• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off-road capabilities?

Woodsman

I've tried searching for some of the information and not having much luck finding this for a stock M1009:
Approach angle = ? degrees
Departure angle = ? degrees
Breakover angle = ? degrees
Side Slope Capability = ? %
Upslope Capability = ? %
Vertical Scaling Capability = "?

I was curious to how this vehicle stacked up against a H3 I used to have.

Somewhere I thought I had seen a data plate or a drawing with this information shown by an outline drawing, but I may have gotten it confused with the data plate showing the GVWR plate showing the CG locations, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

flighht2k5

Banned
I've tried searching for some of the information and not having much luck finding this for a stock M1009:
Upslope Capability = ? %

Somewhere I thought I had seen a data plate or a drawing with this information shown by an outline drawing, but I may have gotten it confused with the data plate showing the GVWR plate showing the CG locations, etc.

It's a typical civi blazer. Just google blazer and you'll find it.

OL AG '89

It's all relative to what you do to the stock vehicle. If you put 33's on it you get a little better clearance, put 37's and a 6" lift then even better, but you sacrifice driveability with the more height you try to get, also need to consider changes in driveshaft angle and other issues. More topspeed, because of gearing, but if your off-roading, more speed is not a big bonus....
H3 is not comparable, it has soft leather seats, a.c, stereophonic sound, heater, electric toothbrush holders and on and on...
CUCV is stripped metal interior with padded dash.....and idiot lights
6.2L diesel is a good engine, yep I said good..... doesn't have a LOT of power but used correctly, doesn't need it...

Left stock, it's a decent daily driver, build a little lift into it and it's still a decent daily driver...

DokWatson

M1028 is very capable stock, detroit locker and limited slip differential in 1 ton axles. M1009, not so much with open differentials and 1/2 ton axles...but still better than an H3. No IFS systems to break.

Those numbers don't mean jack, never heard of a vehicle being judged by angles.

Last edited:

Marlboro

Ahh... Is a 09 better, more capable then a H3,... Well depends on whos driving them? I've seen Great drivers take **** trucks down some nasty trails. A vehicle is only as good as its driver :driver:

jamesfrom180

Only approximation since I figured you could benefit from some numbers before the lecture. Sometime the guys here get a bit grumpy [thumbzup] let them have their say there is wisdom in it.

Approach guessing about 48-55
Departure 45-60
Break over 25 with max height of 1 foot
side slope no idea 1:2.5
upslope and scaling I think those are primarily a function of driving but my guess would be not so good.

Now if your trying to bate people into a discussion of the merits of a H3 compared to a M1009 good luck.

Bighurt

Ahh... Is a 09 better, more capable then a H3,... Well depends on whos driving them? I've seen Great drivers take **** trucks down some nasty trails. A vehicle is only as good as its driver :driver:
I have to agree, however like in carpentry, not everyone is a miracle worker. You can't take a shipping pallet and make a carved wood bowl...

Everything has it's limitations. But the skilled driver knows when to find another route...

Bighurt

Upslope Capability = ? %

Capabilities aside you will find a M1009 in my garage before you find an H3.

Of course you will also find a huge list of stuff, before an H3. In fact if you gave me an H3 I'd just sell it and pocket the cash for another MV purchase. LOL

Westech

CPL
I have never broken one in a M1009... even with 5" lift and 33 mud tires. Its all on how you drive and put the power to the ground. If you Jack the throttle and get all nutty its going to brake.. if you use your head they will last and work great.

Woodsman

Only approximation since I figured you could benefit from some numbers before the lecture. Sometime the guys here get a bit grumpy [thumbzup] let them have their say there is wisdom in it.

Approach guessing about 48-55
Departure 45-60
Break over 25 with max height of 1 foot
side slope no idea 1:2.5
upslope and scaling I think those are primarily a function of driving but my guess would be not so good.
Thank you!. Just wanted to look at the basic info.

Now if your trying to bate people into a discussion of the merits of a H3 compared to a M1009 good luck.
Nope, that was not my intention. I'm shopping for a M1009 and wanted to understand how the spec's stacked up and what might be required to get a stock M1009 into a daily driver with these fewest mod's.

Barrman

That really depends on what you want for comfort in your daily drive. No a/c, no tunes, no rear doors, manual windows and locks along with no cup holder. If you add a civilian K5 center console, or make your own the cup holder and storage issues are gone. Then it comes down to what fits you.

I drove my M715, M35 Gasser or M35 Whistler pretty much daily for many years and think the M1009 is the lap of luxury. It is compared to those vehicles. Your opinion and frame of reference might vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks