• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off topic...... MBU as camper cook top in my LMTV Camper

coachgeo

Off topic...... MBU as camper cook top in an LMTV Camper? Feasible?

Searched everywhere and finding next to nothing anywhere "on this topic"

Anyone have experience with an MBU? Considering a single one as alternative diesel fired cooktop.

Last edited:

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MBU's are a great,safe, somewhat efficient source of heat. I would never use one inside of your vehicle. They can put out a tremendous amount of heat. I've used them for a bunch of years on our MKT without issue.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you start one inside of anything smaller then a warehouse, about 95 seconds later, you will turn into a puddle of fat on the floor. Like thtrev2001 said, they produce a tremendous amount of heat.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, be aware of the CO output on these--- could get really bad really fast.......

Z

coachgeo

Also, be aware of the CO output on these--- could get really bad really fast.......Z
nahhhhhh..... oxygen is overrated[thumbzup]

But ... it's too much fun torturing my students to leave yet so yeah.... no matter what cooking system install.. proper exhaust/intake required. Thanks.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
They are made to heat up all kinds of things. From water to a grill. But the mkt is not "I close" in the sense of a van, for instance. The mkt allows lots of air to flow through, and still the cooks work in t-shirts. I have had some dream meals prepared in a mkt. Now that's what you need! We had a Mess Sgt, and three or four cooks. They could feed out 225 man Battery with no problemo.

FloridaAKM

The diesel fired unit is much safer than the gasoline fired one. The gasoline unit requires filling , preheating out doors away from flammable fumes, two soldiers have to carry it back & place it in the device being used, i.e. a stove unit or a boiling rack. Adjusting the heat is a pain too as the flame will go out if turned too low allowing the unit to spray liquid gasoline on your feet as it runs out of the burner.

If you mount the diesel fired unit outside your living area on the side of the truck, you could cook on it like a griddle or a stove top; but as the guys have stated, it would better be used to melt lead for reloading than cooking for a few people.

Scrounger

It all depends on how you plan on using it. Mounted in a truck and trying to use one is asking for trouble. Just trying to install one with safe clearances would be difficult. They are somewhat large for a small group and unless you are planning on cooking for at least ten or more people there are better choices. However, they can work well for certain applications. An MBU when placed in a burner rack, on a stand with a pot holder and pot is perfect of steaming crabs, scalding oysters, making chili or soup. Replace the stand and pot with a griddle, Coleman Surplus in PA used to have them, and you can grill all the eggs and steaks you may want.
This is one with a 15-gallon pot. You can steam almost two bushels at a time. Notice the size in relation to the 55 gallon drum next to it.

MBU Crab.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MBU outside good, inside bad! Having said that if you install a range hood with a high CFM air flow it would work but inside a LMTV box would be like cooking in a wind tunnel.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are plenty of propane civi cook tops that will work inside a box and I seem to find cheaper ones if I leave the RV out of the search. Posted this on your other thread. #9

Agreed...burning inside...BAD...fumes, flames...plus burning gas, diesel or propane will fill the interior with condensation. This is why almost all high-end expedition vehicles use electric cooktops...highly recommended. Kenyon makes a good product in a ton of configurations. My 2 cents - good luck!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Since the thread has run its course AND the OP is looking at coolant heaters, i got mine in the thought that i could put it under the motor and heat it up in cold weather. I have yet to get the heaters running yet though.

coachgeo

Since the thread has run its course AND the OP is looking at coolant heaters, i got mine in the thought that i could put it under the motor and heat it up in cold weather. I have yet to get the heaters running yet though.
they would make great oil pan eater would think. My digging into a diesel coolant engine heater is for more complex reasons than just occasional engine pre heating though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks