• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Of fuel tanks and TMs and websearches, oh my.

NormB

topic: 1992 M998 fuel tank. Leaking.

project: drop tank, replace gaskets. Maybe put an armor plate on the bottom of the tank. Maybe replace the tank. Thing in there is what, blown polyethylene with some stabilizers added, 25 or more years ago?
Crunch the numbers for the cost for parts vs new tank with many components already new, so what's a hundred bucks between friends?

Problem: find the right tank.

TM ending in 24P-1 shows THIS number for the tank: 5582606

Looking this up on hummerpartsguy give the following information:

H1 Body TypeALL BODY TYPES
H1 Engine Type6.2L
H1 Model Year1992, 1993
NSN2910-01-263-3224 / 2910012633224
Revision AlertPRIOR PART(S) SUPERSEDED, NEW PART NUMBER ISSUED
Unit of MeasureEACH
I know, somewhere else I've seen "new part number issued" but what number is that and which TM has those? Dated when?

I found a great deal on a tank/install kit, but the NSN 2910-01-447-3911 doesn't appear anywhere in the manuals I have (everything I've downloaded from this site), or at least, best as I can tell, that number doesn't match a part which is said to fit the 1992 M998.

If this is a good time to get a lesson in how to use the parts books, and updates (from where?), please, by all means, tell me.

Thanks.

Norm

dilvoy

To keep it simple.... If you have a Humvee with the parking brake on the rear driveshaft, you need the first fuel tank, which is made of yellowish/brown material, because the second type of fuel tank that is made of white colored material has a rear area that will hit the brake disk. If your vehicle has been upgraded to the dual parking brakes on the rear calipers, you need the second type of fuel tank. It has an "X shape" molded into it's body.

NormB

So far as I can tell, yes, I have the second type. Pkg brake goes to rear discs.

That said, the second part of my question and the most important, is HOW does one track these things down?

Which manual, which TM says "this tank for this truck with brakes that go like this" and so on?

So I can find the stock number, the NSN. Order the right part, you see.

NB

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything you need is on Fig. 16 and 67
TM9-2320-280-24p1
If you need some of those parts...I have some.

dilvoy

So far as I can tell, yes, I have the second type. Pkg brake goes to rear discs.

That said, the second part of my question and the most important, is HOW does one track these things down?

Which manual, which TM says "this tank for this truck with brakes that go like this" and so on?

So I can find the stock number, the NSN. Order the right part, you see.

NB
There is not one book to tell you what you want. In thirty years or so a book may be written with all the permutations and whatnot for the Humvees broken down by model and or when built, but for now you have to learn the basic differences between the common models and work from there. TM's are valuable assets. There are special models and some with additions done to them even though they are early models so it is not one way only for any particular model, because these vehicles could be modified by the many different users that had the vehicle before you did. If you bought yours surplus from the Government, then at least you don't have to worry about what Bubba did to it!

Guyfang

Staff member
There is not one book to tell you what you want. In thirty years or so a book may be written with all the permutations and whatnot for the Humvees broken down by model and or when built, but for now you have to learn the basic differences between the common models and work from there. TM's are valuable assets. There are special models and some with additions done to them even though they are early models so it is not one way only for any particular model, because these vehicles could be modified by the many different users that had the vehicle before you did. If you bought yours surplus from the Government, then at least you don't have to worry about what Bubba did to it!
dilvoy, Yes there is one book. You just need to read into it.

NormB,

Part of your problem is you don't understand how the parts manual works. The first thing you need to do, is look at the NSN, (national Stock Number) on the truck data plate. Write it down. Look at the cover of the TM- 9-2320-24P-1 parts manual. Find the truck listed on the cover with your NSN. Now, since you didnt list what truck you had, I am going to pull one out of my patootie.

TRUCK, UTILITY: CARGO/TROOP CARRIER, 1-1/4 TON, 4X4, M998 (2320-01-107-7155) (EIC: BBD);

Write this down next to the NSN you already wrote down. Then go to the Table of Contents of the parts TM. Open it up to Introduction. Scan through it until you see Usable on Code. At a later date, it would not hurt to read all the stuff you just bypassed. It's good info.

a. Usable on Code. The Usable on Code appears in the lower left corner of the DESCRIPTIONcolumn heading. Usable on Codes are shown as UOC: . . . . . . . in the DESCRIPTION column (justifiedleft) onthe first line of applicable item description/nomenclature. Uncoded items are applicable to all models andtitle description will indicate all M998, M998A1, and M998A2 models. Identification of the Usable on Codesused in the RPSTL are.

Translation, the UOC is listed to the right side of the page, under the Item Description.

There will follow a whole list of trucks. Find M998. The code listed to the left is: H13. This is the code for your truck!! When looking at the parts manual, this is what tells you what part to order, for your truck model, when you are confronted with 2,3,4 or even 5 different parts, all called Tank, fuel. Below is what you will see. You have already looked at the picture, and know that item #1 is the fuel tank. Now you look at the discription. And lo and behold, TWO fuel tanks! But because you know that your M998's UOC is H13, all you have to do is look for H13 listed under the item description, Tank, Fuel.

1. PBOOO 2910011894770 34623 12338579 TANK,FUEL,ENGINE.................... 1 UOC:H11,H13,H14,H15,H16,H17,H18,H20, H21,H24,H25,H26,H27,H28,MMM

1. PAOOO 2910013578798 34623 12342745 TANK,FUEL,ENGINE.................... 1 UOC:AVY,A11,A13,A14,A15,A20,A24,A25, A26,A27,B16,B17,B18,HVY

This is too easy! But you have to know how to use it. If there is no UOC listed for the part you want to order, then that part fits ALL Models.

There is a world of info in the Introduction. The next thing you should bone up on is SMR code, but I have run out of time. I don't even normally look at truck stuff. I am a Power Generation guy.
Later,

guyfang

Last edited:

NormB

dilvoy, Yes there is one book. You just need to read into it.

NormB,

Part of your problem is you don't understand how the parts manual works. The first thing you need to do, is look at the NSN, (national Stock Number) on the truck data plate. Write it down. Look at the cover of the TM- 9-2320-24P-1 parts manual. Find the truck listed on the cover with your NSN. Now, since you didnt list what truck you had, I am going to pull one out of my patootie.
<stuff>
guyfang
Ausgezeichnet! Recht vielen Dank für Ihre verständnis.

SOMEHOW, I got the idea, maybe from the title (I'm going to have to look later) what I owned was an M998. D'oh!

Meanwhile, several months have gone by, and, thanks to you, I'm the proud new owner of:

Truck, Utility, CGO/TRP CARR, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M1038, etc.
M1038 Data Plate.jpg

Which makes the UOC H14, NOT H13.

Only thing I can't reconcile is the W/E vs. W/W thing from my data plate vs. the manual cover. I'll read through the suggested pages.

What you've told me is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. Start at the beginning, process, step by step. Starting with the right manual, of course.

When I was a young NCO, I was responsible for filing/upkeep of our clinic's AR files (Army Regulations), and vehicle maintenance (jeep, CUCV, I think, and Deuce and a half), and the NBC gear and more - effectively I was NCOIC until we got someone who was TO&E'd to the unit, I was only TDA. Upshot is, I THOUGHT I had a good handle on how to wade through ARs, TMs, etc; apparently the magic's faded after 30 years. I did learn about "Bootstrap" however, which helped fund my undergraduate education, long story.

Anyway, this has been of inestimable help. Thanks again.

Next Bier's on me.

NB

NormB

12460105 is the mewer tank. $30 on epay.
Well, yeah, but will it fit my truck?

That's the $100-plus ($30 + S&H) question.

IF there's a newer part number, is the part you referenced THAT part, or won't I know until I actually drop the thing, see what I've got, and THEN order all the parts?

Okay, found a cross-reference line here in 24P-2:

Cage # 34623 Part #12460105 NSN 2910-01-447-3911 Figure 16 Item #13

So, yeah, NSN ending in 3911 looks like the correct tank.

Thanks.

NB

Last edited:

dilvoy

Well, yeah, but will it fit my truck?

Thanks.

NB
As mentioned just above, You can use the NSN number from the data plate and then use the corresponding UOC number to find out what tm to use, but that gives you info for that data plate. Is it the original data plate? Is it a replace data plate that is accurate as to the configuration of your vehicle or not? From that foto, your vehicle has part or all of the seat belt upgrade installed and there is a rivet that is positioned in such a way that the data plate needs to come off to install it. Was that rivet left out? Was the data plate removed and replaced or were they tossed into a pile and then put back on willy nilly? I don't know. Lots of vehicles sold surplus have data plates with MFG dates stamped in the 2000's and the vehicles are obviously 1980's vehicles so look at all the tell tale info and use your judgement.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
[Only thing I can't reconcile is the W/E vs. W/W thing from my data plate vs. the manual cover. I'll read through the suggested pages.
W/W is With Winch. The important thing is to match up the truck NSN.
What you've told me is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. Start at the beginning, process, step by step. Starting with the right manual, of course.

When I was a young NCO, I was responsible for filing/upkeep of our clinic's AR files (Army Regulations), and vehicle maintenance (jeep, CUCV, I think, and Deuce and a half), and the NBC gear and more - effectively I was NCOIC until we got someone who was TO&E'd to the unit, I was only TDA. Upshot is, I THOUGHT I had a good handle on how to wade through ARs, TMs, etc; apparently the magic's faded after 30 years. I did learn about "Bootstrap" however, which helped fund my undergraduate education, long story.

Anyway, this has been of inestimable help. Thanks again.

Next Bier's on me.

NB[/QUOTE]

Beer always sounds good!

Guyfang

Staff member
As mentioned just above, You can use the NSN number from the data plate and then use the corresponding UOC number to find out what tm to use, but that gives you info for that data plate. Is it the original data plate? Is it a replace data plate that is accurate as to the configuration of your vehicle or not? From that foto, your vehicle has part or all of the seat belt upgrade installed and there is a rivet that is positioned in such a way that the data plate needs to come off to install it. Was that rivet left out? Was the data plate removed and replaced or were they tossed into a pile and then put back on willy nilly? I don't know. Lots of vehicles sold surplus have data plates with MFG dates stamped in the 2000's and the vehicles are obviously 1980's vehicles so look at all the tell tale info and use your judgement.
I helped do some of the seat belt conversions, along with a few other MWO's, (Modification Work Order) and have to admit, it was one of the most controlled and over supervised things I ever did. Each and every step we did, was documented, and data plates were highly controlled. When we removed them, they were immediately reattached with steel lacing wire to the steering wheel, so they would not go south for the winter. When an MWO changed the model number, that was done by the senior mechanic, checked by the site lead, and then rechecked by the area coordinator. Rarely is any MWO done by the soldiers. Its almost exclusively done by contractors. That's not to say the army is not able to do things like this right. That's simply not true. But the military feels that soldiers have better things to do then apply MWO's. I am sure that some trucks have false data plates, or incorrect information, but I never saw any in my 28+ years of working on army equipment.

NormB

I helped do some of the seat belt conversions, along with a few other MWO's, (Modification Work Order) and have to admit, it was one of the most controlled and over supervised things I ever did. Each and every step we did, was documented, and data plates were highly controlled. When we removed them, they were immediately reattached with steel lacing wire to the steering wheel, so they would not go south for the winter. When an MWO changed the model number, that was done by the senior mechanic, checked by the site lead, and then rechecked by the area coordinator. Rarely is any MWO done by the soldiers. Its almost exclusively done by contractors. That's not to say the army is not able to do things like this right. That's simply not true. But the military feels that soldiers have better things to do then apply MWO's. I am sure that some trucks have false data plates, or incorrect information, but I never saw any in my 28+ years of working on army equipment.

THAT's reassuring.

There's a data plate on the engine referencing a rebuild (I forget exact verbiage) at Ft. Lewis, WA from, IIRC, 2005. It's one of the things that sold me on buying the beast. Not that I'm still not going to drain and replace fluids (I have all the cooling system hoses, just not enough energy to flush and drain and replace and fill the system just yet, but I might tomorrow or Thursday, supposed to get to 60+ F, should be a good day for a drive), I've only put about ten miles on it since I bought it, mostly tinkering around, waiting for some parts to finish the lights (backup, interior, fog/spot).

Thanks again.