• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio head gasket replacement party!!

hdexpert

So Mr. Murphy has taken up residence at my house. I've had the HH off and on 6-8 times, Gimp and I replaced the IP and today I'm pretty sure the head gasket by the firewall blew. I took the truck around the block and quickly found out the HH was one tooth off. Lots of pinging under load and no power so I quickly headed back to the house. Tried to get up a steep hill, the truck wouldn't do it and died. So I had to coast 200 feet backwards, restart and try a different route. Made it to the top of that hill (it's a little lees steep) and it died again. It was on the side of the road, out of everyones way so I popped the hood and saw antifreeze on the firewall directly behind the rear head, OH CRAP!!! Pulled the dipstick, no coolant on it, good. Looked at the temp gauge, 140. All this happened in less than a mile so I'm not too worried about a warped head.
So, I'll do some more poking around tomorrow to see if it's the gasket or a freeze plug. If it's the gasket I already have a place in Lancaster that is heated to do the job. This will more than likely happen one weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas. All members who want to learn, help, stand around, pass out beveredges or just have fun are encouraged to attend. I'll post the date soon so people can do some planning.
I do need one thing, the special tool to remove the head bolts. That or let me know where to get one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to fabricate that tool. The surplus ones have a rep for breaking. Got head gaskets? Can't beat the price M35Tom has on them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think I have access to one. DeathrowDave recently did his head gaskets and offered it to me when I do mine. When is the wrench fest?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if I'm off work I might try to stop over and drink a beer with ya'll...oops, I mean turn a wrench with ya'll. ;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could become an annual event!

The Steel Soldiers Mid-Ohio Mid-Winter Wrenching Rally

Last edited:

hdexpert

Fired the deuce up today, ran it for half an hour in my driveway up to 160, no leak. I don't want to take it out on the road, not sure it will make it home. Will it develope enough pressure in the coolant system to make the head gasket leak if that's the issue?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 160 your Tstat did not open yet.

I'd try covering the radiator with cardboard and running.

There is a feezeplug on the backside of the rear head, use a mirror and look closely at it for rust or a crack.

Also, remove your radiator cap and blow through the overflow tube to be sure it is not plugged.

DieselBob

What PSI should the coolant system operate at?
From TM 9-23620-361-20

COOLING SYSTEM
Radiatar Filler Cap Pressure. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.5 to 8 psi
Thermostat:
Starts to Open . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180°F
Fully Open . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 200°F
Radiator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vertical Flow Type

Hope it helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks