• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

off road adventure to Crown King, AZ

daschae

Not so much a "road trip" but more off-road
So this Sunday we took a trip in Arizona from the North side of Lake Pleasant to Crown King Arizona on "the senators highway". All in all, an eventful and fun trip.
The trail to Crown King normally takes about 4 hours, but in the deuce it was closer to 6.

We started out at about 6:45 am, I woke up early and took the mirrors off the truck because I knew they wouldnt make it home with me if I didnt..(never thought about the smoke stack). We pulled out of Gilbert at about 7am and headed up to Lake Pleasant. My little brother locked his keys in is truck (tahoe) before he even made it out of Gilbert, but I figured he would catch us by the time he got back in it since we could only do 55ish mph any ways. I was right. My father in-law also decided to come along with his Rubicon. There are a few tough spots on the trail, which I think is over 20 miles long, with the top speed possible being about 10 mph for no more than 100 yards at a time. Prior to the trip, I had put about 150-200 miles on the M35 to make sure it was in good running order before getting out in the middle of nowhere and discovering a problem...ha!
Right off the bat, Im thinking...You can stop this truck, it can climb anything...and as Im grinding my fuel tank on some rocks while trying to climb through a difficult section, I realized I was mistake.. But it was a great chance to use the winch :) Unfortunately for the poor little mesquite tree, it was all we had to anchor from! It managed to hold out, we needed just a little extra pull. The cable got bound up all on one side and jammed the drum and I couldnt get it to engage after that..so the cable was thrown into the bed and run across the hood for the rest of the trip.
The next factor I failed to take into account was wearing my seat belt. My first thought was kind of like buckling up on a train... whats the point? That was until some big rocks sent me bouncing out of the drivers seat and nearly into my passengers lap. I buckled up after that. Climbing everything else wasnt really an issue, width and finesse were. I didnt really have to pick a "route" based on clearance, I just went with what seemed convenient. I also discovered important fact number 3... hold the wheel VERY tightly because not having power steering is a bear! My fingers all hurt, my elbows hurt (from being hurled into my hip and the door from a spinning wheel).
I also knew that trees are an issue for the M35 when I got up into the higher country (hence removing the mirrors earlier) but I didnt think about my smoke stack...which was flung off the truck and propelled 50ft by a big branch but we managed to track it down.
And then there was the issue of losing power to the truck.... I didnt know until I stalled it that my electronics were all out. I stalled, attempted to restart, and got nothing! The other two vehicles were ahead of me and didnt realize I was not near... So 45 mins later, I ended up finding a piece of bailing wire to jump the starter and get the truck fired up. Luckily those diesels don't need juice for a computer!
Almost forgot! I reformed a rock face with the corner of the bumper and managed to tweak it a bit...Never even slowed me down!
The rest of the trail was uneventful. We had burgers and a beer at the mill up there in crown king, then headed back down to the valley to an angry wife and 10mo daughter who were expecting me at 1pm not 5:45pm...
So, lessons taught this weekend by the deuce..
1. Buckle up
2. Hold the wheel tight without thumbs in-between the spokes
3. Check the wiring closer
4. GET POWER STEERING
5. did i mention get power steering?

I love doing this trail, so if anyone else is interested, let me know!

PS. Pictures and videos to follow.

Last edited:

AZDeuce

Did the North road trip to Crown king about 15 years ago in my M35 gasser, to go rescue a hunter's stuck pickup truck, I was going to go up the East road off of !-10 but my budd says, "hey this way looks shorter."

Never trust your friends when it's your vehicle that has to make the trip!

My half a day ordeal ended up being ALL day!
But I got a new appreciation of what a deuce was capable of doing! She came through without a problem.

But I swore i'd never put my truck through an ordeal like that again............well......until this year!

My best friend Marc and I were out around Wickenburg in my M35A2 which runs 395s, we mainly just cruise the flat desert, but I took a wrong turn, or listened to bad advice depending on which one of us tells the story, and ended up having to cross a small mountain range.

We'd crossed this mountain a few times in the 30+ years we've been coming out here, but never on this particular trail. Believe it or not it was worse than the North Crown King road.

Some inclines were so steep that we simply slid to the bottom of the next rivine once we crested the hill. Brakes didn't help, infact I had to let off the brakes just to gain any correctional control from steering!

We were in that provberbial boat on that probverbial river, and our paddle was broken!

It took us about an hour and a half just to go about a mile.......I was not happy, but there was no turning back now!

We had a few incidints but the truck did amazingly well, I never used the winch, but came close. I was never so happy as I was once I as back down on the desert floor!

If I'd been with some other deuces I wouldn't have been so stressed, but being in that situation when alone is kind of nerve racking with all the "what ifs?" that keep popping into your mind.

If nothing else that trip cemented my love of the M35 type vehicle, those things are amazing.

Sounds like you had fun, me I'm still pulling the canvas out of my butt, talk about you "pucker factor" there's nothing like sliding uncontrollably down hill in a deuce to get your adrenialn pumping.

Now that I've survived, it was a "GREAT" trip, but it wasn't so much on that particular day.

All I can say is the deuce came through, and I'm getting too old for this stuff!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks