• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Consumption Question

biped

What is normal oil consumption for a 6.2 with 123,000 miles? I use it under normal driving conditions although I drive under 30 mph on ranch roads 30% if the time and 4 wheel drive once or twice a month. I bought my '86 CUCV a year ago. I only recently started keeping records on oil consumption but appears I add a quart about every 1,200 miles with oil changes every 3,000 miles. I'm needing to replace a valve cover gasket but it's not leaving an oil spot. I could be oozing a bit more from some other areas. I don't see visible smoke from exhaust. Is this high?

rsh4364

In my 85 1009 I would use or lose 1qt every 3k,my 86 doesn't lose or use even a qt.every 3k.I run rotella t-6 in each.I suspect my 85 had 164k on it not 64k,but oil psi at idle was 18 when hot and compression on cylinders was still in 375 psi range.The 86 carries 25 for oil pressure when hot and all cylinders at 425-430 range on compression check.

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Engines are like individuals and can vary in oil use from drips and consumption. Different oil brands and weights will act differently. I would put a big cardboard mat under the truck and let it run to check for leaks. Mercedes Benz engines had a large oil usage limit before rebuild ,several quarts per 1000 miles by memory. If your truck starts well and has normal power and not a lot of blow by , I would feel a little oil use would be ok. Mark

jpg

The 6.2 oil seals are designed to work with a slight crankcase vacuum, which is maintained by a well-sealing oil fill cap, dipstick, the CDR, and the associated vacuum hoses and fittings. There are multiple SS threads on this. My 6.2 used a quart of oil every 100 miles on the recovery drive. New oil cap, CDR, and vacuum lines dropped that to a small fraction of a quart every 3,000 miles.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Use" and "leak" are 2 different things....

A leak, as long as you pour it in as fast as it comes out is no big deal.

Using a quart every 1000 miles shouldn't be a big deal either if everything else is within spec.

biped

Thanks to everybody. I need to get a compression check. I replaced a vacuum hose but the new one leaks too. The mechanical fuel pump was bypassed with an electric pump and I found an open hose on the old one that was sucking air. I plugged that. I need to take off that old pump. Oil filler cap loose. The truck runs good. Basic transportation for town and highway and useful for ranch use. I like it.

Hasdrubal

Mine also uses a quart every 1000 miles. Been like that since I got it 11 years ago. Daily driver, put over a 100,000 miles on it since.