• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Analysis?

Abbylind

Just checking to see if any members have used oil analysis on their CUCV.
For those unfamiliar with oil analysis it is used in aircraft engines/turbines to determine if the engine is failing (iron, metal deposits) A sample of the oil is sent to lab for analysis on a routine schedule. The follow up report will indicate if the engine is wearing normally or experiencing problems.

Your thoughts?

TIA

Matt65

I have never completed a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) on my CUCV. Even though it was possibly done while in service. My truck does not have the oil sampling valve seen in the TMs, and on some of the CUCVs. A lot of people will use the UOA to justifiably extend their oil changes and save money on oil etc.

I did have a UOA completed on my VW TDi a few times just before the powertrain warranty expired. Cam wear has been known to occur prematurly in the 1.9L BRM TDi. I have always used Blackstone. I think the UOA are a good thing, but I am not one who feels they are needed every oil change. I think every 30-40k miles on my TDi is sufficent for tracking and early indication of future problems. It being more expensive to repair, and my main mode of transportation driven much more justifies it's UOA over my truck.

Last edited:

combatmech

I've not taken a sample from mine either. I have the sample valve...I just dont do it. When I do change my oil, I check the mag plug and cut open the fliter to see whats going on. I have not found anything that would get me to consider a sample. As my milage climbs, I might consider it when and if she goes above 100k miles. 38,000 miles to go....[thumbzup]

danoscooter

I bought a rebuilt 6.5 off of GL a while back and it included the oil analysis after it was rebuilt. It was kind of interesting but I don't think it is really necessary for the older diesels. I would think they would be more of use for the modern day cummins and duramaxs that cost half of a mortgage! Then again piece of mind might be worth the test.

Daniel

yamabro

On the flight line we would pull a J.O.A.P. sample and send it off periodically for our inspections. I can see the reasoning for such an inspection because jet engine failure equals, DEATH or loss of a VERY expensive turbine engine. I have contemplated doing this same inspection for my personal vehicles but ruled it out by just doing the standard routine, visual oil inspection, oil pressure, oil filter tear down, etc.
I would assume an oil sample can get pricey

Speedwoble

Not on a CUCV, but I bought a used car a few months back. I have been doing oil sampling to stretch out my oil change intervals. Thus far it is looking like I can run at least 5k mile intervals. And, having bought the car used, it gives me peace of mind that the internals are in good shape.

wayne pick

Search Caterpillar SOS resources. It has all the information you need about oil analysis. I worked for a contractor in the mid 80s that used this program with exelent results. CAT test's for all known engine contaminets not just carbon soot, fuel and glycoll. Far beter than independent labs or oil company testing programs.

Stickpit

I use oil analysis on ALL of my vehicles. It gives me a good picture as to what is going on inside the engines. Also, you would be suprised on how many miles you can get between oil changes by using this tool.

wayne pick

Hea Speedwoble, Is that guy "Sammy" still pedaling his bike arround town? Haven't been back there in years, I have a funny story about "sammy" If you want to hear it. Last time we were there we went to the B&B for lunch and discovered it was sold and turned into a taco joint. "The Pub" had the best Del'Monico steak arround. Nice place to live, people there still have old fashond values. I attended service school there in the late 80s while spinning wrenches at a Ford-New Holland dealership up here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks