• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil canister problem....

bruce187

This is my first post so bear with me please.... My problem is Im wanting to do my first oil change but one of the bolts on my oil filter canister is rounded off pretty bad... What would be my best bet in getting off and if i do should i replace it or would it be reusable??? thank you

20131028_231440.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vise lock pliers to break loss , it shouldn't be on to tight. Replace with a new bolt. Bolts are available

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using a Hex socket? If it doesn't want to go on, try trueing up the shoulders of the nut, with a file, so you get a good, full fit, and use a lot of down pressure, so it doesn't want to cam off.

If you haven't run your truck for a while, those filters will have mostly drained back into the engine, so they won't be so messey, when you change them out.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the Way, welcome to the site, and thanks for the picture - right on! It looks like a hex socket would work (from the picture). Adjustable wrenches,and pliers, make a mess of things.

Hainebd

Find the closest not going on 6 point socket and tap the socket on to the bolt with small hammer. An extension will aid in holding socket in position the tap with hammer. Then loosen with ratchet. Before you remove get replacement.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal torque is 60 ft lbs if I recall. Craftsman and others make sockets with "lobes" that might work, or try the vise grip as suggested. Replace that with a new bolt, otherwise it will only get worse.

ATPTac

Find the closest not going on 6 point socket and tap the socket on to the bolt with small hammer. An extension will aid in holding socket in position the tap with hammer. Then loosen with ratchet. Before you remove get replacement.
^^^ That is going to be the easiest/best way to do it. I use this trick all the time with rounded out bolt heads. But when you do this MAKE SURE you put enough downward pressure so the socket doesn't slip off, otherwise it will just make it worse.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a correct size 6 point socket should do it just fine.

bruce187

Hello guys very sorry took so long to reply..fallen on hard times and have no way to access the internet i do apologize.. I really appreciate all of your guys input on this problem im happy to report all is well and the oil change is done and the bolt replaced!!! THANKS GUYS!!! PS:Thanks for the warm welcome!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks