• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Krap!

jimm1009

I just noticed that something is missing.
A lot of trucks have a Orange colored cylinder mounted on the L/H Upper area of the firewall.
Is this part of the either start system?
Mine does not have the electric start aid for sure, the worm clamp for this Orange device is there but the cylinder(?) is missing. See picture with white pencil line drawn in.
How will this affect my driving my truck away in southern Mississippi in a couple of days?
Is there something that I need to do to get this engine started with regards to this device being missing?
I have looked through some of the TMs but have not found a reference for this yet.
If all I have to do is possibly cap a line or stow a electrical harness that is not a problem but now I' worried. Like I titled the post, Oh Krap! I hate it when I find something like this that I don't have knowledge on.
Jim :shock: :?: :!:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that would be the ether bottle. Mine has the system, but is missing the tank as well. Doesn't affect operation in warm weather.

jimm1009

It seems like there would be a line to cap that feeds the cylinder to prevent suction of un-filtered air. I don't understand the system but the bottle feeds the intake or one or more cylinders to acutally inject the either.
Is this system worti keeping for cold weather or is the electric pre-heat a better system?

LanceRobson

You can probably get ether bottles at any place that carries truck parts and most tractor dealers, even in Louisiana.

I run our dueces once or twice a month during the winter. Last winter rarely got far below zero and I don't think I needed the flame heaters at all.

The turbos need a little more cranking than the NA truck but if the batteries are well charged they've always started easily. All that said I've thought about adding ether aids. Might try one this year.

Get some kind of cap or zippie bag on it to keep the dirt out. They won't suck air. Without the bottle screwed down the valve is spring loaded closed.

Good luck

cleb

Like others have mentioned, there should be a black plastic cap on a chain to plug up the connector when a bottle isn't in place. I think both the flame heater and ether system are wired thru a temp sender in the intake. I know the ether start system on my 1st M35 has it, and I thought the 2nd M35 with the flame heater had it as well, but I would have to go pop the hood to check. I thought the sender just made sure it wasn't at op temp, but maybe it only works if <20degF? The ether system in mine looked relatively new, but the wiring was unplugged, probably to prevent some sort of bad accidental "Boom".

FreightTrain

Banned
I'll get a close up shot of my setup later today.I need to fix a blown out airhorn line(Note to self,The white plastic crap at Lowes SUCKS for air line even temporary redneck get it to work NOW fix.)