• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Dear Lord! I just bought a 5 ton from Ft Rucker in AL. Now what?

m816

Looks like ya need a couple headlight bulbs or yer gonna have to restrict yourself to daytime driving. Good luck with your " Bargain"

moretoys

Well, Juanprado has already hooked me up with a couple headlights, and Aspann has very kindly offered to swing by Rucker and give my truck a once-over to see if there are any other obvious issues before I drive down from Nashville. If there are significant problems, I'll try to get a local mechanic on it after Christmas. Though I have logged many miles in my 34' long, 17,300 lb Motor Home, I still don't feel qualified to solo this 5 Ton cross-country. So If we can get it road worthy, I've got a bud with a CDL and 20 years experience in HEAVY Cement Trucks who is going to drive it back while I chase in the Blazer. Right now I'm just waiting to hear back from the GL guy, to set the wheels in motion. (literally)

jedawson1

Any progress with the GL guy at Ft. Rucker? When you get that animal home to Nashville, let me know, I'd like to bring my 5 ton up from Murfreesboro, TN and see your A2, I've got an A1 and am considering picking up an A2 but would like to put my hands on one first.

Also, there is another m923 owner in Smyrna, TN working on a bobber project if your considering that route.

moretoys

Thursday I spoke to Doc, the GL man who covers Ft Rucker. Andy (Aspann) and a mechanic friend are going to drop by this coming Wed and give it a once over. I'm planning to Drive down the afternoon of the 8th and (hopefully) recover the Truck on Wed the 9th. I'd love to see your A1, and I'll be sending up Picts and update from the Recovery, so you'll know when I get it home. RIght now I'm getting rready for the trip, and stocking up on Engine oil, Transmission fluid, Transfer case oil, antifreeze, Fuel and Oil Filters, and I'm bringing a Gladhand/hose for Air-ups. Not yet sure what hoses or additional parts I should bring along, but I've been scrubbing the recovery posts for info. I figure at a minimum Food, water, warm clothes, rain gear, extra batteries and lights, plastic sheeting, reflectors, a big tool kit, Bottle jack, jackstands, duct tape, bailing wire iPad and my Bug-Out bag will all be with me in the truck as well.

jedawson1

You may want to search and or ask around SteelSoldiers for a tire source in Alabama, 14R20 just in case. With your truck having the CTIS I would plan on every tire that is sitting flat to blow on the way home. Your inspector should be able to report on that ahead of time. If its one or two tires you can compensate for it but if its all of them then you've got a potential big problem with your trip being several hundred miles. Bring some chain to chain up one of the rear axels if you do have a flat, you can chain it up and Get to a safe place to change the tire. Also a pulley for the spare tire rack, those things weigh over 350lbs and you'll need a way to get the flat back up into the bed of the truck. Most trucks are missing the spare tire pulley. With a little luck you probably wont need half of your supplies but better to be prepared. Let the adventure begin.

erixun

Congrats on your truck-- I was given this great advice when I picked mine up in California and drove it to Utah- get some"Diesel Kleen" in the silver container, after you pick it up, get some fresh fuel in it and dump this wonder stuff in- I could feel the difference about 30 minutes into my ride. Good luck and be sure to take lots of photo's!

Hooper

After lurking around SS for nearly a year trying to learn all I could, I got serious last week about getting my feet wet. Yesterday I stumbled onto a 1991 m923a2 with 13,000 miles. I say "stumbled onto", because the heading for the auction listing was incorrect: It was listed as a "m931a2 truck, tractor" (Have you guys every seen that sort of huge listing error before? ) So I guess most folks looking for a cargo truck had missed this auction and only 2 people were bidding on it with 15 min left to go. It was going so cheap that I quickly threw a bid at it and …. whoops! 10 minutes later I owned a truck!

The GL Ad Said: Starts and Drives, and apparently Ft Rucker allows Drive Outs with insurance and Temp tags. So now I'm debating the options of A) trying to drive it straight back to Nashville from Osark, AL, (a big scary 375 mile adventure) or B) have it trucked all the way up, ($$$) or C) Trying to find/arrange a short tow from Ft Rucker to a place nearby where it can be checked out by someone more experienced than me.
I know what I don't know, and I don't know big diesels and Air brakes.

So here's the link to the m923a2 (hopefully not a 931a2) I just bought:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5894601

I imagine most everyone on this forum is wiser and more experienced than me on this subject, so I would truly appreciate any opinions or suggestions on how best to get this beautiful beast home to Music City.
Many thanks!
MoreToys (Greg Page)

I drove my first truck 450 miles. Throw cation to the wind and go for it. Bring some tools a friend with a chase car and a credit card. Stdy as much as possible and you willl be fine.

kdaniels

There are several of us down this way that can lend a hand....PM sent with my cell #. Once you get rolling there isn't much that goes bad as long as fluids are good and no leaks from hoses. Won't bore you with the basics but someone that can help in the area you are in means ALOT !! Wreckerman helped me @ RedStone and we can do the same for you down here. Ft Rucker is fairly easy to get on and i know the post area well being i'm a g'ment contractor there. Oh and by the way had i not already got a truck i woud of gone after one of those HARD !!! LOL..

moretoys

"There are several of us down this way that can lend a hand..."

Thanks So much for the info and the offer of a safety net. Are there any specific hoses you would try to have on hand for a recovery, and if so, would they be available locally or within a 5 day window on the internet?

moretoys

"With your truck having the CTIS I would plan on every tire that is sitting flat to blow on the way home."

Is this because of the nature of the tire sidewalls and weight of the Truck, or something specific to the CTIS system? I can disengage the CTIS System for the trip home if it's a source of the problem.

aspann

I wouldn't worry so much about the CTIS. I believe you said it was driven by Doc and it ran, so the tires are ok. By the way, I just tried to contact Doc and I got a message but it wouldn't let me leave a message. I called Eric and got the answering machine and told him I tried to contact Doc and left my number at both places. I wouldn't worry about the hoses, if we need them, we can get them locally.

jw4x4

"With your truck having the CTIS I would plan on every tire that is sitting flat to blow on the way home."

Is this because of the nature of the tire sidewalls and weight of the Truck, or something specific to the CTIS system? I can disengage the CTIS System for the trip home if it's a source of the problem.
The problem with CTIS is that when the vehicle sits for a long period of time, the system is notorius for tires leaking down and sitting flat, thus substantially weakening the side wall of the flat tire. Disengaging the CTIS will not revive a damaged (weak) sidewall. Just be aware and prepared for this.

aspann

Went by this morning and checked out your new toy. As you know, it needs two headlights. It fired right up and and the air pumped up good. All the other lights work. The left rear-rear tire needs air. The cits doesn't seem to work, I understand most don't. I understand you are bringing two headlights and an airhose. I think you will be satisfied. I mailed you some pictures. See you next Wed.
Andy

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: I remember those days also. Making sure I had enough fluids, hoses, belts, etc to drive some 800 miles home.

moretoys

Unfortunately my Wingman (the guy who is actually competent to drive this truck 375 miles home) had to reschedule a concrete job, and so we are bumped back a week on the recovery. New plan is to head south from Nashvegas on the 15th, and drive back Wed the 16th....

jedawson1

I should be available the 15th and 16th, there is a lot of rain in the forecast this week if you run into scheduling problems with your wingman send me a PM. I've got a CDL and don't mind a little adventure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks