• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Additives For Turbos?

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just finished buying everything I need to change the oil on my new (to me) deuce except for one thing. There have been references on this site about adding Slick 50 Turbo formula. I couldn't find Slick 50 Turbo formula at the local parts store. When I got home and googled it, I found out that it doesn't even exist. Should I just add regular Slick 50 to the oil, or is there a good oil additive that would help keep the turbo running cooler and better lubricated?

What do you use, if anything?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know some guys swear by them, but regular oil works just fine. Let your motor idle for a bit after running it and you'll be fine.

wdbtchr

For what it's worth, I substitute a gallon of Lucas oil stabilizer to my oil changes. One of the mechanical engineers that's responsible for the steam turbines at work said it was similar to the additives in steam turbine oil that has a very long cling time. Supposed to protect the bearings from loss of oil pressure during shutdowns as the turbine winds down and the oil pressure drops. I figure it can't hurt.2cents

wsucougarx

I use Rotella-T 15/40 oil. When I got my first deuce I wanted to buy all the additives and what not for my newly acquired deuce b/c I was in my "honeymoon" phase of owning a MV. Now I just use the standard 15/40 oil:wink: But hey, use whatever your comfortable with.

rivired

Ya i agree with above..everybody loves to pamper there new toy ..I remember putting full synthetic oil in my POS first jeep cherokee that already had 240K on the clock. lol

But to each his own..if it makes u happy then go for it..I dont think these motors were designed to need such a thing but again it couldnt hurt it either!

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my truck. I'm going to pick up some Slick 50 Synthetic Engine Treatment tonight. It is cheaper at the local parts store and I figure it can't hurt.

Although I may buy Mavel's Mystery Oil instead. I've heard good things about it.

I want to go easy on my truck for the first few thousand miles because according to the gauges, my truck has 7500 miles and 276 hours on the meter since it was overhauled in 1991. It wasn't used a lot in the last 18 years and I want to break it in to highway driving as gently as possible.

mtk

If you're really concerned, fill your truck with Delvac 1 5w40 synthetic oil. Or just run Shell Rotella T 15w40 or Chevron Delo 15w40 (those two account for roughly 75% of the HD oil market) and let the truck idle for a few minutes before you shut it down. An exhaust pyrometer, mounted pre-turbocharger, is also a wise investment. Wait until your EGT's are below 300F and you're good to go.

Oil additives are crap. The folks formulating the oil in the first place know a whole lot more about blending additives together to make a working product than you do mixing it in your driveway.

I've worked in the oil testing industry for a decade and a half and that is my take on the subject.

Last edited:

Jake0147

In July, 1996, the FTC issued a complaint against four now-defunct Quaker State subsidiaries, which have been succeeded in interest by the three subsidiaries named in the settlement. The FTC's 1996 complaint charged that ads for Slick 50 claiming improved engine performance and reduced engine wear were deceptive.
QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50

That was thirteen years ago. They have indeed "updated" the product a bit. They've also "updated" what they say about it. Yet they still remain the same people with the same mission. If you read what they have to say carefully, you'll see that they really say (claim) absolutely nothing... If it did something good, they would say so. Legally to maintain every claim they make about the product, all they have to do is to not actually cause the engne to fail in a way that is traceable to the additive. Not a tough hoop to jump through.
It's just another flashy bottle containing the same old couple of magic potions that have been around forever.

Good name brand oil works great.

thehaas

royal purple 15 40 with j tonkas filter adapters . oil pressure quicker turns over faster even better in winter. higher reving cars acura or honda use better oil even feels slicker on hands washing off

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only use regular plain oil. Works great!!
Oil additives...snake oil IMHO. Seen lots of engines apart with regular oil and additives. No difference inside. Oil manufacturers don't spend millions on R&D on their products for nuthin'
2cents

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I changed the oil for the first time in my deuce. It was a learning experience when it came to positioning the Baldwin filters properly. (May go for screw-on style in the future) I added 2 quarts of Marvel's Mystery Oil with the SAE 30 Rotella oil. I swear the truck runs quieter now.

ironhorsethegeneral

Some additives are not good for oil. In some case it can cause more problems. If you want to lube the turbo and the rest of the engine consider synthetic oil. It works in all temps and does not break down like regular petroleum oil does. Just my 2 cents worth. We run synthetics in all our vehicles.

JDToumanian

Slick 50 may be fine for clunky old v-8s, but it's bad news for any vehicle with a mechanical injection pump - including our deuces. Slick 50 is basically just a carrier oil with tiny Teflon particles suspended in it. They claim it reduces engine wear because the Teflon bonds with the metal and reduces friction. This is true, the Teflon coats metal engine parts like a frying pan..... But, in coating the metal, it changes the fine tolerances in the injection pump and ruins it..... The Bosch injection pump in my 1966 Mercedes 250SE Coupe was ruined within a few hours of adding Slick 50 back when it first came out (~1993?).... After spending over $1200 to change the oil, flush out the engine and replace the pump, my car ran good again.

I can't believe they still make that crap.

Jon

wdbtchr

That's easy, there's a buck to make. Anybody that has seen their infomercial and doesn't see the snake oil advertizement in it bought a line. Has anyone ever seen a situation like shown in the ad?

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marvel's is good stuff. I've used it in cars in the past. I have a 1984 with loose main bearings that quiet down by using the stuff. I know the motor is on its way out, but at least it is quiet. GM did not make a good 4.1 liter V8 in the early 80's.

It says on the bottle it is safe to use in diesels up to 2007, so I think it's okay. Plus I only added half the suggested amount.

So where can I get a tornado air intake and a magnetic fuel line optimizer? I hear those really improve fuel economy. ;-)

scooter01922

I like the mystery oil as well, i add some to anything with an engine when i change the oil. Seen it work some real miracles as a penetrant as well. I think the 2007 stipulation is an emissions thing, when added to the fuel it prob dosen't pass the new emissions standards. Sort of like the for offroad use only clause you find on stuff, just covering thier asses. Have yet to have anything have engine issues yet, may just be the regular oil but i don't feel like finding out for the price of some MMO. On a side note, if you add the reccomended amount to your fuel tank and go for a long drive ( several hours) your fuel milage will be significantly improved for the next month or so. Tested that on several gas engines in several things and all show a nice improvement over both previous MPG and MPG without the MMO added for the trip. Dunno why it works or how it does it but it does seem to work. My 2cents