• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio Member thinking about buying a M35A2

AMBARMY

Hey guys I am new to this MV arena and figured I would start my first post. I live in Columbus Ohio (Polaris\Westerville area) and I am thinking about buying a deuce. I loved riding around in the old deuce during basic and even remember a drill Sargent saying "Man I wish I owned a one of these". I have looked at the WIKI link on the site and have already downloaded all the manuals. My question is pretty simple, are there any known issues with the Deuces I should be aware of, any model better than the other? I have contacted a shop out in PA about one of theirs that they have posted for sale and I am talking to another guy out in CA. I like the thought of a manual but if the M353A is better built and stronger I would consider it. I know I am asking for opinions and everyone has one but it will help me get a feel for what I should buy. I plan on driving this on the weekends for fun and would take it off road every now and then.

Any of you guys near the Delaware\Westerville\Polaris area?

Thanks for any help or ideas, great site by the way!

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Well first off welcome, sounds like you off to a pretty good start. You found the WIKI and the manuals.

Plenty of members in your area.

As for which is better, just keep searching it has been covered many times.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I work for a dealer once in a while. He is located in London Ohio. Many have bought from him, he sells deuces and 5tons. He has A2s, A3s, and 800 series 5tons. Might save you on shipping. Personally, I like the A2s.

Roger's military surplus 937.231.4592

cjcottrill

Welcome, I'm about an hour south of you. My grandson and I love our A2. 4 parades in Oct, two scheduled for Nov. , regular trips to McD's and just to ride around almost every week end. Good luck in your search.

hdexpert

First off, welcome to the site!! I guess my first question would be what's your budget? This will help determine A2 or A3. The A3's are usually double or triple the price of an A2. After that, depends on the features you're looking for. A3 is more modern, has power steering and auto trans, costs more to maintain. A2 is basic, easy to work on, manual trans, parts are affordable and easy to find.
I live in Worthington and I keep my deuce at the house. The city tried to get me to move it but they quickly found out that none of their ordinances pertained to my deuce. Before you buy, make sure you check out all city rules and regs. If that's not an issue, give Roger a call, PM me or Gimp and we'll help you pick out a good one!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the thought of a manual but if the M353A is better built and stronger I would consider it.

The very best advice I can give you is to give yourself 2-4 weeks (depending upon how fast a reader you are) and start on the oldest page of the deuce forum and start reading the threads.

Once you have made it to the most recent page of threads you'll practically be an expert.

I'd also recommend the "intro to deuces" article I have attached.

Regarding the A2 vs. A3 issue, do a search for a recent thread, it's several pages of discussion regarding the pros and cons of each model.

Attachments

AMBARMY

Thanks for getting back to me so fast guys.

Hdexpert your pretty close by, anyway I could buy you a beer and pay you and the deuce a visit?

Clinto, Thanks for the DOC. I am looking for any and all advice I can get! However I dont have the time to read the ENTIRE forum lol. So again thank for posting the intro article.

Gimpyrobb, thanks for the heads up of the dealer near me. I will have to pay him a visit.

Cjcottrill, I will have to try come see it some time. I am looking forward to doing the same with mine.

Thanks for the all the posts.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about an hour north of ya. I bought a good truck from Roger about 6 years ago.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The M35A3 is more modern with a newer Caterpillar 3116 engine and the Allison automatic transmission. It has the super singles and air assisted steering and better braking. It also has electric wipers and the vehicle are generally in better shape than the A2s. However, the 3116 is not simple to work on and requires several expensive special tools.

However, the A2s are dirt simple, will run on darn near anything flammable, parts are plentiful, and are pretty darned cheap. Heck, if the battery is totally dead, you can still push start the truck. That is the reason you NEVER leave the truck parked with the transmission in gear and the parking brake off. There have been more than one deuces started when they were accidentally bumped while in gear.

skytroop232

Welcome to the club, be careful it is very addicting...
I am just up the road from you in Galena, you are welcome to come up and have a beer and play with the deuce, .
I do need the tires rotated !! LOL

TACTICAL6

Welcome to SS!!
I live in newark about a half an hour away.
I have a couple a2's and they are great trucks. They are great for your first mv.

jime

Ambarmy, I'm just up the road from you in Centerburg. I bought my '72 A2 from GL. A lot cheaper than the dealers, but there's a little more risk involved. Mine had no issues. Great advise from the guys so far. Stop up sometime, we'll go for a ride! Jim

1stSarge

Welcome AMBARMY and cantshootstriaght. You guys are right in the middle of the MV hotspot of the Midwest. The best of friends, and parts/truck availability. Lots of guys on here would LOVE to live as close to Lockbourne or DCSC as you.

And as for people, as you have found out, the guys on here love helping. There are many more that probably have not seen your thread. Hook up with hd, he is a great friend of mine, and when you guys need help let me know.

If I had to pay for the kind of help I have received from guys on here, I would be broke.

PM me a phone number and I can point you in some general directions.

About 45 minutes north east of you off 62.

--John

hdexpert

Welcome AMBARMY and cantshootstriaght. You guys are right in the middle of the MV hotspot of the Midwest. The best of friends, and parts/truck availability. Lots of guys on here would LOVE to live as close to Lockbourne or DCSC as you.

And as for people, as you have found out, the guys on here love helping. There are many more that probably have not seen your thread. Hook up with hd, he is a great friend of mine, and when you guys need help let me know.

If I had to pay for the kind of help I have received from guys on here, I would be broke.

PM me a phone number and I can point you in some general directions.

About 45 minutes north east of you off 62.

--John
Good advice from he who whispers to bats!!:smile::smile::smile:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

I can vouch for hdexpert, gimpyrobb, stretch, kip man and a few others who will come to mind. I have three trucks now and got one of them from kip man.

Lots of guys around you and in the state. You couldn't go wrong getting a truck from Roger either.

You can PM me if you are coming to this area. If you buy from WPAFB we can help you get the truck and store it here as well.

Sw

JeffAS

Just got on last week

I live about an hour south of Columbus and I just picked up a M35A2 last week from a guy, his name is Earl his number is 937-750-8980 he has 7 lift, I went riding around today had lots of fun