• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Transfer Tank Install

shannondeese

Awhile back I bought a Dodge Tug for the engine for another project and kept the tank. I finally found a use for the tank yesterday. I needed a bigger fuel tank for a long drive coming up, so I improvised. It pulls from the outlet on the new tank and fills the main deuce tank using a nipple I put in the top of the tank where a 3/8 plug was originally. I used the fuel pump from an arctic heater and a couple feet of fuel hose. I mounted the switch on the dash so while I am driving when the main tank gets low I can flip the switch and pump from the transfer tank to the main tank. It's not perfect but it will give me an additional 40 gallons. Total cost was 15 bucks and left over parts from other completed projects. Further reasons to keep all the extra parts. At least that's what I tell my wife. "I might need that one day" Today just happened to be "one day".

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HA! Great minds think alike. I have a 120gal tank I will be doing the same thing with. I just got ahold of some new deuce in-tank fuel pumps, so I will be using one of those instead of the smaller transfer pump like yours. Glad to see I am not the only one wanting more distance from my truck!

Billy Bobbed

I'm thinking of putting a 2nd tank on the drivers side were the spare tire goes,and put the spare in the bed.It would have the fuel pump hooked up just in case the other pump goes out,or run low on fuel.Have it for an emergency,but use it every now and then to keep the fuel good.And have a switch for the fuel pump.

cessnatwin

Nice job, I added a twin tank to my truck and love it! Now I do not know the condition of your tank, but what I did and recommend after cutting a in line filter open is to add one. I mounted one inline right as it exits the tank on the way to the other tank. Bought the adapter at Napa and plumbed it in!

KRaiskio

Anyone though or tried putting a balance tube like on a big rig? Basically over the road trucks have a tube between the 2 saddle tanks. Only one has a pickup, master. The other is just a slave tank. They usually have shutoffs to isolate the tanks.

Akicita

I have a low-budget solution to the problem. I put a 55 gal. drum that I picked up for free on the truck, and only bought a manual fuel transfer pump for about 30 bucks because I didn't want to use the old one I already had. Sure, I have to stop the truck to transfer fuel, but I'm doing that anyway on a long trip to go to a restroom, or to just stretch my legs for a while. Your solution is neater and a lot nicer than mine, particularly when you need fuel and it's raining.

shannondeese

I am going to put a fuel filter inline on the pressure side of the pump. It should not syphon when the pump is off since the point where it enters the main tank is open to the air in the tank and not submerged by fuel. Plus I have an on off valve on the tank where the pump pulls from just incase. I can reach it by reaching out the sliding rear window to turn it on if need be. I'll be filling it today to see how well it works. I can't wait to use it.

shannondeese

I pumped 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid though it this evening without a hiccough. I chose hyd fluid because of how thick it is. Now that it's working I am almost ready for a 560 mile trip in Jan. I can't wait.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks