• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odometer question

jw4x4

It is difficult if not impossible (unless you can obtain the complete maintenance records) to verify mileage. Most times, if the speedo (or any other gauge in the cluster) had a malfunction, the entire cluster was replaced. To get a more accurate guess on miles, look at the typical wear areas, such as the brake pedal pad, floorboard where your heel would rest, smudges or wear on switches and handles, etc. Although these items can also be replaced, it will give a better idea. Pay close attention to the underside and under the hood. Check the color/odor of every fluid you can. Keep in mind that these vehicles typicaly sat idle ALOT. It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between 47k and 147k.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock CUCVs from GM had five digit odometers, so if you have a six digit odometer - it is a "replacement"...

I see this a lot on ebay.

DISCLAIMER: A five digit odometer DOES NOT guarantee it is the original odometer, like others said overall wear helps determine mileage - but sitting in sunny motor pools added more age to low mileage CUCVs than their civilian versions...

Gojo1812

So no CUCV came with a 6 digit odometer? I just found one for sale with "low miles" and noticed it has a 6 digit odometer. It looked odd because I've never seen one, I'm glad I checked here before buying this one with unknown miles....

scottladdy

So no CUCV came with a 6 digit odometer? I just found one for sale with "low miles" and noticed it has a 6 digit odometer. It looked odd because I've never seen one, I'm glad I checked here before buying this one with unknown miles....
Might have missed a gem.

IMO, no used vehicle, and some new ones, can be assessed solely by odometer readings. I treat it as a data point. Now, with the CUCV's, since almost every part may have been replaced. Or, the vehicle in question may have been a donor until someone decided to fix 'er up, I use it as an initial item as part of an overall assessment.

Just my opinion ...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Place as much faith into a MV hour or mile meter gauge as you place into elected official.

low miles does not always mean what you think even if they are original. That particular vehicle may have taken a half A million short hard trips. My truck showed 32,000 miles when I bought it but from the hardened mud and gravel I dug out of everywhere it is obvious that the troops were having some fun with it.

acmunro

I purchased a GL CUCV several years ago. I assumed the truck had 102600 miles. When I went recover it I was pleasantly surprised. All the texture was still on the steering wheel. The date code on the tires were correct for the year the truck was (the first thing I did was to remove those crumbling tires). It also did not have the updates my other trucks had (ie later style glow plug relay) So I feel this truck is a 2600 mile truck. After you are around enough of them there are lots of clues that help estimate mileage.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was biding on two M1008s, side by side (twins), one was listed as 28K and the other listed as 82K. I wound up taking the 82K as the other bidder went sky high!

When I was on the GL lot loading mine up, we popped the hood and cab of the 28K and looked around. I was glad that I got the 82K, the 28K had not been rode hard and put up wet, but was showing serious signs of disrepair. The rubber, hoses and gaskets, were crumbling, the guages were glazed over, and the seats were almost gone - all from the sun and elements.

Go and take a look at some of the civy counterparts and you can get an idea as to the condition, aka mileage, of the steed you are considering. You have to look at everything, not just the odometer...

Good luck and if you decide to pull the trigger, please post pics and video!

Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks