• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odd steering noise

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: odd steering noise

Where did I say replace parts? I said 'Most common places to look'.

Cant fix anything thats making a noise, until you pinpoint where the noise is....

and yes, I am right... PIE has nothing to do with this... and I doubt even a 73Y2 is going to fix it!!

Fred431

Odd stearing noise

Had a similar problem with my M1008. When I turned the wheel either left or right I heard a CLUNK. Couldnt figure where it came from. Finally had the wife sit in the truck with the engine running and had her turn the wheel left and right low and behold when it clunked the stearing box moved. Tightened up the four bolts and no clunk anymore

Fred

EZFEED

RE: Odd stearing noise

Hey you know what else to look at too......check your springs, shackles, U-bolts, and hangers while your under there.
You probably wont be able to "see" this movementif they are loose. Best thing to do is put your finger between the mounting points and have your assistant move the wheels back and forth quickly. If you feel a slight twitch then thats probably your problem. I forgot about this. A slight movement in these parts will transmit to a clunk at road speed. It's not the amount of play but the weight of the parts that do it.

You can also chalk it or paint over it to see if there is any movment. Get back under there after driving a bit and see if the line is broken or the paint is cracked.

dependable

Put vehicle in park, set brake & block tires. Have helper turn steering wheel slowly back and forth with engine ideling. Check for flex in frame, movement of steering gear off frame, downward movement of steering gear output shaft, play in drag link tie rod ends, and bad tie rods.. also check that power steering pump is bolted down.

dependable

If you are referring to me, I,m not too wound up, just don,t like picturing learning mechanics getting hurt on account of any incomplete advice I give.Shake Hands With Danger.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had a broken bolt that held the rear shackle thru the frame, and on another truck, the bushing for the same bolt went away and both times it made a "clunk" that could be felt thru the floor.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: odd steering noise

galeo7171 said:
oh, sorry, Its a 1986 m1009. The noise seems to come from the area where the steering shaft enters the engine compartment
Just re read this. Is the truck an east coast truck? Check the body mounts to make sure they aren't rusted thru and letting the body drop.

maritimer

i bet a set of IR lights the bushins on the front of the front leaf springs are so badly worn that when you turn your wheel the axle shifts and the leaf eyes clunk when they contact the mounts. i k now this cause mine do the same