• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Transfercase/Front Axle behavior/noise.

rmgill

So my neighbor has a newish deuce that was taken out for a bit of a spin in the snow and ice this week, it wasn't driven much and he's still getting to know how to use some of the features. When he was putting it to bed, using the air-shift he noticed a very severe clanking coming from the transfer case under larger amounts of sudden power. He showed this to me and I observed an odd movement on the front axle output like perhaps the front transfer output isn't fully engaging?

The drive shafts don't have any odd play so it's not universal joints slapping. It doesn't do it under normal power application just when he really stops the fuel low or high range, only with front axle engaged.

It's a solid gong like clank-clank-clank and then quiet operation.

Plans are to take the air-cylinder off and inspect that function and see if there's any issues with the transfer case in that area.

The cylinder DOES seem to operate properly, though I thought I detected a bit of a delay in it's "thunk" a couple of times when we were checking it's operation.

Anyone have any thoughts?

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
When engaging or disengaging the case you need to let it free wheel just a bit or back up and then go forward to get it to disengage or it will force it out and that is the clank you are hearing. Putting it in or out under a load and it will clank!

rmgill

Disassembly and cleaning the piston seemed to help substantially. A quick hone, wipe down, inspection of the seal and light coat of grease and now, no clanking sound. There was a missing washer which I replaced and one of the two copper rings was not present but I could detect no leaks when the axle was engaged upon reassembly.

rmgill

Hmm is the deeper part of the piston cup supposed to go out wards or inwards? I started to install it deeper part outwards and that seemed like it should not have enough clearance of the cap.

162tcat

If it's like the 5 ton air shift, the flat part of the piston goes toward the t case and the dish goes to the air side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks