• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Offroad Lights

86M10086.2L

I'm looking t mount some offroad lights on my 1008. I did a search to try to check out a few options and I read alot of good things about the Gamma Goat/Armored vehicle lights being used. I saw them used on a duece and they looked and worked well. I really like the idea of the high beam low beam feature. Also being that the aftermarket lights are so expensive, I'd rather spend the money and have a military light. Problem is I can't find them anywhere. I've checked the classified section here, Saturn Surplus, E-pay, Carigslist no luck. I know there a a few guys in here that have goats. Anybody have any idea where I might be able to pick a set of them up? Is there a specific name or designation for them to help narrow my search? Also they are 24V are 12V bulbs available for them? I plan on mounting these in the grille guard, and eventually picking up or making my own roof bar for a full compliment of obnoxious nightime illumintaion. Never can have too much light on the trail.

jimm1009

lights

They are normally 24 volts due to the large usage on armored vehicles, APC, Deuces, etc. but the take a standard SAE sealed beam so you could put in 12 volt beams or even 12 volt H4 lights.
You will find them with and without the dark lens used for NVG training, war fare, etc.
These can be removed so that the standard clear or yellow lens shows and they work just fine.
E-bay is another source too.
JIm

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I won't have any until probably Sep or Oct. Quite a few folks got theirs from me over the past year or two. They work great. I had infra-red ones on my CUCV front grill. Although space is limited, I have seen a member on here mount both IR and clear lens ones on a CUCV grill. The clear ones were mounted at the bottom of the grill if I remember correctly. You can use 12 volts to the 24 volt lights it just they aren't as bright. For the IR lights, it doesn't really affect them for most purposes. I could see just fine with PVS-7s using the 24 volt bulbs on a 12 volt circuit. The white lights are a bit less than expected though. I would swap out the bulbs for 12 volt and hook up a 4 way switch (off, low, high, and both low & high on at the same time). One person on here said in the low & high mode they are not lights but flame throwers.

If you do go onto egay, be cautious of a guy by the name of images 54. He stole a bunch of these lights and hawking them on there from time to time. A bunch of threads about that on the old board.

86M10086.2L

I didn't realize that the infared lenses were removable. I have seen a few of them around. that is at least another option. I saw a Jeep Cherokee today that had some nice thin off road lights on it Hellas I think. Look like they would fit in real nice without having to remove the bridge plate. I'm gonna keep my eye out for the APC lights though and pick up a decent set if I find them. Gonna look into the aftermarket lights as I'm debating putting fog lamps on the grille guard now and mounting the clear lamps on the roof.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I didn't realize that the infared lenses were removable. I have seen a few of them around. that is at least another option.

Yes the lens is removable but you have to put the clear lens in to replace it or your bulb will be easily cracked by the first pebble that hits it. The lens is real thick glass. I hit a guardrail at 45 mph head on and both lens survived the impact. The bulbs were toast, the mounting screws for the armored lights were completed broken off but the lens survived!

Reverend Evil

I know 6'' 100 watt (kc style) lights fit in the brush gaurd in several places my truck does not have the bridge plate so they are mounted on the bumper behind the brush gaurd in the bottom holes .

Also this is my first post so be gentle if it has already been said or how ever:grin:

cucv1833

I know 6'' 100 watt (kc style) lights fit in the brush gaurd in several places my truck does not have the bridge plate so they are mounted on the bumper behind the brush gaurd in the bottom holes .

Also this is my first post so be gentle if it has already been said or how ever:grin:
Reverend Evil
Welcome to the site. I have 6" PIAA lites 12v install in my brushgaurd. they seem to work real well.

natemccabe

I run 55w hella lights from Wally world, they seem to light up enough of the dark road between Fairbanks and Wasilla pretty well as I can't see hardly anything with just the low beam head lights. I have them run through the relay that came with the set so that they come on with the high beams. Although I would like to get a set of 12" lightforce but I think I'd have to modify the brush guard a little to get em to fit where I want. I see the big rigs driving that road at night with em on and they really light up the entire roadway down into the ditches, gotta watch out for them silly moose that like to jump out into the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks