• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Dear Lord! I just bought a 5 ton from Ft Rucker in AL. Now what?

moretoys

After lurking around SS for nearly a year trying to learn all I could, I got serious last week about getting my feet wet. Yesterday I stumbled onto a 1991 m923a2 with 13,000 miles. I say "stumbled onto", because the heading for the auction listing was incorrect: It was listed as a "m931a2 truck, tractor" (Have you guys every seen that sort of huge listing error before? ) So I guess most folks looking for a cargo truck had missed this auction and only 2 people were bidding on it with 15 min left to go. It was going so cheap that I quickly threw a bid at it and …. whoops! 10 minutes later I owned a truck!

The GL Ad Said: Starts and Drives, and apparently Ft Rucker allows Drive Outs with insurance and Temp tags. So now I'm debating the options of A) trying to drive it straight back to Nashville from Osark, AL, (a big scary 375 mile adventure) or B) have it trucked all the way up, ($$$) or C) Trying to find/arrange a short tow from Ft Rucker to a place nearby where it can be checked out by someone more experienced than me.
I know what I don't know, and I don't know big diesels and Air brakes.

So here's the link to the m923a2 (hopefully not a 931a2) I just bought:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5894601

I imagine most everyone on this forum is wiser and more experienced than me on this subject, so I would truly appreciate any opinions or suggestions on how best to get this beautiful beast home to Music City.
Many thanks!
MoreToys (Greg Page)

If you decide to do a recovery, rather than having it hauled, I would suggest that you find someone that knows these trucks inside out and do whatever it takes to get them to go with you.
Congrats on your win, these are fun trucks.

jw4x4

Greg- Welcome to the world of BIG green iron. You did more than get your feet wet, you jumped head-first into the deep end. As far as GL listings go, descriptions and pics are commonly mis-matched. GL is not responsible for listing errors, so no matter which truck it is, you bought it. With you not being familiar with big diesel trucks nor air brakes, I strongly suggest that for your own safety and moreso for the well-being of all other motorists, you DO NOT drive this truck. No matter how much you are able to learn before you pick it up, this is just waaaay too much vehicle to just get behind the wheel and head thru the gate. If driven off the base, it needs to be checked out first. My advice would be to have it hauled or take someone knowledgeable and experienced with BIG trucks and air brakes to drive it for you and you would be in the chase vehicle. I wish you all the best. 2cents

Artisan

If you have bee here a year I would say your well on your way.
I think i was here constantly for 'maybe' a month and I bought an M925A1.
I planned HUGE before I picked it up. I got all kinds of tools and suvival
gear in case I broke down and I hit the road, drove clear across the state
of WA and into Idaho and partially back w/o issue.

Be SURE to check all fluid levels. KNOW the truck before you take off.
You can do it! BUT, be prepared for the worst, you break YOUR BROKE
and be ready for a HUGE tow bill... plus have survival gear if your in snow.

It was one experience I will NEVER forget. I had a BLAST. Get ready for some fun
but do your homework. Carry an IPAD or laptop w/ manuals in case of issues.
Check tire pressures, go over it w/ a fine toothed comb before you set sail.
Replace wiper blades if necessary. Try to have a couple of phone numbers
to some old pros in case you have an issue. Know where the fuel shut off
is under the hood and know where it's lever is supposed ot be posistioned
for normal op's ( mine was partially closed and we saw it and fixed it )

DO A COLA test before you drive it! If it fails TOW IT or fix it. You have been
here a year, you will prob be A-Ok...take pics and post up!

moretoys

You did more than get your feet wet, you jumped head-first into the deep end. 2cents
Yeah, I had already convinced myself I should just buy a solid, totally checked out m923 or m35a3 from a reputable dealer. Then this truck popped up: Singles, low miles, dropsides... just what I was looking for. And with 15 min to go in the auction, it was sitting at around $3500.... I had no choice: I HAD to place a bid! It's really the fault of those other guys for not being considerate enough to out-bid me. :)

jw4x4

I got my 932 the same way. I put up a low bid and nobody did their job outbidding me. I removed the 5th wheel and added a shortened 5-ton dropside bed. I really love this truck.

agazza2

I watched this same vehicle you bought. It went at a great price, but I needed one just for parts. Instead I bought the M872A1 trailer. I would agree with Artisan. I did the same and just prepared well before driving mine from Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) to Austin Texas. For preparation I downloaded all manuals to my IPAD, and read the forums on SS as to problems others experienced. (start-up instructions to bringing a hammer to hit the rear brake drums if the brakes are locked up).

I brought a full bag of tools as checked in luggage, including multi-meters, test lights. I also went to NAPA before I left and bought a set of glad hands, and a coiled air-hose for Home depot to build my own air hose to air up the tires. This came in very handy as I did not want to rely on the CTIS. I disconnected the CTIS at the controller and aired up each tire individually. Then I put on my coveralls and climbed under the truck and check the fluids for the differentials, transfer case, and checked for any loose u-joints or hoses and wires. I would also recommend a chain hoist to lower the tire in case you needs to change it (read operators manual on changing this tire with CTIS). Do a quick air brake test before moving the vehicle (found in most drivers test manuals for CDLs) to make sure there are no problems. Drive a short approx 25 miles, and then check all the temps of your hubs of each wheel for excessive heat. They should all be about the same temp and touchable by hand. If you detect any problems, you can find a local storage facility and then store it till you want to come back and recover it with a another member and tow bar or trucking company. Also have a list of all wrecking companies along the you will be driving, so if you break down, you will have the numbers readily accessible.

My drive was very memorable and if I would have bid higher on the same truck, my intentions were to drive it back to Austin Texas. I think the truck condition looks as if it was taken care of, and with a good preliminary inspection should drive fine back for you. Just prepare ahead of time, and you should be fine.

Allan
A Proud owner of a 1990 M931A1.

Jayco36REQS

I did the exact same thing.... was on SS for a yr before buying my M923A1. I got mine off GL in Indy... 120 miles recovery. I took my pickup with my step-dad, who had been a truck driver for 50 yrs, took extra fluids of all sorts, emergency hose wrap, goop fix a flat, and $500 cash. I've driven lot's of big trucks in my life so I wasn't concerned about jumping in and driving it. If you don't have experience with big trucks, these are not toys by no means. Air brakes take getting used to, lot's of weight takes getting used to, turning rates, etc.. it's all just something esle to get used to. But any, my recovery was a piece of cake. I was lucky... all the fluids were perfect, it fired right up... even had almost a full tank of fuel!

I wish you lot's of luck! Keep us posted!!

WA454

This too has been my dilemna. When I do take the plunge, should I attempt a recovery,or pay for hauling. It seems there are never any 5 tons any where near my location in Fl. so I am looking at a road trip across several states.

I think the answer depends on ones mechanical abilities, and level of confidence. Most SS members seem very helpful. I am sure lots of them would lend a hand if called upon.

Is there a list of SS members that would be willing to help a fellow member out if trouble should arise during a recovery?
Thanks Bill

jedawson1

I have a M923A1 in Murfreesboro, TN. PM me if you want to take a look and talk about your recovery, I'll even let you drive it.
I drove mine 800 miles home from Ft. McCoy Wisconsin. You just need to be prepared and it helps to have a local inspect it so you know what your dealing with. i had a local army mechanic inspect mine for $75 and he had me a 2 page hand written report.

I'm driving my 5ton to Lowe's to do some shopping this morning then to the gun range after lunch.

moretoys

I drove mine 800 miles home from Ft. McCoy Wisconsin. You just need to be prepared and it helps to have a local inspect it so you know what your dealing with. i had a local army mechanic inspect mine for $75 and he had me a 2 page hand written report. .
How does one arrange for a local "checkup"? Did that happen on the base before your drove out? Is that something the GL Rep at Ft Rucker might help me to arrange? (I've been unable to reach him thus far, and I've read in a post elsewhere that he is only there on Wed) I would feel much more confident about a drive home once an experienced mechanic has given it the once over.

jedawson1

I found a guy on SS by posting my need, also you can search on SS "inspection Ft. Rucker". If the truck runs and drives in the auction video then my greatest concern would be the CTIS system leaking and the tires sitting flat. The singles have stiff sidewalks and it ruins them to sit flat. The person inspecting can go to the GL yard prior to pick up and give you a report. If more then one tire has sat flat I would just ship it home. Also if you find a local inspector, most can pick up the truck and store it for you affordable if you need time or if it needs repair prior to driving home. I would search and read recommendations, lots of good men on here, that like to help. PM me your number if you want to talk or come see/drive my truck. Not sure what your experience is with heavy equipment and air brakes but it helps to know what to expect.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did jump into the deep end!!
But it is all fun if you plan your pickup and just think about safety.
I did about the same think you did when I got my first MV.

Have a safe and fun recovery!!!!

MO MV man

Hey moretoys!

All of the above recommendations for retrieval are fantastic. Heed them.
I brought entirely too much stuff with me when I set out on my journey but, thankfully, I didn't need but a tenth of it. Ahhh.....

I drove my GL acquisition about 125 miles home without incident.
Let me tell you what.....these monsters drive GREAT.
They ride REALLY well. And the automatic with power steering REALLY is a sweet combination.

It took about a week of looking out and seeing the beast for it to really sink in........"you bought THAT?!". :shock:
I'm definitely having visions of bobbing it....... :drool:

Congrats!

Artisan

I was told and I believe it true that if it is cold outside that you will
run that truck for at least a 1/2 hour before all oils and metals
come up to temperature. Additionally it takes some time for
the tires to get loosened up. You will see a difference
in the overall feel of a warmed up vs cold truck.

I too may have had too much stuff but every last tool
and whatnot had a purpose, IF it were needed. You can
not be too prepared unless you have a FAT wallet and
can call for a tow w/o $ worries.

I learned post Auction-Win that I needed a CDL, and I am sure you
do since all states are bound to adheare to FEDERAL regulations
so I went out and got it. I had it in 9 days. Piece of cake. I
SO HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get it.

Remember that if indeed a CDL is required (wanna bet?) and you wreck
you stand to loose all your possessions in a court of law plus any money
and property you own. Think real hard about that, and if there is a death or injury?
Think JAIL. They are HUGE trucks and a good understand of
WhoWhatWhereWhy&How is mandatory. If you do not know
what C.O.L.A. is have it TOWED and do not drive it on
roads till you know what it is.

IMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks