• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil change with spin on filters

AMX

Do the spin on filters make more of a mess? I figured they would be full of oil since they have anti drain back valves.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I changed my spin on filters, they did make a mess. As I unscrewed them a quart of oil or so slobbered out all over the driver's side of the engine and down.

Look at it this way - it's free rustproofing!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the brand of filter and the quality of the filter. With Westfolk's you can run a bunch of different filters and I've had less mess with some than others. The anti drain back is really just a rubber flap, so if it's a higher quality filter, it "should" hold the oil in better.

I change my oil once a year and often get a some oil leaking out when I do the filters. I change my oil filters every three months, just because it's cheap and easy so when I change the filters and not the oil I do it after the truck has sat over night and never have a mess.

baxter

When I change mine I punch a hole in the top with a screwdriver and it allows the oil to flow back down. Then there is no mess.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I change mine I punch a hole in the top with a screwdriver and it allows the oil to flow back down. Then there is no mess.
How does a hole in the top (which is really the bottom since it's upside down) allow oil past the anti drain back valve (rubber flap) which is near the engine? Assuming you're running anti drain back filters. If not then I see how this would help the filter breath and the oil to drain out.

Jimma

I changed mine last week. My spin on bases were made by Jatonka with WIX filters. I unscrewed them and one did not drip a drop, the other filter leaked a very small amount out. It was cleaner and easier than the canisters on my other deuce. A lot faster too.

Katahdin

Hmmm..... pardon my ignorance here, but doesn't the anti-drainback valve only prevent back flow to the oil pump? So would puncturing the top of the filter release a suction that would allow the oil to drain forward to the oil cooler?

I don't really know if there is a suction holding the oil into the filter, but looking at how a filter is contructed I just don't understand how the anti-drainback valve is preventing oil from flowing through the center of the filter (return hole) without one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Katahdin

I think I answered my own question, oil from the cooler is probably draining back to the filter as well.

However, there appears to be an oil drain plug under the filters, now I'm wondering if the oil inside the filters and cooler can be drained from that.

Hooty481

I haven't changed my filters yet with the screw on application becaue they have only been on a couple of months. I do know that the anti drain back hold back some oil but not nearly all of it. I also know that i punch a hole in the filters after i get them off of my other vehicles so the oil can drian on back into the oil pan and there is a considerable amount of oil the with come out.

Taurus454

My question is how do you and what do you drain the five gallons of oil into? :roll: I'm thinking of using a 5 gallon water bottle. Might try and catch the oil with a funnel and a hose that runs into the water bottle.

Any iinsight or deas would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is how do you and what do you drain the five gallons of oil into? :roll: I'm thinking of using a 5 gallon water bottle. Might try and catch the oil with a funnel and a hose that runs into the water bottle.

Any iinsight or deas would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Water bottle? Do you have a home improvement store? Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc ? Get two five gallon buckets with lids. Can't be any easier. You could probably get by with one, but they're cheap. No need to fill it to the very top. A water bottle would suck.

Jimma

You would be happier with 5 gallon buckets, cleaner, easier and when it starts to get to a thin line of oil coming out it blows with the breeze and will be all over our water bottle. Just get under there with two 5 gallon buckets. You dont have to fill them and risk splashing them when your moving them out from under. New orange buckets as HD are like 2.99 or something and they are clean and you can get matching lids.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks