• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio to Houston

oilcan

Well it looks like I've completely lost my marbles. Sometime in the near future I'll be driving kwai's deuce fuel tanker from Zanesville to Houston. It's a really nice truck, and once I go through and do some pm's I'll be pretty confident. It did really well on the trip from Wright Pat to the coal mine during that 3+ hour drive.

I don't exactly have a schedule yet, but mapquest shows me going through Cinci, Louisville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Memphis, and Texarkana. I sure wouldn't mind having some emergency contact numbers along the route in case things go as they usually do.

It looks like I'll be covering a little more than 1200 miles, and it'll take just over 19 hours. (Closer to 30 hours in a deuce :wink:)

Let's see if I can find a pic of the tanker...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have my number? I'm not anywhere along the path but I have a few parts and I can get to UPS. Are you going to have any spare parts behind you (M275A2)? Good luck on this road trip. I'd love to have a part time job (hobby) driving folks deuces all over the country.

oilcan

It's very unlikely I'll be flat towing the little tractor that distance. In fact, the tires on the 275 are the main reason it hasn't been driven down there itself. And depending on how the final plan works out, there could be a mini convoy with both trucks making the run.

If I could afford to pick up a trailer right now, I'd drag 'em both with the 818 that I drove to the GA rally. That way I could haul all kinds of neat stuff home. As it stands, I'll be flying back. :cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, if they were both at my house, I'd be swappin tires and loading the tanker on my piggyback device then headed to TX. Piggybacks work great!

Attachments

oilcan

I wonder how well that piggyback contraption would work on a 5 ton tractor. I've been thinking about building one since I first saw those pics.

The 2 1/2 ton tractor will be going to it's loving home. He promised to paint it and take good care of it. (I already tried to talk him out of it)

I wonder if I still have a pic of that thing on the machine. Yup, but not a very good one. It's the blue oe in the middle, for those that don't know.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunno! The height will effect it a little bit. If you want, I'll bring it to the ga rally and you can try it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny, get him some dimentions and he can build 2. Then load up the 275 and add the tanker behind that. Problem solved. Pick up a trailer in Tx and haul said cool things home!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good luck on your trip .im way to far south to be of help but ill say a prayer for you anyway. have a blast and of course take a camera or you know they will all be upset with the no pic horse riding on your back. :roll:

oilcan

I appreciate it, Tim. I'll need all the help I can get!

How often do you and Steve get together? I might be in the market for some bits off your parts 818 if the logistics can be worked out.

Green_gator

Oilcan,
I just did a drive of about the same length from San Antonio to Tampa, FL. It took me 28 hours and we drove straight through with only stops for fuel, and restrooms. I would think something like 22 - 25 hours of driving not including stops depending upon how hard you push the deuce. At least you can bring all the fuel you will need or grab as much as you want if you find it cheap.:-D

Kenny,
You and me both, would be happy to spend my days just moving assorted MVs around the country.

oilcan

Ah, that's good to know. Any idea what your total fuel consumption was? Just looking for a real-world estimate as opposed to a number in the tm's.

Green_gator

I averaged about 10 MPG for the trip but it was all flat land, no cargo cover and I did not push the speed very hard. Not sure if the tanker is a bit heavier like an M109 as my shop van does not do as well as the M35.

oilcan

My sources show the M49A2C to weigh 15,048#, and the tank body doesn't stick up in the wind like a 109 does.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks