• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil all over motor, where should I start looking?

Dhallftworth

When my '70 deuce was being delivered to my house, it over heated and blew water and oil all over the engine compartment and ground. I checked the oil and it shows no sign of water, just significantly low. I am planning an oil change and fuel filter maintenance on the truck, but would like to have an idea of where the oil is coming from first. It appears to me, an untrained eye, that it possibly blew out of the engine fill cap then hit the fan and coated everything.
The truck has not lost any power, and has started fine. Today I tried to start it and it doesn't want any part of it. Here are a few pictures that I took after repairing the lighting harness:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
coolent heater is what the canister is, who brought the truck to you, overheating like that calls for a shut down, NOT keep on going, doee/did the temp. gauge work.

Dhallftworth

He made it about a third of the way, 15 miles, before he shut it down and we connected it to the other deuce to bring in. There's no knocking or weird noises coming from the truck.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if wrong do they have any kind of crank case ventilation that could be stopped up.also if truck is not cranking be careful that you are not piston locked with either water or oil.

Dhallftworth

Correct me if wrong do they have any kind of crank case ventilation that could be stopped up.also if truck is not cranking be careful that you are not piston locked with either water or oil.
I'm not sure about the vent. The truck spins over fine, and starts for about 2 seconds then dies. It may be the fuel, I'm not sure when or if this truck has had any maintenance done to it, after it left the military.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start fresh, fill all fluids and start it up and monitor the temp. Check for cracked oil feed line or head gasket. You might have two separate issues. Let us know what you find.
JC

Dhallftworth

Start fresh, fill all fluids and start it up and monitor the temp. Check for cracked oil feed line or head gasket. You might have two separate issues. Let us know what you find.
JC
I'm going to try and get to that tomorrow. It's not supposed to get cold here, so I'm going to fill the radiator with plain water, rather than waste antifreeze.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree start fresh clean it up change fuel filters get it primed back up and start her up have soldier B with you to shut truck down quickly as you look her over while running.

welldigger

I'm going to try and get to that tomorrow. It's not supposed to get cold here, so I'm going to fill the radiator with plain water, rather than waste antifreeze.
Don't run it too long with just water. Cavitation bubbles can form around the cylinder sleeves and your engine can get much hotter than your temp guage says. Also don't use regular automotive anti freeze.

welldigger

Anything formulated for diesel engines. Standard auto antifreeze does not contian the additives necessary to prevent cavitation inside wet sleeve diesels.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't run it too long with just water. Cavitation bubbles can form around the cylinder sleeves and your engine can get much hotter than your temp guage says. Also don't use regular automotive anti freeze.

Pretty sure Deuce multifuel engines are not wet sleeve engines. . . . .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Whenever I have an engine like that, where it's too messy to positively identify the source, I take some undiluted degreaser, put it in a pesticide sprayer and soak everything. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and hit it with the pressure washer. Once you've done this, make sure all the fluids are topped up and start it up. This is the right way to identify oil/lube leaks as well.

welldigger

Pretty sure Deuce multifuel engines are not wet sleeve engines. . . . .
You could be right. I know the engine has replaceable liners but I'm unsure if coolant comes in contact with them. Either way, proper coolant needs to be used.

Dhallftworth

Whenever I have an engine like that, where it's too messy to positively identify the source, I take some undiluted degreaser, put it in a pesticide sprayer and soak everything. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and hit it with the pressure washer. Once you've done this, make sure all the fluids are topped up and start it up. This is the right way to identify oil/lube leaks as well.
I'm planning on a short day tomorrow. I've gotta go out to Abilene and work for a few hours, so I'm going to pick up a couple bottles of the purple degreaser from Sam's Club on the way back in. I bought 6 gallons of regular prestone 100% antifreeze, is it going to work, or should I take it back?

Woodsplinter

The antifreeze must be specifically formulated for Diesel engines. Don't use antifreeze made for gasoline cars and trucks- it doesn't contain the additives necessary for Diesel engines. I bought mine at NAPA but don't remember the name.