lugs to accomodate the approx 1/2-5/8" spacers that were used between the rear wheels on each side. The spacers allowed running 235/85R16 tires at full GVW. The factory duallies had 215's. Given the tire size on this one, I'd assume it might even have larger spacers?

It appears to have the extended arm driver's side mirror, which would be correct and part of the conversion. There should be a convex passenger mirror, too. Might be some other oddities I am forgetting, but it looks like it could be military, except the 4-spd. That is not a terribly difficult conversion with a parts truck.

The VIN will tell you for sure if it is military. Look for a "D" in the 5th position. While I like traditional bed, it is a nice looking truck. Good luck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it shouldn't scare you off, just keep in mind that any converted parts you need to replace due to age/wear/neglect(it's a 30yo Chevy after all) you'll have to figure out what general age it is before the majority of parts stores can help you. This may have been swapped from a single donor truck, or it may have been cobbled together out of 3-4 of various vintages. You likely won't be able to go anywhere & just say "I need a *insert clutch linkage here* bushing for an 84 Chevy C30"

Is it older mechanical, is it newer hydraulic, did Bubba know to install a diesel drain tube in the back of the block to keep fuel from getting onto the clutch disc & causing premature slippage. etc etc
Well, the drain tube sounds interesting. Did GM use such a critter on civy trucks? I converted my truck. It has all 1984 parts but I've never heard of that drain tube. Off to my parts illustration catalog to see.

Miah

Oh yes, sorry forgot about this one for a bit. Sadly while i still have a NOS drain tube in my parts bin from when i was thinking about converting my old m1009, it sadly doesn't have any part #s on it to help with search.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks