• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil change mess up

rev.chris

OK, i changed the oil and filters in my deuce, start it up and i have oil dumping out of the both filter housings, what did i screw up?

m109guy

Could be multiple problems.

Are the gaskets at the bottom of the cups still in place and in good shape? As well as the small gaskets at the top, under the bolt head?

Did you tighten the housings down enough or make sure that they are sitting in the flange properly? If they are not tight enough, or are sitting even just slightly off, oil will find a way to get out

Did you make sure to put the drain plug under the filter assembly back in? Some people forget to put the plug back in, as it sits in a bad place.

Try checking all that and see if you find something :)

wiggall

Did you use NAPA filters with their gaskets? If so the NAPA filters come with the WRONG gaskets for a Deuce:!: I might be able to get you the NAPA part # for the right gaskets later:!:

jatonka

I have the Napa 5119 correct gaskets if you don't find them locally. There are oil filter adaptors to trouble free spin-on filters available too. Pm me for info. JT out

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carquest 85133 comes with the correct gasket. When torquing the filter housing bolt, don't turn the housing, keep a steady, firm pressure on it.

Do not overtorque, the fine thread insert in the cast bracket may break loose.

Right click on image and open link in new window for full res or go to PS Magazine section (old site) for all info.

Attachments

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
heck,my napa filters came with correct gaskets.think they were napa gold 1133s,Came with the incorrect thin,the correct wide,and a washer gasket that don't fit the top......

dabtl

Some how JT has become the major source for the correct gaskets around here it seems.

For a guy selling the spin on adapters, that is very generous.

jimmcld

You can also get the cans cocked to one side if your not careful. From the amount of oil that you described, I would check that first. As was stated earlier, push the can up in place before tightening the bolt. It's a real pain and I think you will probably be a good candidate for some spin on's by the time your finished.

chaplain

Hee, Hee, I had the same problem 30 years ago. I had oil everywhere. Oh the memories. Definitly a gasket problem and I still remember that in my case I put the gasket in wrong. Glad you got it fixed. Yep the boss was mad at me took hours to clean up .

chappy

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't it amazing how a quart of oil on the ground looks like 10 gallons :roll:

BugEyeBear

Isn't it amazing how a quart of oil on the ground looks like 10 gallons :roll:

:ditto:YUP!

I used to have an old VW Van that marked it's territory everywhere it was parked.
Looked like it dripped a quart in every parking spot, BUT I never had to add any oil between changes!!
I SWORE it somehow MADE OIL!!! :confused:

-Bear-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks