• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2016 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 19-23, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Home safe as well. Had to drop off the shelter at my shop. Then enjoyed a nice long hot shower. To steal squirt-truck's line, is it time?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home safe as well. Had to drop off the shelter at my shop. Then enjoyed a nice long hot shower. To steal squirt-truck's line, is it time?
Holy nuclear craaap Batman, look at that glowing porta-head in patracy's avaturd.

Oh, for all you folks that turned in early Saturday, you missed the fireshow.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The volunteer fd was NOT going to get blamed for any forest fires this year. He stayed in bed and smiled knowing others were having fun.

JoeM35

The original info about the rally stated that Durhamtown charged $20 for a multi (3-5) day pass. However, the nice lady that took up the money apparently did not get the memo. She insisted that it was $20 per day, so $40 for my two days. Did I miss something? Otherwise, I enjoyed the rally, except for the dust. A water truck to keep down the dust would have been a big plus.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Durhamtown has a water spraying truck, unfortunately with the drought, the pond used to fill it was dry.

Glockfan

The original info about the rally stated that Durhamtown charged $20 for a multi (3-5) day pass. However, the nice lady that took up the money apparently did not get the memo. She insisted that it was $20 per day, so $40 for my two days. Did I miss something? Otherwise, I enjoyed the rally, except for the dust. A water truck to keep down the dust would have been a big plus.
I ended up getting stung for $80 and mainly just walked around and chatted with folks off and on for three days. I didn't camp. Kinda steep. I enjoyed meeting you guys though...

60Buick

We made it home safe and sound. The M43 Ambulance ran like a champ all week. It was great meeting everybody. The trails were so much fun, the food was good, we bought much needed parts, we learned a lot and saw a bunch of great looking trucks. It was a blast, we will be back next year.

CUCVLOVER

I will definitely be back for next year's rally, this was my first time there and getting to meet some of you guys was great. Did some great riding, learned some stuff about my truck like that I need a lift kit and new king pin bushings and springs. Bought some stuff and I will be wearing the official rally swag when I'm put running around town.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hope a well meaning Mod will close this thread so all the pics and "Multi Media" type stuff gets posted in the Multi Media thread. It's too hard for some of the old folks to bounce back and forth.:papabear:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Georgia-Rally-Multimedia-GMVR16-Thread/page2
I can manage that. Everyone, carry the discussion over to the multimedia thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...l-2016-Georgia-Rally-Multimedia-GMVR16-Thread

Okay, there's a lot to write here. I make notes throughout the event, but there's always stuff and people I miss, so if you're left out, it's not intentional.

First, I want to thank our sponsors. Our primary sponsor, Eastern Surplus, not only supported the rally in ways that helped pay to put it on, but they very graciously donated $250, $100 and $50 gift certificates, which we raffled off. The proceeds from this will go towards improving the event.

Our other major sponsor is Memphis Equipment and they have helped us maintain a long term rally policy of not charging attendees for anything at the rally. The only charges the rally will ask of attendees is for food.

This the rally's first year of having sponsors and we want rally attendees to support the companies that support us.

https://www.easternsurplus.net/

http://memphisequipment.com/

Second, I want to thank the volunteers for the herculean task of running an event of this size. The complexity of this event is impossible to describe to an outsider. There are so many enormous tasks and tiny fires to put out. The people who put this on like Recovry4x4, SCSG-G4, MWMULES, etc and the people who help them, like Phil2968, Wheelspinner, Wreckerman893, Rmtaunton, Pam, Ferroequineologist, etc. are simply irreplaceable. That MKT that cooks food all week so we don't have to show up with multiple coolers full of food? It runs on hard labor, pure and simple. Those tents and tables and chairs that we use to eat? They don't set themselves up.

All the people who do these things, like helping me wash out and refill the hand washing stations, setting up the MKT, etc., these are things that have to happen and without them, there's no rally and for this, we should all be grateful.

Third, thanks to all the attendees who bought shirts. I have a few left and I'll inventory them tomorrow and start and thread and sell them. Don't have many, maybe 20 or so inn various sizes.

Fourth, thanks to Gunnermac who has loaned us a good M105A2 with a good cover to store the tables, tents and chairs in.

Fifth, thanks to Jacob for letting me drive his M35. Driven plenty of M35A2's, today was my first gasser drive. Cool! (not rally related, obviously)

Sixth, thanks to Wheelspinner for letting me drive his HMMWV. (not rally related, obviously)

Seventh, thanks to It'saPlymouth and our buddy Eric for letting us use the tent and enclosed trailer as an HQ experiment.

Eighth, thanks to R4x4 for the gas.

Ninth, thanks to Coffey1 and 73M819 for all their work using their trucks to pick up heavy stuff for folks. D-town usually lets us use their skid steer but it broke down, so sling loading all this heavy stuff was our only choices and these guys made it look easy.

Tenth, thanks to 73M819 for going and rescuing SCSG-G4 when the transmission in the deuce pulling the MKT started leaking gear oil out the front.

Eleventh, thanks to all the guys who swapped the transmission and got the truck up and running while SCSG cooked.

Twelfth, thanks to Twright for making coffee.

Thanks to Dante, PCTrans, TruckGuy and Gimpy for the good deals, even if Gimpy never gave me what I wanted to buy and took it back home with him. And thanks to Glcaines for letting me crawl all over his M35A3 to answer some questions.

Finally we decided to give up trying to count vehicles this year. It's been 10 years and we grown 9 of the 10. We all know the rally is national caliber. And it was really stressing the registration tent volunteers. On Friday, Squirt-truck, Fifty and I made a cursory walk around the rally and got 125 vehicles. When you consider all the trucks that showed up Friday night, Saturday and the Tatra Sunday morning, we probably had 140 trucks for 2016.

This week, I'll get the 2017 dates set and I'll post them here and on the facebook page.

Thank you all for coming. I hope you all had a great time.

This has always been an ongoing problem with Durhamtown. Their pricing structure is complex and this leads to employees not charging correct amounts (or it leads to incorrect policies being listed). I will work with them to simplify the system and to try and implement some better training. Can you pm me details about your experience (were you camping, driving, etc.)?

D-town has run water trucks for us basically every year, but the epic drought we're having has drained their water table. They only watered a couple tracks because they were having races and it was a safety issue.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Even though this is a closed thread, I want to add this info so that anyone searching who ends up here has an answer:

Official 17GMVR dates are Oct. 18-22, 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks