• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooler bypass

SRB1976

My oil cooler lines are leaking on my M1009. Instead of replacing them I've thought about bypassing it. Is it as easy as removing the lines and plugging the holes in the block or do I have to plug the ports in the radiator too? Will I have oil pressure issues? I was doing a search and come across other posts from other websites saying if I plug the block and bypass the oil cooler the engine will starve for oil. Any truth to this?

Last edited:

evldoer

When I got my m1008 the oil cooler lines were missing. All I did was install plugs in the block. I have been using the truck on a regular basis for over 2 years and have never had a problem. If I remember correctly just a standard pair of pipe plugs will fit. I didnt do anything with the cooler in the radiator. Just left the ports open. Sorry, but I Dont remember the size though.

gungearz

You can plug the block and run with the ports open on the radiator.... or you can buy a auxiliary oil cooler kit for around $30 and use that instead... my personal preference is to ditch all of the coolers inside the radiator and use that for just antifreeze because you don't want anymore heat in there if at all possible... then get 2 big auxiliary transmission and oil coolers, mount them to the radiator and put a auxiliary electric pusher fan mounted right on the outside of the radiator... if you off road at all, that will keep it at cooler temperatures...

Westech

CPL
You guys do know that liquid to liquid cooling is ten times more efficient the liquid to air right? You can't beat a liquid to liquid oil cooler. Also when installing a trans cooler you out the liquid to air cooler AFTER The radiator cooler. Fix it right with the 6.2 .... That oil gets wicked hot with out the cooler.

SRB1976

Update: I just went ahead and bypassed the engine oil cooler lines today using 3/8'' pipe plugs but I left the metal lines intact that go across the front of the radiator just in case I decide to put new lines back in. Everything seems fine but the truck still leaks oil.aua Even after changing the rear main seal and pan gasket it still leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks