• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooled vs non-oil cooled pistons.

madsam

I always hear that the 855-250 cumins in these trucks don't have oil cooled pistons. Does anyone have a pic of a oil cooled piston vs non-oil cooled?

I assume the oil cooled has holes in it that oil runs through the head of the piston. Does it have different rods for the extra oil? I would assume the oil would need to be cooled well, so having an extra oil cooler or a bigger oil cooler might be needed. Do any of the diesel guys have any info on this?

No.2Diesel

I'm probably not 100% correct here but:

I think when any engine (gas or diesel) is referred to as having oil cooled pistons it means:

That there are nozzles pointing upward below the cylinders that spray oil at the underside of the pistons to keep temperatures down.

I'm sure there are other methods to do the same thing though.

Here's a pic

Attachments

madsam

Aaa. I have seen a rod that had holes to spray the bottom of the piston. I think it was a slant 6 dodge. But I thought it was to oil the cylinder wall for lubrication. If that is the case, are the pistons different or just an oil sprayer?

If it is just an oil squirter, It seems that you could mod that in easily.. If that is the case?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A piston cooled 855 has plastic, or, depending on how old it is, metal nozzles inserted into the block on the oil cooler side of the engine, apx 1/2 way up the length of the block from the pan rail. Sorry, I've been here a bit and still can't post a pic like cranetruck!

Attachments

madsam

Thanks. This is good info. Is there a pic of the inside of the block on an oil cooled 855?

One question. What is a "boss"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks