• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odyssey PC2250ST 6tl the bad? best seller?

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I did flips and twists, lost a little sleep, looked at it from many angles then today I committed and ordered 2 Odyssey PC2250 batteries...
How do you like your Odyssey batteries??/ I just ordered a set also. Waiting for them to arrive ... :)

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up another PC2250 for the #2 project, it will be running separate 12 and 24V system and I found one unused and 6mo old for about half price so I grabbed it.
Well I was looking over the specs on the Odyssey site and just about had a cow, the max operating temp for the PC2250 was listed at 104 deg F,,
So I fired off a message asking them what was wrong with them?? nobody would design an automotive battery for only 104F, I mean we get days here of up to 115F ambient, not to say this is hell but you can certainly see it from here... And that does not even come close to "under hood" applications.
Following was the response, makes me feel MUCH better about this rather large investment in a "perishable" item..

Sorry to alarm you, but that specification is a misprint.

We recently took a look at all of our models and are updating the literature accordingly.

The PC2250 has a maximum operating range of 176*F, just like all other Extreme series batteries.

I am not sure why it was ever listed lower than the rest. Before my time here.

Sorry for the confusion.

Alan Kohler

Marketing Manager

ODYSSEY Battery
Thanks for posting this !

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you like your Odyssey batteries??/ I just ordered a set also. Waiting for them to arrive ... :)
Had mine in for about a year now. Like them. Ask me in about 8 years and I'll tell you if I love them or not.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it has only been 4 years but they are a powerful as when new, we will see in about another 6 years or so

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had mine in for about a year now. Like them. Ask me in about 8 years and I'll tell you if I love them or not.
I searched the many threads about batteries and decided on these too. The design life was one of the reasons I picked them. Plus they are near the same if not as the hawker Military.... hoping for the best .

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thus far I love them, I even bought a 5th as a just in case. 2 or 3 years on them.. have never failed me. no acid, spill over or the like, and I went to terminal lugs instead of post lugs.. much cleaner

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thus far I love them, I even bought a 5th as a just in case. 2 or 3 years on them.. have never failed me. no acid, spill over or the like, and I went to terminal lugs instead of post lugs.. much cleaner
Terminal lugs are great....

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as a tangential note. I have a Noco Genius 5-3 charger.

My batteries on my civilian Hummer were hooked up improperly by poor mechanic and weren’t properly charging. They registered as damaged.

I charged with NOCO and then used the repair mode. They now test and load test as normal.

I suspect I’m not the only one with batteries that can be saved by a NOCO charger.

Before spending $$$ I would consider this option, (although NOCO chargers aren’t cheap). In my isolated case (and speaking for myself), the charger just paid for itself.

(Price was $30 cheaper in 2021 when I bought it. Thank you Sleepy Joe.)

9A02CACC-1548-4E97-91E0-5A2A64621851.jpeg

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see there is a 'x2' charger as well. Do you know if you can safely charge the two 12V batteries without unhooking them from the vehicle? I.e.

Port 1 to +/- of leading battery
Port 2 to +/- of trailing battery

- trailing to the vehicle. + of middle to 12V of vehicle and + of leading to 24V of vehicle

If that works, this sounds like a great charger/tender solution.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see there is a 'x2' charger as well. Do you know if you can safely charge the two 12V batteries without unhooking them from the vehicle? I.e.

- trailing to the vehicle. + of middle to 12V of vehicle and + of leading to 24V of vehicle

I had the same question, just got off of chat with them, they say yes will charge two 12V batteries connected in series

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the NOCO X2 and I can confirm it will work correctly connected to both batteries. They have an accessory to power it with an external outlet. I hooked it up using an outdoor extension cord at the rear wheel well. I just plug in the extension cord and it trickle charges both batteries without intervention - don't have to turn it on.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can confirm it will work properly

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see they have a 10x2 as well, but 5 amps should be enough for the HMMWV batteries AFAIK.
Heck the 2X2 should be plenty to maintain the batteries.
Another bad thing about Texas is we get to drive our toys year round so maintaining the batteries is not an issue..

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll also confirm the 5X2 works great. I run the cord plug out the back of the seat, and the plug end sits by the lower seat belt mount just by the door. Completely out of the way, and no new holes in the truck.

teletech

I can confirm it will work properly
I have several of these chargers in different applications, they charge each 12V separately which does assist in maintaining balance. I've got them on my 24v stuff and also on my 36v forklift. Apparently 48V is the max they are rated to so maybe don't go buying several to maintain your 120V solar bulk batteries.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep a NOCO 5 X 2 on my MEP003A batteries. It is one great battery charger / maintainer. You don't need to disconnect the batteries to hook up the charger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks