• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil bath bearings?

Dave87

Ok this might be a dumb question but has anyone thought of using gear oil instead of grease in the front hubs these trucks? I know there would be some modifications required to get the oil in and I know the hubs would be sealed up good. I just would think that would be a better way.... maybe not. Let me know what you think.

zout

Dave
youi really better off with a good quality grease. Grease has a greater difficulty leaving the bearings like fluild gear oil's. If youi had a wheel seal leak you would loose the lube - someone pop the rubber cap off your hub you are in trouble unless you caught it.

Run them in water you should check the grease anyhow for contamination and far greater realiablity.

Dave87

That makes sense. I've also thought of putting grease zerts in the hub so I could shoot alittle grease in once in awhile. Don't get me wrong I'm not doing this to be lazy. I just want the bearings to last.

wkbrdngsnw

If you put a grease zerk on it where would the old grease go? It would just push out past the rear seal and make a big mess or make the hubs impossible to turn. There are greasible hubs on trailers but are spring loaded and have a bleed port that relives pressure and excess grease out the front by the grease zerk.

Matt1031

The seals weren't designed for true oil bath so they wouldn't hold oil for long. I know a lot of guys who will thin out their grease by pouring some 90wt in it and giving it a stir. Works pretty well, especially in REALLY cold weather when hubs tend to stick if you just use straight grease.

When I worked at Freightliner, we had one carrier that spec'd a "special" (read very expensive) grease for all their trailer bearings. It was the most vile disgusting hot pink color in the world and had the consistency of mayonaise, so it was pretty thin. Don't remember who made it, but was approved for disc brake/high temp service and due to it being very thin, it worked really well. Never had another bearing failure after they started using it. I'll look into it and see if I can figure out who made the stuff.

overkill375

These old hubs and seal systems would not be oil tight you would have a oozing mess. It would also be very difficult to get enough oil in there and get the hub back on.