• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil change Problem!

steved454

changing the oil in my m1028. Drained Oil- took old oil filter out- coated new oil filter with a little oil and installed it- put in 7 1/2 quarts of oil. Nothing showing on the dipstick!. Not sure what to do next. I did crank the truck for a minute. Still nothing.

changing the belts now while I figure out what to do. Oh yeh and I did not check dipstick when I got it so no reference point there.( ok you can call me a dipstick for that one or anything else)

thanks
steve

HardCorps79

1. Not to be insulting, but are you sure you are checking the oil dipstick and not the tranny one? The oil one is on the driver side of the engine. The tranny stick is on the top rear of the psgr side. (I only say this because a friend of mine new to this truck made the same mistake with a dry tranny and mistook it for the oil).

2. Did you prime the filter? On mine I had to completely fill it with oil upon installation (about a 1/2 qt) to get a proper reading and still ended up having to add an extra 1/2 quart through the crankcase tube. So mine was actually closer to 8 qts.

3. Someone stole it with a turkey baster when you weren't looking? :D

HardCorps79

Did you put the drain plug back in?
I might have done this as teenager. :oops:

I just let the plug fall into the drain pan, and then the oil covered it up and I forgot about it. Went to drink a coke while it drained. Came back, put the new filter on, and then I started filling it. My dad comes over yelling "STOP!" *whoops!*

Good memories, if somewhat embarrassing. Live and learn, I guess.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have done this as teenager. :oops:

I just let the plug fall into the drain pan, and then the oil covered it up and I forgot about it. Went to drink a coke while it drained. Came back, put the new filter on, and then I started filling it. My dad comes over yelling "STOP!" *whoops!*

Good memories, if somewhat embarrassing. Live and learn, I guess.

This makes me smile, not laugh, just Smile....:)

steved454

LOL yep I checked underneath to see if all the oil was pouring out somewhere. And no I did not prime the filter( crap I need to remember this stuff) MY older cars do not even use filters so I forget about priming them. 1928 ford and 1931 ford. I have 1 full gallon in it now and oil is just showing up on the dipstick( yeh I checked the right one) no offense taken there. I usually get the hard stuff right and screw up the easy stuff.

I quess I am going to run it for a good ten mins and let is set and see what happens.

I do not have to take the filter off and prime now do I?

hope not but I usually have to do the same steps over and over again.

Got the belts on anyway. I just do not want to mess up the engine with too much oil. If you have close to 8 quarts then I should be fine. 8 quarts in mine atm, not going to add anymore. I would hate to have to drain some oil out.( not fun)
crossing fingers

Last edited:

gasman

After warm up check level again and just add to the full mark. It is a good idea to fill the filter when changing oil this prevents dry start up and oil pump failure. Gasman

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the Lube Order LO 9-2320-289-12 the truck "should" take 7 qts with the filter. Sometimes the dipstick gets replaced or isn't accurate. I think you should be okay with 8qts.

Does your CUCV have a oil cooler ?

2 of my CUCV's do the M1008 and one of the M1028's have a small radiator that connects to the oil filter base area with aprox 1/2 steel tubing.

Ill attempt to get pics if Its not too cold when I get home tonight.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 1 full gallon in it now and oil is just showing up on the dipstick( yeh I checked the right one) no offense taken there.
If you have close to 8 quarts then I should be fine. 8 quarts in mine atm, not going to add anymore.
I'm confused:roll:

steved454

No I am the confused one( never a diesel). for some stupid reason my mind added up 1 gallon = 8 qts. I went to the store and bought more oil and opened it.It then hit me how stupid I was, on my 5th qt I realized my math error. sorry for the trouble. It all started this morning when I was pulled over by the police. One of these trucks where stolen and I was question on it since I had no tag of info in the truck with me( all that was sitting in the shop where I neatly set it so I would not forget it!)No worries though I had my Fire department ID and at that time 4 PD units where there and most just wanted to know about the truck and all where looking into buying one themselves. No excuse but that was my morning then the whole 1 gallon equels 8 qts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I will now rename myself mr. confused!
just wait until you see my next thread.

CUCV85

According to the Lube Order LO 9-2320-289-12 the truck "should" take 7 qts with the filter. Sometimes the dipstick gets replaced or isn't accurate. I think you should be okay with 8qts.
:arrow:yeah everything says 7 quarts with filter,
Any one I have ever changed takes (2 gallons rotella ) ;-)
or (8 quarts) with fliter your choice of 15w 40 diesel engine oil.
Maybe that 7 qts with filter was a typo?
crankcase 7qts & filter 1/2 qt still would be 7 1/2qts !?
dunno takes 8 though! :roll: