• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OEM Fuel Filter Microns??

joesco

Does anyone know what the micron rating of the breadbox fuel filter?

I am installing a Racor spin-on filter system and it comes in 30, 10 and 2 micron filter cartridges. I am leaning towards the 2 micron but is that overkill???

Thanks!

Ken_86gt

I seem to recall the original being around 15. Most people that run a 2 are running multiple staged filters. I am running a 30 spin on, only because the mount came with it. I would recommend that 10 micron

CUCV85

My M1010 has a Stanadyne Fuel Manager FM100 30-micron #31865 installed before I bought it and runs fine. This was done by the city that had it before me so I do not know what was involved to install it, but looks like a pro install.
Some John Deere tractors use same base and filter.
I put this same one on mine 60.00 when I first purchased CU CV.
Ended up having a class 2 leak. Changed the filter - still leaked, gave it away. Ended up buying OEM Stanadyne 80 filter base and filter minus the fuel pressure sensor that gave me a nasty leak in the first place.
http://oem-surplus.com/gmwp/gmc.htm?zoom_highlight=chevy+fuel+filter
12471725 63.00 now no issues after 6 months.
NO Leaks - NO fuel pressure sensor, only the military used this sensor for the STE-ICE diagnostic system.

Last edited:

southdave

Some John Deere tractors use same base and filter.
I put this same one on mine 60.00 when I first purchased CU CV.
Ended up having a class 2 leak. Changed the filter - still leaked, gave it away. Ended up buying OEM Stanadyne 80 filter base and filter minus the fuel pressure sensor that gave me a nasty leak in the first place.
http://oem-surplus.com/gmwp/gmc.htm?zoom_highlight=chevy+fuel+filter
12471725 63.00 now no issues after 6 months.
NO Leaks - NO fuel pressure sensor, only the military used this sensor for the STE-ICE diagnostic system.
There is a trick I just learn today, on 328 JD skid steer, with install a new filter, they are tricky

skark_burmer

i have read the stock filter is a 36 micron nominal rating, and some places call it a 15. Either way i dont like them.

First one is a 10 micron water sep, second is a 2 micron.

Attachments

jag7720

i have read the stock filter is a 36 micron nominal rating, and some places call it a 15. Either way i dont like them.

First one is a 10 micron water sep, second is a 2 micron.

I'm probably wrong, but those two filters seem like over-kill. Is it necessary to have such large filters and two of them?

acmunro

Does anyone know what micron rating the fuel filters were on the 82 and 83 civilian 6.2 ? I have researched it but never could find an answer. They used a primary and a secondary filter. Thanks in advance.

skark_burmer

nope, they are overkill and thats why i like them. With these on there you dont need to worry about clogging a filter while on a road trip, dont need to worry about crap in your fuel, rust, sluge... who knows what. I ran a set on my civvy K5 for about 50k miles and cut them apart. Still had plenty of life left in them and i run lots of questionable fuel, mostly homemade biodiesel.

Also they are SUPER cheap, i dont remember the price exactly but i think combined they are around $20 to replace.

skark_burmer

Those above part numbers are for the OEM 2 filter setup on a early civvy 6.2. 33123 and 33124.

The ones i change over to are 33005 for the 10 micron water separator and a 33674 for the 2 micron final.
Base is a 24770, you'll need 2 of them obviously.
I found the best price at Fleet Filter and buy the filters by the case for more savings. Just add a MP (Master Pack) to the end of the part number for Wix products and thats a case of 12 or so depending on filter.

the thing i really like about these filters is they are really easy to find in a pinch, easy to replace and there is no guess work and no chance of bad fuel getting by. With Wix fiel filters there is no bypass if the filter gets plugged. I cut apart a fram filter (33124 replacement) and it has a spring loaded bypass to allow fuel to get past once the filter is clogged. :???:
Also the water drain on the 33005 is a snap to deal with so checking it is almost fun.
In the engine compartment of a CUCV you have to get a little inventive to fit them in, but its not a big deal.

One thing to mention, if you are interested in running biodiesel i would suggest the use of silicone hose for ALL fuel line. BioD will eventually turn rubber to mush and cause fuel leaks.
Also another thing i do is place a small electric lift pump between the two filters and ditch the OEM mechanical lift pump. Mr Gasket 12s is my current cheapo pump of choice. you'll want to place it after the 33005 because the amount of garbage it will suck up is alarming and will cause the pump to fail in short order. Also the electric pump makes priming after a filter change a snap.