• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odometer readings r correct?

flyfishin44

Hey all,

I got the itch a while back to get my first green machine and every search I generated had a steelsoldier thread pop up....... Figured I better kick google to the curb & join SS!

So here is my big question...... Or curiosity: these hour meters and odometer readings just don't seem to jive...... Any thought s?

How often were the meters replaced?

Were they replaced with engine work?

how many times have these rolled over?

ultimently just looking for sage advice on interpreting what I'm seeing?

regardless keeping my fingers crossed I should have my green machine in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance!

N8

rockyroad217

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned on here they could be replaced and never written up. OR some are accurate and weren't driven that much. I think I also read that when a truck is rebuilt they replace the odometer and hours, but I'm not sure if that is accurate either.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No political comments!

flyfishin44

I sense a joke coming........whats the difference between an M923 & a politician??????? you can throw a politician.....or a M923 can stand its ground ......or ??????

anyhow, oddly enough I found the following info on someone's ad for a M923 for sale,...what do y'all think (I had never heard this, or anythingl like it for that matter) ((cut and pasted from listing))

*Note on Hours; With only 105 hours showing, it is very likely that the truck was overhauled by the military. When the military does an overhaul, they replace the hour log if they rebuild everything -or- they replace the odometer if they put new everything in (motor, transmission, transfer case, axles, etc.).
We do not see any concrete evidence of a military overhaul (like a warrantee or service tag), but that is not unusual. So it is very likely (99%) that this truck was completely overhauled 105 hours ago - which would be consistent with the condition that this motor was in, even the fluids themselves were all almost brand new/clean.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A lot of the 900 series will have an extra plate on the dash that states the sn/location/date/ mileage at PMP . That is if they have gone through overhaul. not a great picture but it is the black plate to the right of the dash, PMP= Product [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Modernization Program[/FONT]

Attachments

Last edited:

flyfishin44

MWMULES,

Thanks for the info, now highlighting my ignorance ......... What is PMP? I am guessing it has to do with the maintenance & rebuild...but, got to claim ignorance here!

N8

flyfishin44

Mr Grinch........

My appologies, in my excitement to get on board I read the user agreement (in all its splendor) rather quickly, and aparently ran over the rule I violated without it setting in.

My sincere apologies

flyfishin44

poppop

flyfishing44, since you are new I think you missed an inside joke and I will let you in on it. When Mr Grinch rebuked patracy on his comment that was a joke as patracy is the all seeing internet god that just recently took over the net reins of SS and has made a tremendous improvement in the site and its operations. Doghead might could ban patracy for just a short time, but then doghead would go puffffffffff and disappear forever.:cry:

Titanium Soldier

My father-in-law recently retired from a marine logistics base in georgia from running the show down there on refurbing stuff for years.Anyway, i had asked him the same question, and he told me yes if they overhaul the motor, they are supposed to set the hourmeter to 0, which would make sense how some trucks have an average speed of 200MPH!!! But who knows IF they really do that or not like they are supposed to

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The odometer and hour meter readings are completely accurate for the life of the gauges. :wink:

When a gauge is replaced (mostly due to malfunction of the gage) the readings are not corrected to the one being replaced. Even if it is a used unit that had more than the orignial it replaced.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One clue with the older trucks is the dual speedometer scale: if you have say a 1966 Kaiser and it has both mph / km then the speedo has been replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks