• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Offroad mods

PawnShopEd

I just got my duece running perfectly, as can be expected lol, new gaskets, gauges etc. I'm still running stock tires but am debateing switching to super singles and larger size. Just debating how beneficial this would be over stock.

As well I do offroad with this at rausch creek, and want to start going up to mt carmel etc.
What type of rear mods, would be reccomended? Lockers different seals etc. I just picked up the yellow seals for the front axle like the pinzers.

So what kind of stuff overall would you reccomend as a must have, and what would be good but a bit more of an extreme.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The larger tires only afford you more ground clearance. I would think a locker in the middle axle would help the most, after a winch, of course.

PawnShopEd

How do the tires in a super single configuration compare to the dually setup in the rear of these trucks stock.

Winch is a work in progress, I'm trying to find one locally, but can't seem to find one and have been told the 5 ton winch fits upside down but works properly and I have a lead on that.
The rear rear already has a locker correct? and the fronts I was debating on a locker as well or atleast locking hubs would that interfere with the air shift?

mudguppy

How do the tires in a super single configuration compare to the dually setup in the rear of these trucks stock.

Winch is a work in progress, I'm trying to find one locally, but can't seem to find one and have been told the 5 ton winch fits upside down but works properly and I have a lead on that.
The rear rear already has a locker correct? and the fronts I was debating on a locker as well or atleast locking hubs would that interfere with the air shift?
i have not had my truck when it had duals on it, but have read on here many times that singles do much better offroad than the dual NDTs. there are about 4 ba-zillion tire threads that will offer a ton of interesting reading for you. the short story is that a 46" tire is the largest you can fit on the deuce without the rears contacting each other. so the 395's and 15.50/80R20s are good candidates.

i don't believe that a 5 ton winch will fit on the front of a deuce without some pretty good work. it's been done, and who did it and what thread escapes me right now. this might be able to be dug up with a 'search'..... might.

the deuce does not have a locking differential in stock configuration - all diffs are 'open'. i like lockers in my bob'd deuce but have not driven a standard deuce on the street with automatic lockers in the rears, so i don't know how well that drives. if you've got a decent budget, the ARB air lockers would be the cat's meow for on and off-road - they can be had for ~$900/ea.

i have an automatic locker in the front axle of my truck. this is one of the reasons i am running locking hubs. i believe that a locking diff in the front axle is more valuable than in the rear. again, ARBs are nice but expensive. on the other hand, getting a detroit or Ouverson ultralocker + locking hubs will be about the same price, so the choice is yours.

locking hubs won't affect the air shift - unless you have your hubs unlocked and lock in the front axle while the truck is moving. this could damage the dogs on your front axle engagement collar, so be sure you're locked in and/or stopped before you engage the front axle.

oh, and post pics. :grin:

GoHot229

This is off the wall mabe, I like the NDT 900's in the standard configuration for about everything I'v encountered, which includes really sticky mud. Now the front axle was the problem child there, and I might add that was with 40 lbs air, so my thinking for the places I go, to set up the front axles with the right lugnuts and carry one more spare so that I can convert to duals in the front. If the front floats, then the battle is won. If you set down and really think about it, guys are looking for a lagitimate excuse to "need" big or bigger tires. Hay thats fine. I think singles look duffus with the narrow rear track, it just looks weenie. If they float better, well good then. The other option with dual rears is to go 11.00's all around.

gimpyrobb

Hey, mine would work if I put a shear pin in it. Besides, if your a good driver, you only use it to pull out other people. :twisted:

Wonder if you could figure one out. If you can't fix lugnuts, I doubt it. (ouch, that was mean and I'm sorry)

NO, not really.

tm america

hey gimps winch worked when i was getting pulled out at haspin shot everyones was working to get me out so what if we killed like ten shear pins. super singles are night and day from duels offroad .duels will pack full of mud and float .not only does bigger tires give you more ground clearance it gives you a bigger contact patch and more lugs on the ground .plus they help out on things like going over branches and things like that since they hit the tire on a different angle making it easier to go over . lockers are great but singles are the best bang for the buck they give you better traction in all situations and better mpg and a higher top speed. but lockers and singles would be just awsome

PawnShopEd

This is off the wall mabe, I like the NDT 900's in the standard configuration for about everything I'v encountered, which includes really sticky mud. Now the front axle was the problem child there, and I might add that was with 40 lbs air, so my thinking for the places I go, to set up the front axles with the right lugnuts and carry one more spare so that I can convert to duals in the front. If the front floats, then the battle is won. If you set down and really think about it, guys are looking for a lagitimate excuse to "need" big or bigger tires. Hay thats fine. I think singles look duffus with the narrow rear track, it just looks weenie. If they float better, well good then. The other option with dual rears is to go 11.00's all around.

I have plenty of spairs Any other mods then bud nuts then lug nuts like the rear to make dual front tires?

PawnShopEd

So far I've only been out on one outing which was the fall rally to rausch creek and I didn't get stuck in anything with stockers. Actually I had to pull (i forgot his name nice guy though's) Bobbed 5 ton on 49's or 53's up a hill and through a ravine every once in a while I had to back up and tug again with both of us but that seemed to be more of a locker problem. And the deeper mud holes I went through when the 5 tons had to back up a few times, and Jasons duece made it through with just the rear wheels with only two back ups and go's on stocks the only difference and that was mud up to the doors. So I'm impressed so far by the stocks and mine are kinda worn down lol. But I have noticed the fornt diff has a few scrapes on it from rubbing so a little additional ground clearence wouldn't be bad.

I'm getting ready to buy another duece to bob to go on larger tires.

So the ARB air lockers would be the cat's meow for on and off-road ehh. lol. Thats not to bad of an upgrade for the price though.

I'm in MD, so theres not to much other then mud here, I do plan on takeing this to my dads in the bottom of WV. which on our one farm no one uses anymore is pretty much everything from fallen tree's to streems to extreme hill's. Other then that I plan on going to PA to rausch creek every other weekend during the summer. I take my quads up to go riding on the tower city side so makes a double weekend atv's then when worn out duecing lol. which is mostly rocky and muddy from what I can see.

Also if One planned to turn up a duece a bit I'm guessing a pyrometer would be reccomended.
Would this work and how hard is this to switch to 24v just bulb?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370278686724&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks as always

And as far as the mudding with stocks, and other terrain.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I8wQ-r47N4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMP6PGKnjLk[/media]

PawnShopEd

Heres some photos of a day I got bored.... and There was this extra car out back that was inspected ... rare... and in my way along with some extra scrap metal I decided to haul out....

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Don't really need a gauge that goes THAT high. Its not good to run over 1200*. I got a Stewart Warner gauge for $20 and got the thermocouple from Hewitt. I think it was cheaper than that one too. I have a thread, let me see if I can find it.

PawnShopEd

Ya I'd like to see that rob, I want to keep it as stock looking as possible but definatly have better light - The stock speedometer at night is hard to read at a glance and the tach I can see the needle and just feel the danger sticker and see how far the needle is from my finger lol.

powerhouseduece

And the deeper mud holes I went through when the 5 tons had to back up a few times, and Jasons duece made it through with just the rear wheels with only two back ups and go's on stocks the only difference and that was mud up to the doors.http://

Easy now..... lol Us 5 ton's pushed A Lot of mud and water out of the hole for you little guys!

PawnShopEd

Easy now..... lol Us 5 ton's pushed A Lot of mud and water out of the hole for you little guys!
I'm not knocking the 5 tons - I would expect them to do better lol I'm just saying they were the only thing with a super single setup and I didn't notice much of a benefit if you guys had to back and forth it. And water yes you pushed it out but you didn't dig to much of the mud out for us little guys lol.

powerhouseduece

I'm not knocking the 5 tons - I would expect them to do better lol I'm just saying they were the only thing with a super single setup and I didn't notice much of a benefit if you guys had to back and forth it. And water yes you pushed it out but you didn't dig to much of the mud out for us little guys lol.

I know, im just messing with you. Ill be the first one to tell you my tires suck. another thing to keep in mind, I ran my m818 across the scale down the streen from RC and found out why it really sucks to wheel with a tractor. I had 16k lbs on the front axle but only 5k on BOTH rears. Im not saying it wasn't cool but just not a mud truck. As of right now im counting my pennies for a set of 1600's but the XL tread pattern