• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh no, RUST!

stuinnh

I have rust starting in the usual places on my 1008. It's rusting at the cab corners (what a surprise), and the left rear wheel well edges (Has progressed to metal crumbling along edge). First, how do I stop it? What do I do and how do I do it? I want to stop it before it spreads more. Using body filler did not stop rust.
Help!

Midnight Rider

You can never stop rust, just slow it down unless off course you cut the cancer infected area out and replace it with new metal.
+1

I have heard of some stuff that you can put on rusted areas that is supposed to cure it so to speak.

The best route is just to cut it out and replace with new metal.

I think I have seen the areas you mentioned for sale in LMC before. JC Whitney might have those pieces too.

bkwudzhom

Or you can find a junker in the junk yard and cut out your own patches. Thats my plan for my cab corners.

niferous

I too would advise either cutting it out or just replacing the body part if that's an option. For your cab of course that isn't. To deal with the rust at least immediately get some stuff called Enrust to treat the area for now. Also it's better to have the rust removed if when working on it. The reason being is that if you use a torch that rust can cause problems when cutting into the metal. Also it cuts down the dust if you use a grinder or other metal cutting tool. I have sold the stuff to offshore rigs and when I was down in the field (I work in oilfield supply) the offshore rigs would order it by the drum when they went to repaint their rigs. Works pretty good at converting the rust so you can paint it. In your case this would help until you are ready to chop out the old and put in new sheet metal.

drewmech

www.[B]73[/B]-87chevytrucks.com/ or www.[B]classicindustries[/B].com/ are where I get all my patch panels from. You have to cut out the cancer to get rid of it. if you fill it and paint over it it'll just keep rotting. Rust converters are great for surface and pitting corrosion but when it progresses to exfoliation the only option is replacement. To keep things from rusting out the best product I've found is POR-15 which is only slightly cheaper then just getting everything Line Xed (www.[B]linex[/B].com/) or rhino lined (rhinolinings.com).

vtdeucedriver

Try osfo if you don't want to cut, buy it at the body shop supply, I've used before and it worked pretty good.
Osfo is good for when rust is starting, its a chemical cleaning agent and I highly recommend it. But for stu, if you got the cancer and you tried with body filler, you got more then what OSFO is made to do, its time for some metal work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks