• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Dear Lord! I just bought a 5 ton from Ft Rucker in AL. Now what?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So have you talked to anyone there or previewed it? The "mislabeling" I have usually seen, seems to be wrong pictures with a truck. Are you sure you have a cargo and not a tractor?

edit:
Actually, after really looking at your pics. The 923 VIN number in the picture is in the description. Looks like it is a cargo. Congrats!

Last edited:

aspann

According to the stock number, it is a M923A2. You don't need a CDL in Al. unless you are going to use it for a business. I worked at Ft. Rucker for over 37 years in Avionics. I live about 45 minutes away. I have had a M923 for about three weeks, haven't got a plate or insurance on it yet. I know of about 3 more people near here with M923's. I have a farm where you could store it if you need to. Message me for details and when you plan to come down here.

moretoys

According to the stock number, it is a M923A2. You don't need a CDL in Al. unless you are going to use it for a business. I worked at Ft. Rucker for over 37 years in Avionics. I live about 45 minutes away. I have had a M923 for about three weeks, haven't got a plate or insurance on it yet. I know of about 3 more people near here with M923's. I have a farm where you could store it if you need to. Message me for details and when you plan to come down here.
Many thanks! It's great to know there are experienced owners within shouting distance. Yes, the fact that the Serial number and mileage shown in the Video agreed with the auction's text info was what gave me confidence that I was actually bidding on that m923, rather than an unseen m931 as noted in the header. As to CDL, I have 2 friends here in TN that assure me you don't need a CDL for a deuce or a 5 ton in this state either, as long as it is not used commercially. Do you still have any connections at the base to a motorpool guy or perhaps a civilian I could pay to do a "pre-flight" inspection on this truck, and possibly make any minor repairs needed before the trip home? I've got a friend who drives a 60,000 lb concrete truck who will help me get it home, but I'm a typical noobie, and still inexperienced in inspecting, troubleshooting and repairing these beasts. Thanks!

aspann

Don't have any connections to a motorpool guy. I can take a look at it along with a friend that I bought my M923 from. I'm sure he would help out. He has tools, tow bars etc. I just need to find out just where on Ft. Rucker it is located. There would be no fee, at least on my end. I have driven mine for about 50-75 miles with no trouble. My friend drove it down from Huntsville to here. I could probable put you up here at the farm until everything is taken care of.

moretoys

Don't have any connections to a motorpool guy. I can take a look at it along with a friend that I bought my M923 from. I'm sure he would help out. He has tools, tow bars etc. I just need to find out just where on Ft. Rucker it is located. There would be no fee, at least on my end. I have driven mine for about 50-75 miles with no trouble. My friend drove it down from Huntsville to here. I could probable put you up here at the farm until everything is taken care of.

Wow, that is way more help than anyone could hope for! I will PM you with the details as soon as I can raise the GL rep and work out the pickup location and timing. Perhaps we can at least determine if this truck a realistic candidate for driving home before I make my trip down there. Again, I don't want to impose on you, and will be very happy to compensate you or your friend for your time and expertise in helping to get my first MV back to the nest. Many thanks! GP

aspann

No compensation needed on my part. I plan to go to Ft. Rucker in a few days, if you can get me the address where the truck is located, I will go by and take a quick look. There is a couple of diesel shops in nearby Enterprise if you need a mechanic.

commandojeff

I was 19 when I bought my 5 ton from Jeff City. Luckily I had a bunch of friends go with me that knew the truck well. Looked it over for any obvious things, fired it up, and I drove it home about 130 miles. If I can do it, you can do it. I don't understand why people think these trucks are such a big deal to drive. I have grown up around MV's so I guess I have a better understanding for them? But honestly, the 939 trucks are easier to drive than you think. Anything my mom can jump in and drive is easy... trust me ;). The biggest thing is getting used to the "presence" of the truck on the road. Once you put yourself in the mindset "hey, I am driving a tractor trailer sized truck", then you pretty much got it. Just be responsible. Check all the lug nuts. Make sure to stop at stop lights and stop signs with PLENTY of room. Every time I drive mine, I test the brakes WAYYY before I need to stop. It is a habit for me after driving the WWII stuff. Better be safe than sorry.

Also make sure that the fuel cutoff isn't shut off. If you have someone check over the truck, they should check that. It wont start if it's shut off.

Good luck!
Jeff

I never heard anyone say these trucks are hard to drive, but they are far from being a civi car. Flying airplanes is easy too, that is if you can get it started and figure out what all the buttons and levers do.
Big trucks are similar to airplanes, in that when things go bad they go really bad. There is nothing better than experience when things do happen, book smarts don't always cut it. An unknown vehicle just adds to the possibility that something could go wrong.
Safety has to come first. Your pride will not serve you well if you injure or kill someone, and my favorite hobby does not need a bad image. A vehicle recovery is not there time to have to figure out how to turn on the wipers. Get it home safely and enjoy learning about your truck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to be safe read your state laws at your dmv website. The issue is normally the weight of the trucks not the use of personal or commercial. This beast weighs over the gvwr that requires a cdl in most places.

Congrads on joining the club. See the other posts for the TM 23 series as that is the latest and greatest. They are not posted on ss yet but other members have linked to the army website or a private download is available.

Merry Christmas as Santa brought you an early present. :)

jw4x4

Not only the gvwr but the fact that it has a FULL air brake system (as opposed to air-over hydraulic) may make it necessary to have a CDL to operate. These regulations vary from state to state. Don't get me wrong- I want everyone to enjoy these behemoth vehicles to the fullest degree, just be safe and legal. These trucks are easy to drive when it comes to pushing the pedals and turning the steering wheel. So easy in fact, that it can lull you into a false sense of security and you get over-confident and let your guard down. that's when the potential for a mishap rears its ugly head.

commandojeff

I never heard anyone say these trucks are hard to drive, but they are far from being a civi car. Flying airplanes is easy too, that is if you can get it started and figure out what all the buttons and levers do.
Big trucks are similar to airplanes, in that when things go bad they go really bad. There is nothing better than experience when things do happen, book smarts don't always cut it. An unknown vehicle just adds to the possibility that something could go wrong.
Safety has to come first. Your pride will not serve you well if you injure or kill someone, and my favorite hobby does not need a bad image. A vehicle recovery is not there time to have to figure out how to turn on the wipers. Get it home safely and enjoy learning about your truck.
I could not agree more. I understand what you are saying. I did have a chance to look over another member's 939 before I picked mine up. So I knew what needed to be done to run the truck and a basic understanding of what to look out for. I think this is one of the most important aspects of recovering a truck. Well put.

The guys here at SS are the best at doing just that. Seems like there is someone everywhere willing to let another friend take a look at their truck to help them out.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched the video of your truck. The engine running sounded good and strong. Everything under the hood looks nice and no obvious parts missing. The fact that it is running means at least the batteries are ok or it can jump with a slave. None of the warning lights were flashing but the fan was not turning at all. It appeared the serpentine belt was on the alt but I could not see it around the other pulleys. Back seat driver diagnosis is the fan clutch or air supply/thermostat sending unit is faulty.

This truck does not have the lock out bolts feature of the earlier nhc 250 so the fan clutch can not be bypassed like the earlier models.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've done a couple of recoveries from Rucker. There is no full time GL guy there......he comes over from some other location. You have to work around his schedule. The guy I delt with was super and I was in and out in a short time.

I'm sorta on the way to Rucker (if you go through the woods) if you have problems in my AO let me know (PM for contact info).

I have an M927 and a tow bar. If worse comes to worse and you break down near me we can get it to my place and work on it.

Good luck on the adventure.

Tornadogt

Congrats on the buy, I was also watching the same auction and noticed the missed description seems you got a great deal on your first truck...... ..... I'm Looking and watching up coming auctions.. maybe i'll get mine soon. :)

....... just looking at the video also, jaunprado stated above that the fan wasn't turning is this not normal?????? Most videos from GL auctions show the fan not turning also, clearly the engine is running you can see the belt and damper spinning??

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

Congrats on the buy, I was also watching the same auction and noticed the missed description seems you got a great deal on your first truck...... ..... I'm Looking and watching up coming auctions.. maybe i'll get mine soon. :)

....... just looking at the video also, jaunprado stated above that the fan wasn't turning is this not normal?????? Most videos from GL auctions show the fan not turning also, clearly the engine is running you can see the belt and damper spinning??
The fan is only engaged when the engine reaches a certain temp.

3dAngus

You need someone to get up there and check the brakes. You need someone to start it and depress the pedal to see if they work.
If not, it is a tow. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

I can say with all honesty that if you add it up with everything going in your favor, you could drive it home and make one heck of a memory . On the other hand it most likely will be a disaster . The reason I say this is that it looks to be a nice truck but, I noticed the head lights were missing . This could mean one or two things,,, some stole them off the yard where it is or the truck was pushed to the side of the military yard and had parts removed and put on other trucks as needed . Some of these trucks have been sitting in the corner for a long long time . So if all goes well you still have to consider your experience with these trucks. The basics are the same as any truck but I drove large trucks for over 25 years and I will tell you it isn't a picnic by any means. It's not what you see but what you can't see in this case . I have a 923A1 and if someone is on my back bumper I would never know it . The turning radius is fair but not good in tight places . Air breaks are something you just have to use to understand . I say truck it home and learn to drive it at your leisure but, this comes from a guy who jumped in one never having driven one and drove it Six hundred miles , Good luck either way and remember to take pictures ..................

jvandal

I too brought way too much stuff on my recovery from Huntsville but I agree you can not be too prepared if you want to avoid the cost of a tow. My recovery from Huntsville to Maryville, TN was 240 miles through the back roads and the truck drove like a dream! Did absolutely nothing beyond airing up the tires to road pressures. I'm not on your way so probably won't be able to help but I can provide moral support and try to answer any question you may have... just pm me!

Vandal

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are not too far away to attend the GA Rally next Oct. Start planning now to avoid conflict with othe mundane occasions such as weddings, anniverseries, ball games, hunting season or NASCAR races. I leave early (maybe on Sunday before the rally) but whenever I start anyone is welcome to convoy with me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks