• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooler lines

diesel583

Caution Oil Cooler Lines. Had one leaking needed truck bought after market, end broke off on interstate at 50mph. Cooked 6.2 before I could shut it down. Lasted 150 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westech

CPL
sounds like install error. I have done 1000's and 1000's of oil cooler and assorted aftermarket lines and never had one just brake. I know for a fact that if you do not install them correct and use all the factory mounting points you will brake them. But if done right there not a issue.

16 year Master ASE

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One new line I installed, rubbed though and leaked, within a week of installing it. It rotated slightly,and touched the underside of the cab. I had left the support bracket off because it was not an exact fit as the OEM line.(bad idea)

Next import line, I made a new bracket/loop thingie, to hold it in place(within 1/2" of where the OEM line was. I wrapped the new bracket with friction tape to protect the aluminum lines. Been there for about 6000 miles. so far, so good.

20 year ASE ass kicker...

Westech

CPL
yeah but I master beater lol. Really if you install it wrong its going to take a dump. Yes the aftermarket is not always better, you just have to know whats going on. It is not something you pick up over night.

airmech

Most of the replacement parts out there are now made in China and completely worthless. For a little more than the cost of Dorman Chinease hoses, you can replace them with -8 AN Aeroquip hose that will last a long time. They are very easy to make, the only difficulty is getting a 37* flare tool (not real common outside of aviation). I cut the steel ends off at the hose crimp, added a b-nut/flare and made the hoses to fit. Much better quality than oem and no worries about oil hose failure.

diesel583

Just tryng to give everybody a heads up. It was china made about half as heavy as OEM. Tied down as original. Broke at the nut buy the oil filter. I have been an ASE Master Tech for over 30 years. Parts house is trying to get the manufacturer to buy me a long block

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand hose was it, that failed? I noticed that NAPA has their own part number, but it is a Dorman hose.

southdave

What is the Opinion of pluging the factory oil hose passages and instaling sandwich filter thingy and installing a aftermarket cooler BTW I have installed this, it a 3/8 system with hi temp blue hose stuff and maybe I should have done something else?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can simply remove the original hoses and fittings and the engine block oil passages are just pipe-thread.

You could just assemble any combination of hose barb to hose or whatever,and connect it to a universal oil cooler, instead of using the original setup.

I suppose you could just use 2 pipe plugs and eliminate the oil cooler all together. Did any 6.2 diesels come without any engine oil coolers?

southdave

Supposed the marine engine (boat) would not have them. Thanks dh I just spent 50 bucks on that setup and fought for 20 min. to get the oil filter back on, it a tight mother th ere with the sandwich filterand hoses

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks