• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2013 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR13 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I know. I was told last time we might shutdown that I had to be to work anyway, and they couldn't guarantee that I'd be paid! But it is the end of the fiscal year, so we don't expect cars until after the Rally anyway.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RR? You holding out on me? I thought I would be in on this project........
Still loading the M814. Nice thing about a big truck is that you can bring everything, and still have room in the back for a M37.:mrgreen:

I have everything together, last thing is to go food shopping on Thursday. And the brand new SAM's is opening up on Thursday also........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone coming down from Chicago area? Looking at a Holmes 220 slide in wrecker unit up that way. LOL, yeah last minute stuff.

AMGeneral

Well,the news( or rather bill)I got this afternoon clinched it,I won't be making the trip to GA again this year. Just got hit with a $1000 repair bill on the backhoe that I wasn't expecting,tough times trying to get this grading business off the ground.

I will PM the 2 parties I had agreed to buy parts from ASAP.

sandcobra164

Well AMGeneral, that stinks. I'd like to see everyone make it to this get together and I love seeing a ton of trucks and owner's having fun on the trails. I may have to point out to Clinto that we may have peaked for the moment on truck count last year. The fiscal uncertainties for many folks are not only still there, they are getting tighter. You would think in a country as great as ours, a man could work his best and provide for his family and have a little left over to enjoy his hobbies but that's not the reality right now. I hope we get back to the good old days that I've been told about. I'm even a little tight this go around but thanks to trucks that burn waste oil, I have 1 less expense to make the trip. You know, you have the same option as me. Drive a civvy vehicle down just to enjoy the camaraderie of the group. I just like bringing the MV's incase I decide to take something on the trails. It'd be alot easier to explain breaking something on an MV than to explain to my wife why her SUV is now broken and her in the boys will have to find another way home. If I break one of my trucks, I'll arrange to have it hauled somewhere and fix it when I get to it. If I tear up Lee's Pathfinder, guess who is not sleeping until it's fixed!!!

100acre

Well,the news( or rather bill)I got this afternoon clinched it,I won't be making the trip to GA again this year. Just got hit with a $1000 repair bill on the backhoe that I wasn't expecting,tough times trying to get this grading business off the ground.

I will PM the 2 parties I had agreed to buy parts from ASAP.
We have all enjoyed your company in times past, and we hope to continue to do so! If you need a free ride, Bayleaf and I will always welcome your presence.

AMGeneral

Brandon......you and the Gimp will be sorely missed. I hope next year brings better fortunes for all.
Yeah,hopefully things will get better.lots of changes here in Morganton as of late, Literally 180 degree turn to try and get extra revenue coming in.

Unfortunately,I had to make some hard decisions what stayed and what went. The backyard looks a lot more empty lately.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dangnabit Brandon! well, we understand and will miss having you there for sure. We will raise a sundrop in your honor!

Looks like I can leave for Durhamtown tonight! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

zout

Indeed Brandon will be sorely missed

Spoke with Swiss to see what we could do when we got there Fri night Sat morning - and mentioned I had some more yellow safety ribbon to possibly mark off some areas. Would not have any stakes - but could lay some stuff out on the ground to help. I might have the 4 squirrels along to help as well come Sun when they shoot out there.

Whatever we can help with on pre-set up please pm me and I give you my cell or just pm me - I do not want to do anything that is not in your plans (cause I am only an attendee and spectator) but willing to help where we can physically.

TMNT

I so wanted to be there from the 6th to the 13th, but work is just too demanding right now. As it stands, I'm planning to roll out very early on the 10th and there around 10:00.

To all of you in the advance party, good luck, Godspeed.......and save me a good tent spot.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning everyone,

A quick update to the swap meet, (Main Field) map. I added the purple color back behind the loading area that will be used to park large transports: (Trucks and trailers longer than 50+ feet), PapaBear, Squirt-Truck etc. These will be parked parallel along the fence. The scale may be off a bit but everyone should get the general idea.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Info-thread&p=1430377&viewfull=1#post1430377

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2013 Steel Solders Georgia Rally - Trail Information.

2013 Steel Solders Georgia Rally - Trail Information.

Basics:
ALL drivers MUST have wrist bands verifying payment of Driver Fee.
All passengers MUST have wrist bands verifying payment of spectator fee.

Trail Fees to be paid at the main lodge:
· $25 1 day pass
· $45 2 day pass
· $65 3 day pass
· $10 Spectator / riders per day

The Trail Ride Leaders are:
1. Squirt-Truck
2. Dumpster
3. Mdmorgan
4. Mdmorganwife

No intoxicated drivers or passengers, no alcohol on the trails.

Organized Trail Rides will be from Thursday – Saturday in the general time frames outlined below:

· Morning Ride
· Early Afternoon
· Later Afternoon

If on an organized or group ride the trail leader is the BOSS and their word is law. If in a convoy, the driver is ALWAYS responsible for the vehicle immediately BEHIND them. Do not follow to close; we do have to back sometimes. Respect the tonnage of what you are driving, BE SAFE.

You do NOT need to wait for an organized trail ride, serve yourself, but, it is HIGHLY recommended not to ride alone, it can be a long walk out.

Organized group rides need to be limited to 7-8 trucks MAX, refer to the direction of the trail leader. This is to allow everyone in a convoy to be a part of the actions and not just sit in traffic.

We have two (2) park areas that we have full access to.
Park #1, South East of the lodge, this park has gentle roadways with off road courses and challenges, they range from mild to severe and extreme.

Park #2, North West of the SS assembly area, has gentle roadways with off road courses, and challenges, some are can be very challenging and technical.

Woods trail, very gentle, nice shady ride, can be tight in places. Just because you may have been on that trail before, with the rains and traffic, the trails are very different that they have been. We do have some areas that are going to be soft, if someone wants to tackle these let a trail leader know or locate the Trail Master (Squirt-Truck) and we will pre-plan for the recovery.

The ATV Park is OFF LIMITS till after 17:30. DO NOT cross any rope roadways, respect signage. If riding in the ATV park after 17:30, all access ropes and such MUST be re-installed as found.

All routine trails have been traversed by Little-Truck (M-37) for 4 wheel vehicles; size has been cleared by Dumpster (M-51 w/oversize mirrors) for trucks. Jeeps fit into this somewhere but we have proven that they will not float, just ask Tigger.

No SS'er gets left behind. We will have recovery personnel and equipment available. Do NOT damage your vehicle trying to prove that you can get it out, request help. Best efforts will be made to use immediate personnel and equipment for recovery, but if needed we have two (2) 5-tons with winches that will be running heavy recovery if needed. (Dumpster and Makincold) Recovery can be DANGEROUS, caution is a must, get the appropriate help.

We all need to be careful , enjoy, have fun, get dirty, try not to break anything major and let’s NOT GET HURT!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do I get refund for class I signed up for.

Gimps 101 to newbies how not to turn truck over. 39.95 to be held at rally Ga 2013

Makincold

So where is general parking for "non-vendors" ??
Meaning for our large MV's and trailers ?
Can I park in the field area where I did last year (Green?) I'm not camping but staying in a cabin

Ladies and Gentleman the clock is ticking and excitement building. All systems are a go for the 2013 Georgia Rally. A small recon team was out at Durhamtown on Saturday working on final details and everything looked great. With all the rain the field is green with grass and the whole area is mowed and awaiting our arrival. The trails are wet and we explored some new areas to play in the woods. Stay tuned as we post more last minute details.

We have a few changes that everyone needs to be aware of coming into the Rally this year. The main field will be reserved for the swap meet and the reserved camping ares. The main camp area is now moved into the wooded area as outlined in the map below.

Map 1: Overall Layout- Shows the overall layout of the Rally for 2013. Please note the entrance from Randolph Church and the registration area on the right once you turn in to Durhamtown. When you arrive please stop by registration to get your name tag and information packet.

Map 2: Swap Meet Area-Shows the layout detail for the swap meet. The legend is below:
1.) Green: This area is available for swap meet vendors to setup. Please note the firepit will be in front of the MKT and is show as the star on the map so be aware that these are not small fires and plan accordingly.

2.) Black: Roads and access. When setting up please note the general location of the roads. We need safe access and travel areas within the swap meet area. Please pay attention when setting up that you keep 20 foot wide road areas open as noted by the map. This will help everyone move safely around and provide access for loading and unloading. Vendors that setup in the roadway will be asked to move.

3.) Yellow: Yellow designates reserved camping spots that individuals have paid for and reserved along with key Rally personal such as MKT, Safety, Registration etc. These areas are not available for setting up unless you have registered and paid with Durhamtown.

4.) MKT: Blue designates the Food Area. This is the MKT where meals will be served at the set times.

5.) Red: This is the loading and unloading area for heavy equipment. This area needs to be kept open with an entrance and exit to the road to allow large equipment such as wreckers to safely unload equipment and loading.

6) Stars: This is the main firepit area.

7) Purple: Transport Truck parking parallel to fence. We have a few large truck and trailer assemblies such as a 5 ton and 30 foot trailers, and the Proud American landall. These can be parked along the fence behind the loading area. These trucks may have to come out for recovery so this area needs to be accessible to get a truck out.

Let the countdown begin and GOD SPEED and safe travels for all our attendees.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So where is general parking for "non-vendors" ??
Meaning for our large MV's and trailers ?
Can I park in the field area where I did last year (Green?) I'm not camping but staying in a cabin
Great Question Makincold! Thank you for asking. If you look at the layout map you will find that I have updated the map to illustrate the clay bowl that is in the camping area. Most people will have their trucks parked by their campsite in the general camping area, but for overflow and other parking, this area is good for parking. In addition, if this area fills up farther up the road past the clay bowl is a huge parking location.

Link to updated layout map.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=454940&d=1380636817

Link to updated post
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Info-thread&p=1430377&viewfull=1#post1430377

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.