• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2020 Georgia Military Vehicle Rally (20GMVR) information thread

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK Olga's brother got their meadows back in restitution, only it turned out the communists had built a small airfield for agriculture spraying partly on those meadows. That should be big enough for a C5A or C-17. From there, its only 12 miles to the workshop.

Actually, I found my own truck in its old location on google: just above that strange white rectangle (sheet metal roof section) in the top right. left bottom is a "Czech deuce" - V3S. The pinkish arrow points at a white Trabant combi and an old orange-colored Russian-made bulldozer.

google truck arrows.jpg

Seriously, probably 2021, the former military airport in Ceske Budejovice will be reopened for commercial international traffic up to Boeing 737 and Airbus 320. So big transport airplanes will be no problem. From there, its 30 miles to the workshop. We can arrange cheap trailer transport for trucks to our location.

edit: I changed the link to the truck location for the actual screenshot of the google map.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I'll let the cat out of the bag.

Right after the rally, I emailed D-town and asked for a date. There was some back and forth with D-town about the hunters complaining about the noise but honestly, I've heard that from them for 10-12 years.

Then out of the blue they send me an email. I'll quote it directly:

" I hope you're doing well. I wanted to let you know that we have decided in 2021 not to let the Military Rally be held here at Durhamtown. Please understand that this is not personal but a business decision. We appreciate your past business and friendship. We wish you all the best. Stay well."

I haven't bothered to ask them why, because anyone who's been in business for any period of time knows the above is a "you're fired" letter, so honestly, who cares why?

I don't want this thread, or anywhere else on social media to become a D-town punching bag. I'd hope we as a hobby can comport ourselves in a professional manner.

So what Gunnermac and I need are recommendations for a replacement facility in Georgia.

Before anyone replies, I want you to think about what D-town offered:

A nice square, flat area for a swap meet
A nice wooded area for camping
Trails big enough for 5-ton trucks that wasn't rock crawling
RV hookups
Showers
Cabins and RV rentals
A little bit of food service

Now, obviously, it'll be hard to replace all of those things in one place. But we need to be realistic: "I know a guy with 20 acres with no power, water or trails" isn't going to cut it.

We will need some level of infrastructure and once we see all the potential replacements, we can decide what we're willing to give up.

You can post here in this thread or you can PM me here or on the rally Facebook page.

Much thanks and looking forward to 2021 being a better year or all of us being dead in some sort of apocalyptic nightmare.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now, obviously, it'll be hard to replace all of those things in one place. But we need to be realistic: "I know a guy with 20 acres with no power, water or trails" isn't going to cut it.
Unless those 20 acres are within a short distance to DP. The 2 main benefits they offered were the field/woods and a few powered spots. Everything else we bought or brought with us.

Personally, I'd not spend a dime with them but those who are really looking to trail ride, might have that option.

Truthfully, they have been urinating in our cornflakes for quite a while and now, they made the decision for us. Clinto, you asked us to be civil with bashing DP. Have you considered that when folks start asking them come November, "Where are the Army trucks?" are going to place blame fully on the rally. Maybe we should rent B1 and park a semi trailer there with a sign saying the really has moved to.....

There is a campground here that could probably accommodate the rally by size but there are no big trails. They have some cabins (5 maybe) and both full service drive through and primitive sites. There is an off highway vehicle area called "Beasley Knob" that would accommodate smaller vehicles. The trails are somewhat technical. There are hundreds of miles of FS roads around here as well. The problem with FS roads is there is no place to get stuck. I know the family that runs the place and I could go have a word with them. They also have horse stables so if anyone wanted to take a ride upon the original military vehicle, they could do that.

I also have a friend that was a firefighter for the Forest Service. I can query him about some decent forest service roads to accommodate our needs.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most unfortunate. Hopefully the Rally will survive. Only other place I know of in that part of GA is near Wrens, just outside of Augusta.

sunnysideatvparadise.com

About 1000 acres, listed for ATVs but can accommodate Jeep’s and trucks. One of the owners was my neighbor last time I lived in the area, they seemed like good folks, but I don’t know much more about the place.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, in the future perhaps we could generate a poll for feedback and list the stuff DP offers. Let's see how folks feel about power, cabins, food service trails, ect. I am not heartbroken over this.

If anyone remembers, when we were evicted from the horse pasture many thought it would doom the rally, it sure didn't. This won't either.

Welder1

Right after the rally, I emailed D-town and asked for a date. There was some back and forth with D-town about the hunters complaining about the noise but honestly, I've heard that from them for 10-12 years.

Then out of the blue they send me an email. I'll quote it directly:

" I hope you're doing well. I wanted to let you know that we have decided in 2021 not to let the Military Rally be held here at Durhamtown. Please understand that this is not personal but a business decision. We appreciate your past business and friendship. We wish you all the best. Stay well."

I haven't bothered to ask them why, because anyone who's been in business for any period of time knows the above is a "you're fired" letter, so honestly, who cares why?

I don't want this thread, or anywhere else on social media to become a D-town punching bag. I'd hope we as a hobby can comport ourselves in a professional manner.

So what Gunnermac and I need are recommendations for a replacement facility in Georgia.

Before anyone replies, I want you to think about what D-town offered:

A nice square, flat area for a swap meet
A nice wooded area for camping
Trails big enough for 5-ton trucks that wasn't rock crawling
RV hookups
Showers
Cabins and RV rentals
A little bit of food service

We will need some level of infrastructure and once we see all the potential replacements, we can decide what we're willing to give up.

You can post here in this thread or you can PM me here or on the rally Facebook page.

Much thanks and looking forward to 2021 being a better year or all of us being dead in some sort of apocalyptic nightmare.
Well this may turn up to be a good thing. It will force us to find another location. I had a feeling that 2020 maybe the last year there not sure why but things seemed different. So people offer up suggestions so we can figure this out.

Eddie

sandcobra164

This is going to sound dumb but sending my thoughts anyhow. What would he the downside of us reserving our usual cabins/spots in the main field? Would they ask us to leave? I know it may take some time to put together an alternate venue but I'm considering going with my usual cabin and setup next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there are only 12 or 13 spots there so if you reserve a spot, there will only be 12 others in the field with you. Just because one rents a cabin doesn't grant them access to that field.

Ray, obviously they can't except when we do night trail rides..

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Have you considered that when folks start asking them come November, "Where are the Army trucks?" are going to place blame fully on the rally. Maybe we should rent B1 and park a semi trailer there with a sign saying the really has moved to.....
To be honest; no, I had not considered that aspect.

When I stopped judging at Mopar Nationals a long time ago, I asked the uppity-ups why they insisted on doing it in August when it was always 105° and the answer was simple: "It's been the 2nd week of August for 20 years. If we changed the date, 15,000 people would still show up on the 2nd weekend of August".

Your idea is amusing but I strongly suspect they'd take that sign down quickly.

I hope, between the almost 700 people who've liked and followed the rally Facebook page and this thread that we can get the message out to 85%+/- of the attendees. I posted the announcement on FB 22 hrs ago and it's already been seen by over 200 people.

The current regime at D-town may not be there forever and there may be smoother sailing at some point off in the future. I'm not opposed to burning bridges, just wanna' make sure I have no interest in re-crossing them in the future.

There is a campground here that could probably accommodate the rally by size but there are no big trails. They have some cabins (5 maybe) and both full service drive through and primitive sites. There is an off highway vehicle area called "Beasley Knob" that would accommodate smaller vehicles. The trails are somewhat technical. There are hundreds of miles of FS roads around here as well. The problem with FS roads is there is no place to get stuck. I know the family that runs the place and I could go have a word with them. They also have horse stables so if anyone wanted to take a ride upon the original military vehicle, they could do that.

I also have a friend that was a firefighter for the Forest Service. I can query him about some decent forest service roads to accommodate our needs.
I'm not sure.

If I can figure out how to do a "ranked choice" poll like someone posted above, that would give me a better idea.

I.E., in order of importance, most to least, list the following 5 items
trails
swap meet
improved facilities (i.e. cabins, etc)
facilities like showers, power/water
food availability

Etc.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is going to sound dumb but sending my thoughts anyhow. What would he the downside of us reserving our usual cabins/spots in the main field? Would they ask us to leave? I know it may take some time to put together an alternate venue but I'm considering going with my usual cabin and setup next year.
At the end of the day, they could tell you to leave. It's their facility and I think the argument "oh hey, we just all happened to show up on the same weekend" probably wouldn't fly.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there are only 12 or 13 spots so if you reserve a spot, there will only be 12 others in the field with you. Just because one rents a cabin doesn't grant them access to that field.

Ray, obviously they can't except when we do night trail rides..
That's not the reason. It would be easy for them to tell us no night rides. That would not be a deal breaker, most rally attendees that camp in the rally field spend the evening around a campfire visiting with friends.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
That's not the reason. It would be easy for them to tell us no night rides. That would not be a deal breaker, most rally attendees that camp in the rally field spend the evening around a campfire visiting with friends.
I know my group of people wouldn’t come for that aspect, we love the SS family, that said riding is what we come for. I’m always down to party in my 7 ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks