• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Analysis whats good and whats bad?

PowerstrokeNC

I haven't done a lot of oil analysis in the past, but I do know enough to be dangerous :)

For example, when certain metals have a high PPM that indicates excessive wear on components that have that materials particular composition.

What I have forgotten is which ones to look at and what components they affect. (Some are obvious and others I could figure out/guess but would rather not) Also a lot of times, terminology is different... For example, since I grew up in South Africa, when I was a teenager working on engines with my father we would refer to the main bearings on a crank as 'white metal' bearings which is a euphamism for a bearing of mixed composition (copper and tin) if I remember correctly. Not sure if that term is used in the USA.

Anyhow, you get the idea so when looking at a oil report is there a little cheat sheet as to what you should look for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

61sleepercab

Normally the oil sample results will note excessive amounts as a red flag. Here is some I look for:
BEARINGS............ lead, tin , copper( insert bearing, main,rods,cam shaft)
BRASS BUSHINGS...... copper,zinc, tin
TIMING GEARS ETC....... aluminum
METAL TO METAL CONTACT...... iron
BAD TOP END CYLINDER/RINGS/FUEL SYSTEM ...... carbon,soot, acids, fuel in oil
OIL VISCOSITY......... oil additive break down
DIRT,SAND....... carbon ,silica
Hope this helps Mark

Al Harvey

I use Blackstone Labs and they send you a detailed report with oil contents just like 61sleepercab mentioned, but they also give you a good down to earth explanation of what they see and believe the samples say. They will compare it to normal levels in other similar engines and also use your samples to build a history on your vehicle so they can spot a trend or if a particular area suddenly increases to warn you of possible issues. I've been really impressed with them and they seem really down to earth. Just read their FAQ, it will make you laugh. Now I'm realizing that it's time for me to get some more samples done.

brasco

I agree... I use Blackstone labs for my Cessna. They keep track of your previous samples and will tell you if something is abnormal or needs to be watched. They actually called me when my last sample showed increased signs of metal and told me to look for a ring problem. This was was very timely since I was getting ready to fly accoss the Rocky Mountains in a week. I took the plane to my mechanic and, sure enough, cylinder #4 had issues and we replaced it before my trip.

You can call Blackstone and discuss your lab results with them too so you don't have be be an expert yourself.