• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio Registration

jime

Ok, I know this has been covered to some extent, but I'm hard headed. I made a recon run to the title agency and BMV to make sure my ducks will be in a row when I register the duece. Title agency lady was very nice and informative. BMV lady must have fallen off her broom on the way to work that day. Anyway, BMV lady said my only registration options were commercial and farm, due to the weight. (let me insert here that I know historical is an option too, but I'm gonna use this thing and don't want to bend the law too much)

Has anyone registered thier MV as farm in Ohio? Hows it work? Restrictions?

Thanks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe one of the first things is that you have to have a farm. We have one but don't farm it yet. I just went ahead and put historical plates on one of mine. I only drive it for events anyway. :)

crazyplowboy

As long as you have the acreage (at least 10) and agricultural buildings (barns) you have a farm by law.
That is all I know about it. jpcj-7 has his trucks registered as farm vehicles and I'm sure he can fill you in on the rest.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have 18 and I just built the 48x80 ag building. :)

Ag buildings don't even need a bldg permit here. That saved a bunch of money.

I'd still want to register at least one with historical plates because we can just paint the license plate number on the trucks instead of putting a tag on. That's about the only good thing I can think of when it comes to MVs and Ohio.

monkeythumbs

I just sold a M35A2C that I had registered as a "Farm Truck" and I live in town. Maybe it just depends on the person working the counter at the BMV because I know of at least one other person that has farm tags and I don't think he has any acerage either. No restrictions as far as I know, I figured if I was ever questioned about it being a Farm Truck by a LEO, I'd let him cite me into court and bring along a photo of the truck with a few bales of hay in it. The tags were expensive roughly $240 every 6 months, but I didn't want to be limited on when or how much I was allowed to drive, plus the 6 month registration worked to my advantage when the truck sold. Because the tags were only valid for like 6 more days, so I got my use out of them and the new owner didn't have to worry about running around with no tags.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did "historical comercial". There is no milage written in the laws so I can drive as much as I want and the bmv asked what the most I would carry would be. So I guess I have weight rated tags and NO RESTRICTION on how far I travel. I only use my trucks for hobby related stuff though, so I my situation may be different than yours.

B3.3T

I've not heard of anyone having a problem with historic tags in Ohio. I drive as much as I want. Never a problem, and as mentioned, no tags need to be mounted.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jime said:
Ok, I know this has been covered to some extent, but I'm hard headed. I made a recon run to the title agency and BMV to make sure my ducks will be in a row when I register the duece. Title agency lady was very nice and informative. BMV lady must have fallen off her broom on the way to work that day. Anyway, BMV lady said my only registration options were commercial and farm, due to the weight. (let me insert here that I know historical is an option too, but I'm gonna use this thing and don't want to bend the law too much)

Has anyone registered thier MV as farm in Ohio? Hows it work? Restrictions?
I just called the BMV about mine this morning. Farm plates are priced by the empty curb weight of the truck, they will give you a weigh slip that needs to be filled out when the truck is weighed on a certified scale. Specs on the deuce state a little over 13000 lbs curb, that equates to about 240 a year in Guernsey county for farm tags. Restrictions are that you must use it at least 75% of the time for farm related use and technically can't be driven more than 150 mile radius from the farm.

Commercial plates are priced on the GVW of the truck. Specs out at a little less than 19000 lbs GVW. That equates to about $120-$140 a year for normal commercial plates. NO MILAGE RESTRICTIONS with commercial plates. Under 25000 lbs GVW so no need for CDL.

I got a quote today from a local agent from Grenelle Mutual Insurance, out of Iowa. $61.70 every 6 months for liability only commercial insurance, farm rated. No milage restrictions, no garage provision, no limit on farm use only. 100k/300k/50k liability limits and 5k medical for 61.70 a half is way less than I pay for the exact same coverage on my 3/4 ton Ram!!!!

jime

Looks like the farm reg is NOT the way to go. Leaning more toward comm. The 'historical-comm' sounds like it might work. I'd never heard of that one before. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the input!

grounded

Banned
I run historic and put MILES on my truck and work the heck out of them. Heck i keep mine in the glove box and never been questioned or even stopped usually get a wave ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks