• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odiron Coolant Filter Kit

Somemedic

Dabtl... after reviewing the pics from now and october I noticed you 'bypassed or 'teed' you line. Im assuming ofcourse. Whats was the reason or why didya do it? Just curious.

DanMartin

You should install a coolant filter as a bypass filter. You don't want coolant flow to be obstructed if/when the filter clogs.

It will still remove plenty...over time all of the coolant makes it through the filter and is cleaned. It's a pretty smart way to do it.

dabtl

Dabtl... after reviewing the pics from now and october I noticed you 'bypassed or 'teed' you line. Im assuming ofcourse. Whats was the reason or why didya do it? Just curious.

For exactly the reason Dan Martin says. A bypass filter cannot clog and stop the coolant circulation. Just a little insurance for the times you forget to change the filter.

After all, the object is to prolong the life of the motor not cause a maintenance mess.

Even though I do not drive my deuces much in Winter and mostly in parades and such, it will shock you how much muck it cleans out.

This next Fall is flush and clean time, followed by new filters. I will be interested in the filter change after that to see how much muck gets collected after flushing the system.

m139h2otruck

After we got the M812A1, I decided to drain and flushout the cooling system, as it seemed to be very "muddy". The big Cummins has a number of small vent hoses and tubes due to the location of the overflow tank and the top of the radiator. These were all plugged with rust/mud! Installed tees into the engine w/ valves and installed one of these filter units and the SCA element. Also added the required SCA to the new fluid. Now the radiator overflow tank looks clean and we should not have to worry about perforated sleeves (very common if SCA is not used and the coolant is not kept at the right ph. All of the new big truck engines have these systems some of which are quite large and complex. I have seen what happens to a wet sleeve motor if the correct fluid and maintance is not done. Very expensive.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap! After seeing the pics of muddy looking filters in the other thread, I think I'll be placing an order for a kit through OD Iron before my next big trip!

dabtl

If you want a preview of what your coolant has in it, take a five gallon pail and drain the coolant into it. Let is sit for an hour or so. Pour it back in. Look at the bottom of the pail I will normally look like beach sand. There is a lot more in there.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if one were to go the NAPA route, whatsize connectors and what size hose would be needed? Should galvanized pipe be used as connectors?
Thanks in advance.

dabtl

ODIROn has the kit and it is also available from NAPA part #4019. NAPA is lower in cost. Use the Wix 24071 filter with the SCA diesel additives. When you change the filter, you add the SCA.

ODIRON

That kit is actually not put together by OD Iron. If you go to NAPA and order part #4019, it comes with the filter base, fittings, bolts/washers/nuts and sealant. It is the exact same kit, and it only cost me $35.

HI Guys,
I spoke with Mike on this... Just to clarify, if you add the cost of the filter base, the coolant filter and the two brass fittings to tap into the engine, It is alot more money than $35.00
Mike said the reason he put this kit together is that the fittings are so hard to find locally.
When it is all said and done, people are realizing it and we are selling more kits now then before.

Marie

dabtl

When you get the kit, do not forget to put a cut off valve in the mix. When changing the filter, cutting off the coolant source means a lot less mess to clean up.

joesco

dabtl

I use whatever length O'Reilly will sell me and cut to length. Hose is cheap. Usually in a package with too much, but still cheap.

coyotegray

I got the kit in the mail this week. Took about ten minutes to mount it, just as Bjorn did.

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9611&highlight=coolant+filter

The kit is complete, less heater hose. Just look at the photo in the thread and duplicate. Nothing to it.
Dabtl,

Did you use only the fitings in the kit?
I went to install my filter kit but the brass fitting that goes on the lower part of the pump is too small. Did you use a reducer..?

Thanks,
Andy.

dabtl

I went to Ace Hardware and found reducers there. Cost a couple of bucks. No biggie.

I am very happy with the filter set up.

dabtl

A nice looking install. I mounted mine vertically with the valve to change the filter.

I also used the filter with the SCA in it. Try it you will like it.

Also remember this filter kit is from NAPA and at somewhat a lesser cost. I do not know if the NAPA kit has any of the brass fittings as I got mine from ODIron.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks