• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off road recovery story (no pics, sorry)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Came a knock on the door this AM. It was a young fellow dressed in desert BDU pants and a green shirt. He told me that he had his deuce stuck and figured I might be the only sucker in the area that could pull him out. He didn't actually use sucker but you see where I'm going. I asked a few questions while loading my straps and snatch blocks. He said he bought the deuce a few weeks ago at a local equipment auction. I asked him "How Stuck" and he replied pretty good. Then he told me that he also got his fathers 4x4 fork lift stuck while he was at it. I followed him over and was contemplating my options. I was figuring that he tried to cross one of these bottomless muck lots. Upon arrival my suspicions were confirmed. When he told me he had a deuce I certainly wasn't expecting to see another tractor, much less one previously owned by a friend. Kind of a piece of junk rustbucket but it has a decent running non turbo with a sprag case. He was about 175' from terra firma. The bystanders tried to talk me into backing out to it but I'm no fool. Deuces with 9.00X20s don't do well in bottomless mud. I chose to use the winch. Set everything up and spooled off almost all the cable I had to reach the truck. Got everything hooked up and started winching. Nothing moving but my truck. Poop, nothing to tie off on. This kid had his father there with a Kenworth tractor and a flatbed so we tied off on that. Started winching, everything tightened up, the Kenworth and trailer started sliding and within a few seconds the winch stopped. Zapped a shear pin. Replaced said pin and re evaluated. I was way over 150' short of running a 2 part line and coudn't get anywhere close enough to do a strap recovery. We decided to try to motor it out with my truck and the Kenworth. It took some jerking with the KW but we finally broke it free. From there I started winching it again and got it right to the bank and trees when I popped another shear pin. Dang it ! Replaced pin and 2 parted the line and got it right out. Unwind the entire drum of cable again to reach the forklift. Same deal, had to tie off to the Kenworth, got hunkered down and broke another shear pin. Man, I'm sure glad I'm not breaking cables. Again we had to use the Kenworth banging on the back of my tractor to break the suction. Once that happened it winched in easily. At the bank I popped one more pin before 2 parting the line again. This time it came right out and the saga ended. I got some birdnesting on the winch cable which I was planning to replace anyway. The moral of the story is this, use the correct shear pins and keep plenty available. If I had been using a steel bolt like lots of folks do, I might have been dodging flying cables and winch chains. Also, 2 part your lines whenever you can. I refused to charge him but he was good enough to give me $50. Took me over and hour and cost me the 4 shear pins. I think I have less than 10 pins left, yikes! Oh yeah, I keep my shear pins in a little plastic decon box in the glove compartment. Along with the pins have plenty of cotter pins, you lose these whenever the shear breaks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, Kenny! and you just finished saying that you don't have any off-roading in Florida. :)

Looks like it may be a good idea to keep an extra 200 feet of wire rope handy...

Desert Rat

Mr. Forum Moderator,
It looks like you earned your sub-title very well today ;)! Just kidding. Good to see you are well thought of in the community. Love seeing fellow members lending a helping hand! Good advice too.

jasonjc

You make a great point on the shear pins!!!!
too many people I know would get mad afther the frist one broke and then would use a grade 8 bolt. and then we know what would happen next RUN FOR COVER
Ill have to get some pins my self but i think i need to find a whinch frist.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 M44A2 series trucks? Sounds like you need 3 winches Jason! When I bought my most recent 1971 M35A2 it didn't have a winch. I worked out a trade with a local here for the winch and all related parts off of a rust bucket 1953 gasser. The winch sat in the yard for 6 months before I got motivated and installed it. When I sold the truck I just couldn't stand to sell the winch when my tractor didn't have one so I stripped it off the cargo and put it on the tractor. Just for the record, the winch from a gasser will bolt right on a multifuel truck. You have to use everything though as the drive shaft is completely different. Now thanks to the miracles of pipeline trucks, I have more winches than trucks.

Lee Alessi

the crane i pulled was a lesson in READING and OBSERVATION

1) always check the manual, in other words dont winch with the truck tied to an oak tree
2) "" "" "", release the drum lock (i did not)
3) always make sure you have a shear pin vs grade 8 bolt (i had grade 8)

n3uka

Great work on the rescue. Sounds like I will need to get lessons on the winch
before I try to save anyone. Look forward to lots of mud in Aberdeen so I can
see some action. [:)]